Mint 20 animation on games very jerky after update installation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 20 animation on games very jerky after update installation

Post by sevenmpd »

Earlier today I installed 5 updates to be honest I tend to install all updates shortly after I noted that the animation on my games was very jerky and suspect it was one of the updates ! So using Timeshift I restored my system to a previous date now everything is back to normal. The attachment show the updates so can I ignore one or more of them ? would welcome suggestions please
H
updates.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Update Problem

Post by Moonstone Man »

sevenmpd wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:15 pm So using Timeshift I restored my system to a previous date now everything is back to normal.
To find out if an update is really causing the problem, as opposed to woo woo or outright synchronicity, apply one update only at a time, reboot and test.

Once you've done that, then we can look at the impact of pinning an update so it's not applied in the future.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for your reply I have installed the updates one at a time and the problem is the second item down 'mint drivers' so I'm thinking I don't have any driver issues at the moment so I'll just ignore this update comments welcomed
H
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, sevenmpd.

The updated mintdrivers causes your problems?
Actually this seems to be weird, because mintdrivers is not a set of drivers, which have been updated, but it is the tool to manage drivers.
Therefore updating mintdrivers should only be able to cause problems, once you really launch mintdrivers.
Really weird.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I think it is interesting that 2 different people have just today, installed updates, mintdrivers and mintsystem, and both are reporting problems although different in nature, these are the 2 updates that both OPs have in common and problems occured immediately after the update...DAMIEN

Here is the link to the other OPs situation.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=334467
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

One detail, which looks fishy to me, is that here in this thread the new mintdrivers version is 1.5.0. But my machine received 1.5.1 only today. (LM 19.3)

P.S.:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list mintdrivers mintsystem
||/ Name                          Version             Architektur         Beschreibung
+++-=============================-===================-===================-===============================================================
ii  mintdrivers                   1.5.1               all                 Driver Manager
ii  mintsystem                    8.5.0               all                 Linux Mint System Base Package
Checking packages.linuxmint.com, all releases from 19.x to 20 seem to have received precisely the releases, mentioned above.

mintlocale 1.5.7 reveals: the sevenmpd uses LM 20, not LM 19.3 like me.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

karlchen wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:31 am One detail, which looks fishy to me, is that here in this thread the new mintdrivers version is 1.5.0. But my machine received 1.5.1 only today. (LM 19.3)

P.S.:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list mintdrivers mintsystem
||/ Name                          Version             Architektur         Beschreibung
+++-=============================-===================-===================-===============================================================
ii  mintdrivers                   1.5.1               all                 Driver Manager
ii  mintsystem                    8.5.0               all                 Linux Mint System Base Package
Checking packages.linuxmint.com, all releases from 19.x to 20 seem to have received precisely the releases, mentioned above.

mintlocale 1.5.7 reveals: the sevenmpd uses LM 20, not LM 19.3 like me.
Running Mint 20 I received 1.5.0 followed later by 1.5.1. I use the UK University of Kent Mirror Service.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for all the comments as Ive said until someone suggested a definitive answer I'll not install this update
H
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 20 animation on games very jerky after update installation

Post by sevenmpd »

Since my original problem I have been wary of allowing updates so it may seem a silly question how is one supposed to know which update are need and which are not ?

H
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

sevenmpd wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:36 pm Since my original problem I have been wary of allowing updates so it may seem a silly question how is one supposed to know which update are need and which are not ?

H
That is not really your question, is it? Your question is what updates can I install and be 100% sure that they will not cause any problems.

Updates include bug fixes, so you want to install them if you are using software which uses them. However, you are smart and use Timeshift, so in the case where one of them might cause a problem, you can roll back.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
sevenmpd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sevenmpd »

Thanks for reply I do use timeshift which rescued me last time
H

Return to “Beginner Questions”