Burn windows

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tsla
Level 3
Level 3

Burn windows

Post by Tsla »

how can i burn windows 7 on usb with linux? balena etcher cant recognize win iso, tried other apps too but they cant recognize usb :D any solution?
Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Burn windows

Post by Moem »

Tsla wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:00 am
tried other apps too
That's too vague to be useful. Was WoeUSB among them?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

If you're talking about creating a bootable USB that will contain the Windows 7 ISO from which you can install Windows 7, then I'll 2nd WoeUSB. It's not perfect, but it does work and usually does quite well.

If you're talking about installing Windows 7 onto a USB so that you can boot & run the operating system from it, then I recommend that you DON'T. Besides the fact that it's no longer supported, it's also *painfully* slow. The Windows 7 kernel does not have USB 3 drivers built in, so you'd be stuck running the OS at USB 2 speeds. Can it be done? Yes. Will it allow you to run Windows programs & games? Not many! A virtual machine on a USB 3 external disk is orders of magnitude faster, and would be my recommended method if you need to maintain any Windows 7 machines.
Tsla
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tsla »

im not switching to win, i just need it for specific reason, i had some trouble with intalling WoeUSB, could you help?
Tsla
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tsla »

Moem wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:06 am
Tsla wrote:
tried other apps too
That's too vague to be useful. Was WoeUSB among them?
Cool could you help?
hayden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hayden »

Moem
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Moem »

Tsla wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:44 am
could you help?
I already did.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

I'm not sure which version of Mint you have, but on mine it's available in the software manager? Just do a search for it, click install, allow dependencies... and you're done?
hayden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hayden »

i dont know what op has, but in my mint 20 its not in the repos
ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

hayden wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm
i dont know what op has, but in my mint 20 its not in the repos
I can see it's no longer there in Mint 20 - - either it used to be & I installed, or I added a PPA and forgot. :( Apologies!

Another possibly easier option might be to avoid WoeUSB altogether & use Ventoy.
You need a good-sized USB stick - - preferably at least 16GB - - but if you have one it becomes quite easy.

Basically, you would need to download & extract the Ventoy installation files. Install it to your USB stick. (It will completely format your USB, so make sure to save anything off of it that you need to keep!)
Once it's installed, you simply copy the Windows .ISO file onto the USB stick. That's it! The Ventoy software contains a boot loader that will automatically detect any .ISO files located on the USB, and give you a menu to select which ISO you want to boot. Use the keyboard to select your Windows .ISO, and *BOOM* - - you're good to go! :wink:

NOTE: If you're installing Windows 7, you should probably use a USB 2.0 stick rather than USB 3. Windows 7's lack of USB 3 drivers in the kernel can cause issues with installation. Read the Ventoy FAQ for more info.

The beauty of it is that you can add or remove .ISO images on the fly. Want to create a bootable Mint USB? Just download the .ISO onto that same USB stick! It'll appear on the boot loader menu the next time you boot from that USB. Want to delete the Windows .ISO? Easy as can be - simply delete the .ISO from the USB.

Edit: Link to install document for both Windows & Linux, if you choose to use this option: Installation

Edit #2: Found it! I had installed from a .DEB file using the "bionic" version - - back when I still had Mint 19. Can't say whether it'd work still with Mint 20, however?
I'm not sure if it's permitted, so apologies in advance if I shouldn't do this... but I'll link the file here.

Edit #3: Repository of .DEB files for Mint (well, Ubuntu) for Mint 17 through 20: https://pkgs.org/download/woeusb
AndyMH
Level 15
Level 15

Post by AndyMH »

Have you tried the built-in usb image writer, I've used it in the past with a win10 iso successfully?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Tsla wrote:
how can i burn windows 7 on usb with linux? balena etcher cant recognize win iso, tried other apps too but they cant recognize usb :D any solution?
Burn Windoze...Great idea. Image

You can create a copy of your purchased Win 7 Disk and put it on a DVD...I did this years ago but that was in Windoze but I've never put it on a Flash Drive...maybe M$ wont allow this. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.

Return to “Newbie Questions”