[SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by JTemple »

Driver Manager suggests I download drivers for the cleanly install system. The last time I did so, well that was where all previous troubles began. So of the following, what should I SAFELY choose? Thank You for any advice.
Screenshot from 2020-11-14 14-55-44.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Drive Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by Larry78723 »

Install the recommended driver, the top one.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Actually the nvidia 450 at the bottom of the list is the one to go for. The server one is not designed for use with desktop environments.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

There's no harm in sticking with the nouveau drivers.
If it works, just leave well enough alone.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:32 pm Driver Manager suggests I download drivers for the cleanly install sdystem. The last time I did so, well that was where all previous troubles began. So of the following, what should I SAFELY choose? Thank You for any advice.
What were the "previous troubles"?

The driver Nvidia recommends appears to be the one at the bottom of the list. The 450 without the word server. However, one would need to know what the "troubles" were in order to make a proper recommendation. Also we should know more about the machine. It would be helpful if you provided the results of inxi -SMCGx.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

The recommended one usually winds up being proprietary; that is, what's actually being done is kept secret from you.
MartyMint wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm There's no harm in sticking with the nouveau drivers.
If it works, just leave well enough alone.
Agreed. I've used the Nouveau driver for years and have been happy, unless I try to play games, but I have an XBOX for that. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

SMG wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:14 pm
JTemple wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:32 pm Driver Manager suggests I download drivers for the cleanly install sdystem. The last time I did so, well that was where all previous troubles began. So of the following, what should I SAFELY choose? Thank You for any advice.
What were the "previous troubles"?

The driver Nvidia recommends appears to be the one at the bottom of the list. The 450 without the word server. However, one would need to know what the "troubles" were in order to make a proper recommendation. Also we should know more about the machine. It would be helpful if you provided the results of inxi -SMCGx.
Back some days ago my system suddenly got really, really slow & was freezing when it went to screen saver. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334809 New driver was said to be required and I did what was suggested. THEN: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334868 AND THEN, finally, in desperation I decided to start over with a fresh, clean install: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334997 Of course, when one boots up a fresh system, lots of updates are required but those driver suggestions make me nervous now. It's been a He!!ish ride for a few days!

As per your suggestion:

Code: Select all

jennifer@jennifer-Inspiron-3668:~$ inxi -SMCGx
System:
  Host: jennifer-Inspiron-3668 Kernel: 5.4.0-53-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 3668 v: N/A 
  serial: <superuser/root required> 
  Mobo: Dell model: 07KY25 v: A00 serial: <superuser/root required> 
  UEFI: Dell v: 1.14.0 date: 06/18/2020 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-7700 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: 9 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 57600 
  Speed: 900 MHz min/max: 800/4200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 900 2: 900 
  3: 900 4: 900 5: 900 6: 900 7: 900 8: 900 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Dell driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 
  direct render: Yes 
Last edited by JTemple on Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Sounds like you're better off sticking with what you have then, which I'm guessing is the Nouveau one. The driver suggestions can be entirely ignored, frankly. The issues you had were probably solved long ago when the kernel (many drivers therein) got updated a bunch of times.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Termy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:18 am Sounds like you're better off sticking with what you have then, which I'm guessing is the Nouveau one. The driver suggestions can be entirely ignored, frankly. The issues you had were probably solved long ago when the kernel (many drivers therein) got updated a bunch of times.
I'm not jumping at anything, yet. The only reason I did last time was the lack of appropriate driver was was really messing with the system. As one can see in the subject links I posted above. It was a series of updates (I'm pretty sure) I did just before my system went to pot & I installed a recommended driver, that got me into all of the messes noted in my prior post. Updates are not always a benign as one might think!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Ah, so it was changing the display driver which messed things up, then?

Yeah, I agree that updates CAN be problematic, but it's usually quite rare, especially if you leave things like drivers and kernels alone (except for security reasons); that said, whether you have supported hardware or not does also play a roll in deciding your fate.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

That's listed as a desktop, and there's 2 gpu's, which suggests the Nvidia is a discrete separate card, with its own monitor port.

Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050]
The onboard one is the current one being used, which is not going to use nouveau(nvidia open source) or nvidia(proprietary) drivers.
The current renderer is shown as Intel(the onboard gpu).

OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 630 (KBL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 

The fbdev kernel module is not loaded, which it would be if you were porting that shown Intel output through the Nivida gpu card, so that points to the single monitor being plugged to the onboard gpu.

Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
All this implies that the Nvidia card is irrelevant in this setup, -you can take it out and put it in a drawer to save on your power bill. :P

Me, I would shut down, plug the monitor into the Nvidia card, get in the BIOS and disable the onboard gpu and install that 450 driver. :D
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

zcot wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:05 am
All this implies that the Nvidia card is irrelevant in this setup, -you can take it out and put it in a drawer to save on your power bill. :P

Me, I would shut down, plug the monitor into the Nvidia card, get in the BIOS and disable the onboard gpu and install that 450 driver. :D
So the connection being made is from the monitor with a cable (HDMI) to the motherboard video output (HDMI) and not to one of the graphics card's output ports?

You've got to joking..... :|
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

So, after all of that, is it to say I don't really need any of those drivers? Would I be better off using a VGA monitor connection? My monitor only has the 2 options VGA or HMDI. What ever, if it's not broken I am not about to fix it!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

MartyMint wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:18 am So the connection being made is from the monitor with a cable (HDMI) to the motherboard video output (HDMI) and not to one of the graphics card's output ports?

You've got to joking..... :|
I don't know.

I think the motherboard has VGA and HDMI. But I can't find any good pics of what that hardware would be.

And the 1050 has a DVI and maybe 2 hdmi connections, but it might be a proprietary setup and all-in-one like an Optimus laptop would be.
JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:56 am Would I be better off using a VGA monitor connection? My monitor only has the 2 options VGA or HMDI.
No, VGA is not better than HDMI.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

zcot has mentioned the key points I have noticed. Your computer is currently running graphics from your igpu (Intel) and not running them from the gpu (Nvidia). If you only want to use Intel then you probably do not have to do anything further (presuming your monitor is connected into the correct port).

You should really check what options you have in your computers BIOS/UEFI for running graphics. Usually on a desktop the options are to run either the Intel or the Nvidia, but you would have to check to see what options your BIOS provides. I suspect you have the option for Hybrid graphics, or a similar term, based on inxi output you provided in one of the referenced threads. Normally a desktop does not have a hybrid option, so those on the forum helping you would not know to ask about it. This may be where all the confusion is coming from.

You would also need to check to see which card/port your monitor in connected to. The Intel HD Graphics 630 has two ports, HDMI and VGA. The normal stand-alone Nvidia GTX 1050 card has three ports, DVI, HDMI, and Displayport. I do not know how your computer is set up to know what ports are available and into which port your monitor is plugged.
JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 amBack some days ago my system suddenly got really, really slow & was freezing when it went to screen saver. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334809 New driver was said to be required and I did what was suggested.
I checked this thread and you were running with Intel graphics. You did not provide an updated inxi at the end of the thread, so I do not know what did or did not happen. If your computer only permits one or the other (Intel or Nvida) then changing to the Nvidia driver did nothing for your graphics. If you were running in hybrid mode (which I suspect you were) then it would have made a difference.
JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 amTHEN: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334868
This thread indicates you had Secure Boot on. That means if you installed the Nvidia driver the system must have asked you for password information for the keys so they matched and the Nvidia driver modules could be built and install during the boot up process.
JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:15 amAND THEN, finally, in desperation I decided to start over with a fresh, clean install: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=334997 Of course, when one boots up a fresh system, lots of updates are required but those driver suggestions make me nervous now.
The inxi data at the start of this thread (which I include below) indicates the Nvidia driver is being used and the way it is loaded indicates you have the option of switching between Intel and Nvidia just like a hybrid laptop (a possibility indicated by zcot). That means you should probably have the Nvidia prime applet installed so you can manage your graphics properly if you are going to use the Nvidia driver. You would also have the option of using the Optimus technology. (Check the Ulyana release notes for information on what Nvidia Prime and Optimus can do.)

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 630 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel 
  bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] vendor: Dell driver: nvidia 
  v: 450.80.02 bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting,nvidia 
  unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 450.80.02 
So a key part of all this is you knowing how your computer is designed/set up.
-- What set up options does your computer have in BIOS/EFI with regards to graphics and how are they currently set?
-- Is your monitor connected to the igpu (Intel) or the gpu (Nvidia) ports?
-- How do you intend to use your computer? Do you need the capability of the Nvidia gpu? (It is already paid for and installed.)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

SMG wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:09 pm
That's what I was wondering about. Monitor to motherboard graphics port, or monitor to GPU graphics port?
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MartyMint wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:01 pm
That's what I was wondering about. Monitor to motherboard graphics port, or monitor to GPU graphics port?
How would I be able to know without opening the case. I looked around bios but that did not enlighten me and maybe I don't know what I'm looking for?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pm
MartyMint wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:01 pm
How would I be able to know without opening the case.
Inspiron 3668 Setup and Specifications indicates "NOTE: If you ordered your computer with a discrete graphics card, connect the display to the discrete graphics card."

Nvidia is a discrete graphics card. Maybe you can compare what you have to the images on the webpage? My best guess is the ports for the igpu (Intel) are the ones near the top left and the ones for Nvidia would be in the middle above where you plug in the power. My guestimate is based on comparing that page to another page Inspiron 3668 Service Manual: Removing the graphics card with photos.
JTemple wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pmI looked around bios but that did not enlighten me and maybe I don't know what I'm looking for?
There are a lot of different BIOS configurations. It may be that you can not change it and it is always "hybrid". I would suggest checking the Dell support site for information about whether or not you can switch the graphics (or Dell support themselves if the computer is still under warranty).
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by zcot »

If that service manual is accurate to this case, there's definitely 2 DVI ports, although they don't show well enough because of that handle in the way, if there's also an HDMI port.

Any of the other 1050's I see that are not Dell brand like this one, have DVI and HDMI outputs.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [SOLVED] Driver Manager Offerings / What to Do

Post by Termy »

Oh my Lord. I can't believe I didn't see that. That's what I get for forgetting people have two GPUs at the same time. :roll: Well-spotted, zcot. I usually disable my ondie graphics. lol

Return to “Beginner Questions”