Video Down Loader Stopped Working [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Video Down Loader Stopped Working

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:44 pm I couldn't see where it would list youtube-dl or dlc.
You'll have to add it via the options.
1. Click on "Add Browser".
2. In the window popping up give it a name like "Download with youtube-dl" and add the command: /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl.
3. You can choose an icon there as well.

Screenshot

[Edit]
And if a download fails, you can add the --verbose (or -v) option to your command in the terminal like this:
youtube-dlc -v [URL], so you can post the output in a forum like https://reddit.com/r/youtubedl.

One more thing though; you must have ffmpeg installed as well, to be able to download all available resolutions.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
marts123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by marts123 »

For what its worth, having run into the same problem with video downloader, I found this on sourgeforge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/youtube-dl-gtk/
Features

Download videos from YouTube and a few other sites
Gives a graphical error notification in the event of a problem
Has an installer/uninstaller for Linux systems as well as Windows
Can be ran without installing
Tarball version will run on all supported systems, no digging for the right executable for your OS
Displays a terminal with the output of youtube-dl in the background so that if something out of the ordinary happens, the output of youtube-dl is visible instead of being hidden so you can diagnose what happened yourself.

The video on the page explains how to use it. You can even install it if you choose..
I had to install python3-tk to get it to work, but that is available via the software manager..
Its another option..
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

If you have VLC and a browser already installed, you have the means to download YT videos. Copy the YT video link, paste it while focused on the VLC GUI in order to play it, pause the video, go to Tools/Codec Information, copy the text in the "Location:" box at the bottom of the dialog window, paste it into your browser and you'll then have the video playing directly in your browser. You can now just right click "save video as"...
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

@ marts23 and the Streak. Thanks for the suggestions but both of those went right over my head. Right now, I've got a lot going on (and not just with this computer; I wasn't this busy before I retired), youtube-dl is working just fine for me and is easy to use, and I also have youtube-dlc installed should I need a backup so I'm sticking with them for now. I might later come back to this in the future though.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

theStreak wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:00 pm If you have VLC and a browser already installed, you have the means to download YT videos. Copy the YT video link, paste it while focused on the VLC GUI in order to play it, pause the video, go to Tools/Codec Information, copy the text in the "Location:" box at the bottom of the dialog window, paste it into your browser and you'll then have the video playing directly in your browser. You can now just right click "save video as"...
This is interesting.
Is there a way to control the download resolution?
It seems to be based on the "Auto" mode which depends on bandwidth and
seems to ignore the settings selected for direct viewing from the site.
It works, but always seems to get just 720 res
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Video Down Loader Stopped Working [Solved]

Post by all41 »

There is another method using vlc but in real-time.
First in the vlc toolbar click View and enable Advanced Controls.
That gives you a red Record button in the transport controls.
Then in the toolbar Media/Open Network Stream
and paste the video url there. When the video is acquired press the red record button.
The default save path is ~/home but can be directed elsewhere.
Works nicely for videos, audio streams, online radio,
It records in real-time so you record as you watch or as you listen--if you pause the video that is
recorded as well---wysiwyg
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 pm @ marts23 and the Streak. Thanks for the suggestions but both of those went right over my head. Right now, I've got a lot going on (and not just with this computer; I wasn't this busy before I retired), youtube-dl is working just fine for me and is easy to use, and I also have youtube-dlc installed should I need a backup so I'm sticking with them for now. I might later come back to this in the future though.
Your issue with youtube-dlc might be resolved by now!
Today the new version 2020.10.31 was released. :D

By the way, did you manage to add youtube-dl(c) to your right-click menu?
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

nicolaasjan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:54 pm @ marts23 and the Streak. Thanks for the suggestions but both of those went right over my head. Right now, I've got a lot going on (and not just with this computer; I wasn't this busy before I retired), youtube-dl is working just fine for me and is easy to use, and I also have youtube-dlc installed should I need a backup so I'm sticking with them for now. I might later come back to this in the future though.
Your issue with youtube-dlc might be resolved by now!
Today the new version 2020.10.31 was released. :D

By the way, did you manage to add youtube-dl(c) to your right-click menu?
How the heck do I update? I didn't see anywhere on the page you linked on how to do it (I'm learning to really hate github!).

I haven't bothered to add youtube dl(c) to my right click menu. It isn't a high priority right now.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:48 am How the heck do I update? I didn't see anywhere on the page you linked on how to do it (I'm learning to really hate github!).

I haven't bothered to add youtube dl(c) to my right click menu. It isn't a high priority right now.
For now you can just update by running the commands I gave above again:

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://github.com/blackjack4494/yt-dlc/releases/latest/download/youtube-dlc -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dlc
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dlc
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

nicolaasjan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:48 am How the heck do I update? I didn't see anywhere on the page you linked on how to do it (I'm learning to really hate github!).

For now you can just update by running the commands I gave above again:

sudo wget https://github.com/blackjack4494/yt-dlc/releases/latest/download/youtube-dlc -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dlc
Thank you! Done. I made and saved a tutorial for this because I know darned well I won't remember it.
Jeannie

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Lady Fitzgerald",

FYI-1: The 4K Video downloader lets you choose from available download resolutions.

FYI-2: Unless I am mistaken, to update the youtube-dlc app, you just repeat the installation instructions. This worked for me yesterday. I wait a few seconds into a video, right-click the video and select copy address, and paste that into the console terminal window after the youtube-dlc command. I think you can also list various resolution downloads and pick one.
DO NOT UPDATE using -U ! instead download binaries again or when installed with pip use described above when installing.
These are the instructions I used to install youtube-dlc and to update it.

To install or update this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Example Gimp 2.10 tutorial

youtube-dlc --no-check-certificate https://youtu.be/x6pXJ7Ijir0

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:31 pm Thank you! Done. I made and saved a tutorial for this because I know darned well I won't remember it.
No problem. :)

And yeah, I know GitHub can very daunting when you see it for the first time, but it is sometimes inevitable when you need an up to date version of an open source program (Linux Mint unfortunately has outdated versions most of the time).

And in regard to tutorials or archiving; did you know you can save complete webpages as a single html file with the "Save Page WE"?
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

nicolaasjan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:26 pm ...And in regard to tutorials or archiving; did you know you can save complete webpages as a single html file with the "Save Page WE"?
For a complete webpage, I just right click, hit print, then select PDF. I can also highlight the parts I want to save, then right click and print to PDF. When I'm being more persnickty (not often), I copy and paste elements into a Libre Office document, edit as needed (or desired), then either save or export to PDF.

In this case, the tutorial was so brief, I just typed it up outright, copy and pasting in only the terminal commands themselves. It took only a minute even at the slow rate I type.
Jeannie

nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm For a complete webpage, I just right click, hit print, then select PDF. I can also highlight the parts I want to save, then right click and print to PDF. When I'm being more persnickty (not often), I copy and paste elements into a Libre Office document, edit as needed (or desired), then either save or export to PDF.

In this case, the tutorial was so brief, I just typed it up outright, copy and pasting in only the terminal commands themselves. It took only a minute even at the slow rate I type.
I've tried saving as pdf in my browser on various occasions as well, but most of the time the formatting is just plain terrible...
And indeed, pasting in LibreOffice works better.
I use this web extension when I want to save something fast and accurate.
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

nicolaasjan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:55 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm For a complete webpage, I just right click, hit print, then select PDF. I can also highlight the parts I want to save, then right click and print to PDF. When I'm being more persnickty (not often), I copy and paste elements into a Libre Office document, edit as needed (or desired), then either save or export to PDF.

I've tried saving as pdf in my browser on various occasions as well, but most of the time the formatting is just plain terrible...
And indeed, pasting in LibreOffice works better.
I use this web extension when I want to save something fast and accurate.
The only problem I have with formatting when using my browser (Brave) to "print" to PDF is when I do the entire page; that has a lot of unneeded garbage (ads, side bars, etc. in the PDF. If I just highlight what I want, I get a much cleaner copy, the only problem being there are often large white spaces at the ends of pages because an illustration wouldn't fit on the page and the illustration was shoved to the next page. Copy and pasting to a Writer document often means copying and pasting piecemeal due to formatting conflicts, then reformatting.
Jeannie

nicolaasjan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nicolaasjan »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm The only problem I have with formatting when using my browser (Brave) to "print" to PDF is when I do the entire page; that has a lot of unneeded garbage (ads, side bars, etc. in the PDF
With this extension I mentioned, I don't get the ads, since they are blocked here with uBlock Origin. :D
Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 🌻
theStreak

Re: Video Down Loader Stopped Working [Solved]

Post by theStreak »

Re. saving as PDF, give this a shot: http://printfriendly.com/. It allows you to edit the web page (remove the stuff you don't want included) prior to saving it. ;)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

nicolaasjan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:26 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm The only problem I have with formatting when using my browser (Brave) to "print" to PDF is when I do the entire page; that has a lot of unneeded garbage (ads, side bars, etc. in the PDF
With this extension I mentioned, I don't get the ads, since they are blocked here with uBlock Origin. :D
The only ads that Brave "lets through" are ones permanently embedded as part of the page itself. Those are rare enough to not be enough to worry about.
Jeannie

krauster
Level 4
Level 4

Post by krauster »

phd21 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm Hi "Lady Fitzgerald",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

4K Video Downloader | Free Video Downloader for PС, macOS and Linux | 4K Download
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... downloader
I had the same problem with "Video Downloader" not working this morning to save a youtube video. I don't know at what point it stopped working since it might have been the first time I tried to use it since I upgraded to Mint 20 and installed Video Downloader a month ago. As mentioned by others I figure it has stopped working based on a counter measure youtube would be making to stop people from doing this.

I took your advice and installed 4K Video Downloader from the link you gave and it is working. Thank you.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi krauster,

You are welcome.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Beginner Questions”