[SOLVED] Questions before I upgrade to LM 20 Ulyana

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Questions before I upgrade to LM 20 Ulyana

Post by AndyMH »

1. No idea, but searching on the package may give links to github or sourceforge which will give you an indication of how active the developer is.
2. YES. For starters, if you have a UEFI install you MUST have an EFI partition. Opinion is divided on whether to have a separate /home partition (I have one) and there are valid reasons for having other partitions.
3. NO. If you really want to setup all your programs from scratch when moving from one major release to the next, that's up to you. It is one of the reasons I have a separate /home partition.

Your partition setup shows that you installed LM20 with the 'erase and install' option on a legacy boot drive. You have a useless EFI partition and mint has put the / partition in an extended partition.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=326270&p=1855497&h ... y#p1855497
I save absolutely everything in /home.
Unless you are saving to external media mounted in /media/you or to a NAS you don't have a choice, everything else is owned by root.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm Your partition setup shows that you installed LM20 with the 'erase and install' option on a legacy boot drive. You have a useless EFI partition and mint has put the / partition in an extended partition.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=326270&p=1855497&h ... y#p1855497
Thanks much, Andy.
AndyMH wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm Opinion is divided on whether to have a separate /home partition (I have one) and there are valid reasons for having other partitions.
3. NO. If you really want to setup all your programs from scratch when moving from one major release to the next, that's up to you. It is one of the reasons I have a separate /home partition.
I changed my mind, I want a /home partition for that reason you mentioned. (Made a separate post for that.)
A very average user on two PC's on Linux Mint 21.x Cinnamon. Thank you.
FamCompKid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FamCompKid »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:09 pm legacy boot drive.
PS: Should I change a BIOS setting? IIRC, I've specifically disabled Secure Boot / enabled Legacy upon jumping ship for Linux because that was the advice I got a lot.
A very average user on two PC's on Linux Mint 21.x Cinnamon. Thank you.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

UEFI or legacy install is your choice. Personally I think legacy is simpler when messing around with different OSes on different drives (simple with legacy, slightly more complicated with UEFI). Limitations of legacy (or an MBR partition table):
  • A max of four primary partitions, but you can get round this with an extended partition and put logical partitions in it. UEFI (or GPT partition table - all primary partitions and you can have 128 of them).
  • Max drive/partition size = 2TB. Anything larger than this you must use GPT = UEFI boot.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”