Installing Linux on a work comp....Do you tell your boss?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Would you install linux on a work pc or laptop and not tell your boss?

Yes
13%
No
78%
Maybe
7%
Not Sure
2%

Total votes: 45

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing Linux on a work comp....Do you tell your boss?

Post by Portreve »

I think maybe you should go ahead and nuke-n-pave all the computers at work which are infected with Windows, and install LM on them. And perhaps Debian on servers.

Of course, make sure to back up all the company's data first.

If you're questioned/threatened/challenged at work over this, tell them you were helping to protect company assets from future compromise, as well as enhance productivity.

If they seem to balk at that explanation, tell them that you succumbed to the influence and mind control of an evil Time Lord, and if they don't go along with his evil wishes, you'll be forced to put Windows 10 on all their systems.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

...and most importantly, make sure you maintain "social distancing" on the unemployment line.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Personally I would not do that. If the pc is not yours personally, installing another operating system may cost you your job and income. Avoid it unless you physically own the device in question.
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
Rouge11

Post by Rouge11 »

Update - Jan 2021
I did not get fired.
I showed them and they want me to convert them all over to linux or at least test on a few other pc's first.

They liked how it looks, how secure it is, how easy it is to install programs, its compatible with the things we do, things are free and open source, helps older computers run quicker, no windows updates and down time when ppl happen to update on company time, and that its more reliable.

For some reason he initially thought google, firefox, gmail and dropbox, word/excel didn't work on linux. He likes it now.

Will the office convert over? IDK.
If I do this, our company tech support is not very familiar with linux, just a little with Ubuntu.
Or I will become their linux tech support which isn't my main job.

Do I think they are capable of making the switch? I think I'll get push back because they are use to doing things the way they have been and might question why switch when what they use works? The cant teach an old dog new trick dilemma. No one else really has an Open Mind for Linux.

I will talk with my boss again next week and see if he still wants me to start converting someone over. I should have my desktop setup before then and show them as a test.

Guess I work for a great company for not caring and now wanting to pursue it.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

...and then everybody clapped.
chalarm

Post by chalarm »

i voted yes, but since i'm my own boss :-) i don't have to tell myself anything.

But in the real world no would apply for those whom are employed :roll:.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

From your signature, I re-quote here,
The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat. ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau
That "boat" would'nt be either the Titanic, Lusitania, or the Andria Doria by chance, would it???...lol...DAMIEN
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 am From your signature, I re-quote here,
The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before, the old phrase has a literal meaning: we are all in the same boat. ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau
That "boat" would'nt be either the Titanic, Lusitania, or the Andria Doria by chance, would it???...lol...DAMIEN
The Calypso actually, though I believe it was destroyed several years ago.
Cliff Coggin

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”