What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by Mick-Cork »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 am Green is so bad that it has been historically associated with envy...
Envy, "the bond between the hopeful and the damned"!..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeWngFZaa8

:wink:
BillionDollars
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BillionDollars »

Mint 20 is not user friendly.

If it launches maybe.
With Warpinator, Linux Mint 20 brings back easy file sharing across the local network.
Seeking help for mint 20 to network to your old WIN XP server is something that needs some thinking.

And I second that what was said about in the previous post before me. Especially the manuals and tutorials that newbies have to read and bring only frustration and headaches while you need to focus on work you need to study worthless info that brings you nowhere to start your new experience in Linux world.

Blessings
BillionDollars
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Maybe 'while you need to focus on your work' is not the best of times to learn a new operating system?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BillionDollars
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BillionDollars »

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 am Maybe 'while you need to focus on your work' is not the best of times to learn a new operating system?
Hi Moem.

There is a reason why I took Mint 20. 19.3 don't have PHP 7.3 or 7.4 and the software CMS I use don't think I'm smart to install it on 19.3, it just tells me it requires PHP 7.3 + so to downgrade back to 19.3 that have lots of issues with the sound that I can't get fixed since April 2020 after 19.2 crashed on me in the middle of a website that I created and lost everything and hade to do it all over again, was no fun at all.

Blessings
BillionDollars
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 am Maybe 'while you need to focus on your work' is not the best of times to learn a new operating system?
Sometimes, people don't have the option to choose when to learn a new operating system or devote a lot of time learning before becoming functional. That brings us back to what you said earlier (and a few of us agreed with) about the lack of good documentation. I understand the concept that many, if not most, Linux users have of first learning the theory behind how Linux operates and, undoubtedly it works for them but, for the majority of computer desktop users, that is not the best way to learn anything. Imagine how difficult it would be to teach a child to speak if you crowded their minds with all the rules of their language from the word go instead of just starting by teaching the child a few basic words and building from there. The theory can come later after the child has a functional vocabulary base. Ironically, young children are little knowledge sponges who can absorb knowledge faster than adults.

Many, if not most, people coming to Linux have their lives filled with other things (working for a living, raising a family, elder care, etc.) and simply can't take the time to needed to learn theory before using Linux. Most just need an operating system that will work "out of the box" without having to devote a lot of time trying to learn how Linux works "under the hood". Nor should they. Imagine how many people wouldn't ever to learn how to drive if it was necessary for them to know how "infernal" combustion engines and their complex systems, transmissions, etc. worked? How many people would have and watch televisions if they had to fully understood the circuitry inside and how the signal is broadcast and received before they could turn it on?

Too often, I see when someone complains about how hard Linux is to learn how to use, the response is they need to go back to Windows or Mac OS, never mind that they came to Linux in the first place because Windows and Mac OS have become very undesirable due to increasing bugginess, decreasing security, etc. Not everyone is a geek. Most people use a computer because they need certain tasks accomplished.

Good documentation geared to newcomers, most of whom are not "geeks", would really help to make Linux more popular. Software developers would be more likely to port their software to Linux if there was a large enough user base to make it profitable. Sure, FOSS (Free Open Source Software) is wonderful and I use it whenever practical but many people have needs that goes beyond what developers are willing to develop for free; they have to make a living just like most of the rest of us. I have no problem paying for software when there is no free equivalent and have done so many times (I drew the line at the increasing trend of "renting" software, though).

Sadly, most "geeks" are not good at writing documentation. Too often, they forget what it was like to be a newbie. They also have a tendency to assume that some facts are so basic, everyone will know them and then leave them out in their directions, most likely unconsciously. This especially hits home for me because of my learning disabilities. I have an above average IQ and I can learn things but I have to do it in small bites, otherwise my brain gets overwhelmed and shuts down (hence my need for step by step directions). It's especially frustrating trying to find the complete, step by step directions for pretty much anything (this is true for just about everything, not just computers or Linux). Too often, there is a small but vital detail that gets left out. Or they tell you to do something in a step but don't tell you how to do that something.

Fortunately for me, I'm part Irish, part German, and total b***h so I have the tenacity to stick with things, no matter how difficult while still knowing my limitations and how to deal with them. Otherwise, I would have caved a long time ago and gone back to shudder choke Windows.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have an above average IQ and I can learn things but I have to do it in small bites, otherwise my brain gets overwhelmed and shuts down (hence my need for step by step directions)
Hi Jeannie,

This is precisely the reason why i can be sitting in my "Lazy Boy" watching TV, I then get up, go to the fridge, open the door, and promptly forget what it was i wanted...All done in ten seconds of time...I blame it on old age though...lol...DAMIEN
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:13 pm This is precisely the reason why i can be sitting in my "Lazy Boy" watching TV, I then get up, go to the fridge, open the door, and promptly forget what it was i wanted...All done in ten seconds of time...I blame it on old age though...lol...DAMIEN
I'm 33 and do that very thing, sometimes. :lol: It's especially problematic because I do programming on a near-daily basis and make a lot of programming videos for YouTube, so if I just suddenly forget what I'm doing, I lose my rhythm and end up back at square one. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Termy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:23 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:13 pm This is precisely the reason why i can be sitting in my "Lazy Boy" watching TV, I then get up, go to the fridge, open the door, and promptly forget what it was i wanted...All done in ten seconds of time...I blame it on old age though...lol...DAMIEN
I'm 33 and do that very thing, sometimes. :lol: It's especially problematic because I do programming on a near-daily basis and make a lot of programming videos for YouTube, so if I just suddenly forget what I'm doing, I lose my rhythm and end up back at square one. :roll:
Welcome to the club. It's called destinesia (disclaimer: not a clinical name). When I go from one room to another to do something, I often have to repeatedly chant out loud what it is I have to do at my destination because, otherwise, my mind will have wandered elsewhere by the time I get there (ADHD is so much fun, lied Jeannie).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:29 pm Welcome to the club. It's called destinesia (disclaimer: not a clinical name). When I go from one room to another to do something, I often have to repeatedly chant out loud what it is I have to do at my destination because, otherwise, my mind will have wandered elsewhere by the time I get there (ADHD is so much fun, lied Jeannie).
Lol I've done that! And I like the name... destination amnesia... noice. :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Sometimes, people don't have the option to choose when to learn a new operating system or devote a lot of time learning before becoming functional.
True. But then it's hardly surprising that this can lead to frustration and a suboptimal experience.

Personally I did not study Linux, or specifically Linux Mint, at all before diving in. But I did have the luxury of choosing the moment when I got started.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:45 pm
Termy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:04 am I don't like green, and now I hate it even more, thanks to your post! To be fair though, not everything green is gross. The grass is green and I'd argue that it's beautiful, especially when it's newly-grown.
I agree, Termy. In the I Hate Green post, I gave an exemption to grass. :D
For someone that hates green you sure 'love' to have it on your posts (your avatar and signature!). I just wanted to post to voice the exact opposite of your sentiment.

I love green, all things green. I even have green jeans and live as 'green' a life as i can. Green is the colour of life and health and represents mother-earth, without whom none of us would exist to even be able to enjoy this most fantastic version of Linux. Green is the best of everything in our living world, and i'm super happy and enthused it is a core design feature of Linux Mint, it is much more than just a colour.

As for things i don't like about Mint, as i use it more or less as a straight windows replacement (so GUI use over terminal etc), when it goes wrong you are often forced to use the terminal and depending on where you are getting your terminal use info from, that can be frustrating as things don't always work. So for me it is less a Mint issue and more a general Linux issue, where terminal use is still important in maintaining your distro, but all that (terminal use terms etc) can be very hit and miss in relation to solving your specific issue.

Where is my 'Fix all issues' button that sends the instruction to the OS to repair stuff (the networking, new hardware installed issues etc)?

I mean that half in jest, but Windows does have some features like that to make managing the OS easy and fast without needing to drag out a technical manual or reference.

So i'd love some nice windows like GUI 'Fix issue' buttons :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The linux equivalent of a Windows Fix Issue button would produce a concealed weapon and shoot the person sat in front of the computer :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 am It's your choice to appreciate green but, come on, you have to admit that it is not an attractive color in many ways.
No. No i don't. Green is the perfect colour, i thought i'd made that clear? Everything is better green. The problem is that 'we' (not me) have become so disconnected from our natural world we just can't see the wood for the trees anymore, heck many of us don't even see a single tree being surrounded by technology and concrete all day long.

This is not natural, and it has been scientifically proven to drive unhappiness and depression. We actually need 'green' in our lives to thrive, in part because that is the largest part of our journey in evolution so is an actual intrinsic part of who we are and what we are used to. You can fight the green if you really want to, but it is far, far better to understand the truth of our actual reality and embrace where we come from and what we are (living beings evolved on a green planet). :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ZakGordon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:41 am No. No i don't. Green is the perfect colour, i thought i'd made that clear? Everything is better green. The problem is that 'we' (not me) have become so disconnected from our natural world we just can't see the wood for the trees anymore, heck many of us don't even see a single tree being surrounded by technology and concrete all day long.
I'm not convinced any of that is true. I don't live in a city; I'm near plenty of trees and fields. In-fact, I've done plenty of exploring over the years in the places I've lived. None-the-less, since I was a kid, I've not liked the color green, unless it's on something natural, like leaves and grass.

I think you've gotten a bit carried away with the green. :P The biggest tell here, is that you said "green is the perfect color". :lol:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

What about chromatically challenged folk? Just tell them it's all red and they will love it ;)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 am <snip>The worst type of food, vegetables, are likely green and many, many times taste really bad and even look ugly. Have you ever taken a good look at spinach? How could it be any uglier?

Let's change the color of Linux Mint to a pretty color, like blue. Mint KDE blue but without the KDE.

Really?

How have you managed to survive as long as you have (I don't need to know how long that is) if that is what you think about vegetables!!

You sound a bit like a young spoiled child who won't eat his vegetables, so I do hope, for the sake of your own health, that this comment was said "tongue in cheek".

And as for that image of blue mint; it looks absolutely dreadful.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Maybe somebody should just set up a poll, then be done with this, because I feel like this bickering isn't really going to make the developers take notice.
ajgreeny wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:22 pm And as for that image of blue mint; it looks absolutely dreadful.
I think it looks calming and peaceful. I like it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Termy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm I feel like this bickering isn't really going to make the developers take notice.
Spot on with that, if they ever read this thread they will tune all this garbage about colours out. There are plenty of Mint-X and Mint-Y theme colours to choose from so nobody is forced to suffer a particular colour they hate.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

antikythera wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm There are plenty of Mint-X and Mint-Y theme colours to choose from so nobody is forced to suffer a particular colour they hate.
My saying that, however, doesn't mean I think a new color should not be discussed, just that I think the way this thread has gone or is headed, is probably not the best approach. I think a poll would be a nice and simple approach for us to tell the team, in bulk, what we do or don't like.

I agree, of course, that it's easy to change colors and isn't a problem. However, there is ample competition out there, and I think there's no harm in tweaking Linux Mint's image in hopes of attracting more users.

:idea: Unfortunately, we're in the Linux Mint support forums, so we'll get a skewed result, in favor of course to how it is now, but it might at least give them a digestible result to go on, other than personal attacks between different users because of a color they do or don't like.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

As for Linux Mint, the developers are getting almost everything right. Please! The coloring in every Mint can easily be changed from green to blue, red or gray or whatever - in the system settings.
Just look at the system settings Themes ...
What I like less, specifically for Mint, is a visible coarsening of MATE - for my taste there is a lack of attention to detail, in contrast to Cinnamon.
I can't judge Xfce.

What I generally miss in all GNU/Linux systems:
  • 1. a simple image processing application à la Irfanview. More precisely, a program that would combine Irfanview, Faststone and ShiftN from the Windows side, as well as Macs Preview, LibreOffice's Draw and - from Mint's point of view, Pix - in a single, great and simple to use image processing program ...
  • 2. a Layout program à la PageMaker from 1996. Scribus is still lame and cumbersome - and in my opinion still very user-unfriendly. And yes - LibreOffice Writer just isn't a layout application ...
  • 3. a sensible, customizable font management. Fonts grouped in families. MacOS 7, 8, 9 in combination with Adobe ATM showed more than twenty years ago that something like this is possible. It now seems that this cannot be implemented in Linux, Windows or the more recent Mac systems. Nice progress!
    In addition, under Linux (also under Linux Mint) it would be necessary to clarify what should happen to PostScript Type 1 fonts in the future. Just turning it off and showing weird rectangles is a bit shabby.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”