What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What Don't You Like about Linux Mint?

Post by antikythera »

Termy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:41 pm
antikythera wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:33 pm There are plenty of Mint-X and Mint-Y theme colours to choose from so nobody is forced to suffer a particular colour they hate.
My saying that, however, doesn't mean I think a new color should not be discussed, just that I think the way this thread has gone or is headed, is probably not the best approach. I think a poll would be a nice and simple approach for us to tell the team, in bulk, what we do or don't like.

I agree, of course, that it's easy to change colors and isn't a problem. However, there is ample competition out there, and I think there's no harm in tweaking Linux Mint's image in hopes of attracting more users.

:idea: Unfortunately, we're in the Linux Mint support forums, so we'll get a skewed result, in favor of course to how it is now, but it might at least give them a digestible result to go on, other than personal attacks between different users because of a color they do or don't like.
The developers did listen about colour options. I think that's also partly why they simplified the logo so it could be made a monochrome outline (the current Menu icon default which of course looks better with different colour options than a green leaf shaped icon ever could), monochrome filled or full colour green filled. The choices are quite extensive nowadays which is a step very much in the right direction and not many other distributions offer this level of customisation for their own themes.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:59 am
ZakGordon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:13 am For someone that hates green you sure 'love' to have it on your posts (your avatar and signature!). I just wanted to post to voice the exact opposite of your sentiment.

I love green, all things green. I even have green jeans and live as 'green' a life as i can. Green is the colour of life and health and represents mother-earth, without whom none of us would exist to even be able to enjoy this most fantastic version of Linux. Green is the best of everything in our living world, and i'm super happy and enthused it is a core design feature of Linux Mint, it is much more than just a colour.
It's your choice to appreciate green but, come on, you have to admit that it is not an attractive color in many ways. Green hair is ugly. Green shoes are ugly. Green jeans are really ugly. Gangrene, green being one of the many colors in the stages of rot, is ugly.

People's skin didn't evolve to be green because, well, green is just ugly. The worst type of food, vegetables, are likely green and many, many times taste really bad and even look ugly. Have you ever taken a good look at spinach? How could it be any uglier?

Boogers are green and they are both slimy and ugly. The ugliest part of a computer, the motherboard, is mostly always green. Have you ever seen a green dishwasher, a green cellphone, or a green dog? No, you probably haven't, because they are all ugly.

People aren't drawn to ugly; ugliness is phased out and driven away because it is not pleasing. Let's change the color of Linux Mint to a pretty color, like blue. Mint KDE blue but without the KDE.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm Clem produced a confession letter in which I think he almost just quit the whole project and said to hell with it all. It seemed like he was almost done, to be honest.
That doesn't really surprise me either but I'm very glad he didn't quit.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:34 pm And that was all over just trying to decide on how or if to change the logo. Maybe we really should just drop the color talk; it may be too much for many to digest and may have more serious ramifications than we could ever imagine.
Wow. Fair enough. :o I certainly don't blame them, but that said, Linux Mint is very well known, is a great project, has led to great things, and is used by a great many, so I hope they don't feel like it's all just a waste of time. It sounds like Clem and some other might need a break. :?
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm...
Thank you!
Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

Kermit knew best when he said "Its keen to be green"
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

well - - we've basically decided, that the LinuxMint is best in Green.
:)

most other Linux.Forums have also settled on some particular colour scheme, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

When it all happened, it was sort of a surprise to many regular users. Who would have thought with people as talented and gifted as the ones who create and maintain Mint that deliberations on how to proceed with a website redesign and a logo update could lead to a state of seeming collapse?
You are overstating the importance of that one particular thing. A lot of things happened internally that dev cycle and a couple long time devs had things going on in their personal lives that kept them away. These sorts of things probably happen in dev groups from time to time. It probably just doesn't get shared all that often.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Termy wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 pm Maybe somebody should just set up a poll, then be done with this, because I feel like this bickering isn't really going to make the developers take notice.
Knock yourselves out ;)

It's been discussed many times before, and Clem has answered in detail. It's called Linux 'Mint' for a reason, and the default theme is green for a reason. I suggest you live with it or change it to what you probably already use as colour preferences.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:10 pm Who would have thought with people as talented and gifted as the ones who create and maintain Mint that deliberations on how to proceed with a website redesign and a logo update could lead to a state of seeming collapse?
This regular user didn't read it as dramatic as all that. I read it as 'We're not having a good time right now, and that's a reason to think about what we're doing here, why we're doing it and how we're doing it'. It may not be normal or expected to share those thoughts, but it sure as hell is normal to be having them now and then during an ongoing project. I admire Clem for being so open about it.

On preview, JosephM seems to confirm my reading.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Well it IS so 'first world' problems. "I don't like the default mint green theme", or "the website looks old fashioned" (but at least it functions pretty well heh?). I totally get the frustration the devs would naturally have when people focus on such trite issues with a project they get to use for free. It must be dispiriting. Like i'm sure the choice of Linux Mint name and colour was not just a 5 min exercise on a back of a beer mat. It has been designed this way for a specific reason, and frankly as a free OS you have very little right to question the creators choices here, and then demand change.

If you don't like it, change it. Mint is pretty customizable, use those inbuilt (for free to you) tools to change it. Or just use another distro that does not damage your first-world entitled sensibilities? Most Linux OS is free, so find a none green one if it offends you that much? But don't come here and disrespect the long work and effort of the developers of one of the best Linux Distro's around for your puerile reasons perhaps?

Same goes for the website. It is a growing rare thing in today's 'popular' website re-design rush (just because we all want to look like the god awful Windows 8/10 OS GUI design!) to actually have a website that is functional to use and traditional enough that all people of all ages can use it for what a website should be about, disseminating information.

I just have no time for this type of whingeing or those pushing them, especially as if you really hate green you can change the theme on your end, so just do that. This is less an issue with the OS and more an issue with the user imho. I need not add more.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

CtrlAltDel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:48 am Seriously, man, I don't care one way or the other about what color Linux Mint chooses to use. Sure, I would like the logo and website not to be green but it isn't something I think about a whole lot.
Umm .. WE as in the Forum Users
:mrgreen:

not by anyone else.
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I really wish that we could have a Mint version (Flagship) like Mint 18.3 supported for more years. Mint 18.3 is the best OS I've ever used and runs PERFECT on my older computers. I'm in the middle of updating my 6 years old HP Eng workstation with Mint 19.3 and I can't say a lot about it. Can't get FireJail to work, Can update the Nivida card without crashing my video. Thank God for Timeshift and the command line. I would imagine my older PC doesn't like the 5.4.0-56-generic x86_64 kernel :(

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: pepi-HP-Z600-Workstation Kernel: 5.4.0-56-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Z600 Workstation v: N/A 
  serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 0AE8h v: C serial: <root required> 
  BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 786G4 v03.21 date: 08/24/2011 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Xeon E5540 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
  Speed: 1597 MHz min/max: 1596/2528 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1629 2: 1615 3: 1596 
  4: 1596 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA G94GL [Quadro FX 1800] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: NV94 v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-56-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5764M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe 
  driver: tg3 
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 78:e7:d1:c5:e3:4f 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 2.29 TiB used: 321.60 GiB (13.7%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST500DM002-1BD142 size: 465.76 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3500418AS size: 465.76 GiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 840 PRO Series size: 238.47 GiB 
  ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Samsung model: SSD 850 PRO 256GB size: 238.47 GiB 
  ID-5: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 QVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB 
RAID:
  Hardware-1: Intel SATA Controller [RAID mode] driver: ahci 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 200.86 GiB used: 39.88 GiB (19.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sde3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 53 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 230 Uptime: 15h 54m Memory: 5.78 GiB used: 1.52 GiB (26.3%) Shell: bash 
  inxi: 3.0.32 
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Hey, you all. Can we please just agreed to disagree and drop all this repeated arguing about the color green?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 am Hey, you all. Can we please just agreed to disagree and drop all this repeated arguing about the color green?
I'd like that. I'd like to hear what other things people might not like about Linux Mint, if there are any. I think some of us just got a bit carried away with the color. :lol:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I don't like Mint's crippled synaptic, where you can't run updates.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ThrashZone2

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Hi,
Version 20 but not exclusive things haven't changed much in 4-5 years sadly mate or cinnamon

Too much password needed for basic stuff like updating
Software manager still can't install wine properly or really at all launch never worked.

Hardware manager only comes up with gpu drivers lol I know I have lots of other hardware
No mouse scroll wheel settings at all this is just sad.
Network manager can't connect on startup with wired Ethernet on newer boards in my case z490 apex while linix solus can and does.

No real idea how to get off balanced power plan which is pretty lame
I finally found an app to easily switch to performance mode with indicator-cpufreq and another basic monitoring app psensor for basic core temperature readings still way too limited not everyone is on a silly laptop.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ThrashZone2 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am Too much password needed for basic stuff like updating
Thanks for your feedback.

Like a lot of things posted in this thread, however, this isn't inherently a Linux Mint thing, but a Linux thing, or a thing of traditional distributions, more specifically. I think it would be very bad for Linux Mint if it came out of the box with lesser security than its competition.

Unfortunately, over the years, Windows made many users complacent with lackluster security, resulting in the confusion a user experiences when trying out Linux. I went through the same thing some years back; we probably all did. :roll:
ThrashZone2

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Termy wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:51 am
ThrashZone2 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:38 am Too much password needed for basic stuff like updating
Thanks for your feedback.

Like a lot of things posted in this thread, however, this isn't inherently a Linux Mint thing, but a Linux thing, or a thing of traditional distributions, more specifically. I think it would be very bad for Linux Mint if it came out of the box with lesser security than its competition.

Unfortunately, over the years, Windows made many users complacent with lackluster security, resulting in the confusion a user experiences when trying out Linux. I went through the same thing some years back; we probably all did. :roll:
Hi,
lol yeah I said that it wasn't exclusive but you removed that part and oddly acted as I didn't :lol:
This is another failure support wise people commenting on what they want too and removing the rest of the context they don't want to address.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ThrashZone2 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:00 pm Hi,
lol yeah I said that it wasn't exclusive but you removed that part and oddly acted as I didn't :lol:
This is another failure support wise people commenting on what they want too and removing the rest of the context they don't want to address.
You did? My bad. I removed it because I was concerned it would be inflammatory. :lol:

EDIT: Nevermind, thought you meant I removed my post, but that was something else I was thinking of. If you're referring to the part you said which I removed, that's just a conkadink. I can't stand filling up threads with quotes taking up most of the space. :roll:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”