Scam alert

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
So Green I am Minty
Level 1
Level 1

Scam alert

Post by So Green I am Minty »

Over on MeWe, I received an announcement for an amazing new distro called iLinux. It's so amazing that the company and paid shills have been pasting the same ad copy on every forum they can find. There are no independent reviews, videos, or the like, and nothing on Distrowatch. It looks like an OS marketed at children--very bright, colorful, and cartoonish. They seem to have appeared out of nowhere in early October. I don't know if it's malware or what, but the site is very slick.

https://ilinuxos.com/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Scam alert

Post by AndyMH »

A 13.8GB download, and a zip file? For comparison LM20 is 1.8GB.

I don't think so.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Agree with Andy about its very large download size and as zip, but it is NOT A SCAM at all.

It is an actual Linux OS that is Debian based...Its style resembles earlier Macs to quite a degree...It has a .deb, Flatpak and Snap, and App-image installers built into its repositories.

It is a full fledged OS.

Time will tell if it catches on or not...Looks as a simple, easy to use, OS that might appeal to at least newcomers to Linux from Windows or Macs...Im not decided if experienced Linux folks would adopt it though as it does appear a little cartoonish, at least to me, and serious, seasoned, Linux folks tend to like a more "no nonsense" style.

If one was to play around with it, at least in USB stick form, you will need at least a 64 gig stick considering its download by itself is a rather hefty 13.8 gig zip file.

Just my personal observations thus far...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I see what you guys mean about it being very cartoonish. Yikes!

I really hope this doesn't cause problems for the GNU+Linux community down the road somehow.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

So Green I am Minty wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:47 pm It's so amazing that the company and paid shills have been pasting the same ad copy on every forum they can find.
Thanks for the heads up. :wink:
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Cartoonish does not come close to describing the iLinux OS forums. Please tell me this is not what people want when they ask for a "prettier" Linux Mint Forums.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
tuxoneseven

Post by tuxoneseven »

Seems as hobby project of a Greek guy. One guy maintaining the whole distro.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Life is too short to download the best part of 14GB to find out, looks like you did? Having got the zip file how does it install?

Looks awful.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

WOW! come loaded with 500 preinstalled apps and will run on old as well as new computers.
iLinux with 500 Applications Preinstalled, runs even on an OLD 64Bit Pentium/Atom/AMD Computer with 1.5GB Ram & 32GB Hard Disk!
And it can run Windows and Mac software.

Seems a bit of overkill in terms of bloat but it is an interesting concept as a Windows replacement OOB with everything a user could possibly want or need type approach.
Not my cup of tea but hey . . . . that is what makes linux so great.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:40 am Life is too short to download the best part of 14GB to find out, looks like you did? Having got the zip file how does it install?

Looks awful.
I found somewhere it's a .img instead of an ISO. So you're just cloning what's there onto your system. The dev probably doesn't know how to create an ISO. :roll:

I was trying to find the sources, which don't seem to exist online, when I found that out. I'm also not downloading 14GB just to have a peek at the sources.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I found somewhere it's a .img instead of an ISO. So you're just cloning what's there onto your system. The dev probably doesn't know how to create an ISO. :roll:
That would explain why it needs 13.8 gigs of space...lol...Im still not of any mind to find out for myself though...DAMIEN
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Well, I was willing to give it a go as it looked very different from anything else I had seen.
But, only in VirtualBox & that proved impossible without more effort than I am willing to extend..
The download expands to 30.8 GB on unpacking & is, as MrEen has already said, an img file, rather than an iso.
That rather put the brakes on using VitualBox.
iLinx itself has installation instruction (https://ilinuxos.com/install-by-restori ... e-img.html) that involve downloading & utilising Balena Etcher. Unfortunately that means installing on blank media of a suitable size which I have no desire to do..

I guess I could convert the img into an iso myself, but my initial curiosity has waned & I will find other methods of minor amusement.. :D
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

RIH wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:51 pm but my initial curiosity has waned & I will find other methods of minor amusement.. :D
I'm right there with ya, pal! :lol:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

My response to iLinux is the same as my response to iAnything: iCan't. iWon't.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MoreLinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MoreLinux »

Mandrake Linux has been revived again??
[Image

With a bit bloat from Xandros linux on the first Eee-pc's

I hope it's an rolling release then, because an .img is a backup of a partition, so an upgrade would wipe your current partition an install the clean new one. This means all you data lost.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

The screen shots were enough for me.

But still an interesting concept. I support 6 PCs and laptops with linux for folks who otherwise would be running Windows. I installed/support linux because they won't/can't with one exception. I can see people like I support being attracted to this approach if they don't have someone to install linux for them so they they can just get about the business of "point and click." I just cannot believe it will run effectively on something with an Atom CPU and <2Gib RAM.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I just cannot believe it will run effectively on something with an Atom CPU and <2Gib RAM.
Why not?

Ive got an almost 13 year old EEE PC with an Atom processor and 1 gig of ram that is running Peppermint 9...boots in 45 seconds and can run movies, music videos that i have installed on the HDD as well as able to stream videos with no stutters etc...Your not going to multi-task but its fun to keep experimenting with and pushing its limits...lol...DAMIEN
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:57 am
I just cannot believe it will run effectively on something with an Atom CPU and <2Gib RAM.
Why not?

Ive got an almost 13 year old EEE PC with an Atom processor and 1 gig of ram that is running Peppermint 9...boots in 45 seconds and can run movies, music videos that i have installed on the HDD as well as able to stream videos with no stutters etc...Your not going to multi-task but its fun to keep experimenting with and pushing its limits...lol...DAMIEN
Right - you are running Peppermint probably with something like Xfce because Mint would be a little to "heavy." And you know enough not to try and multi-task and have a bunch of Windows open at the same time. I will bet you did not loaded it down with 500 apps with all the accompanying overhead, libraries and dependencies either. I also bet it's not your daily driver.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So Green I am Minty wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:47 pm I don't know if it's malware or what
So why post a 'scam alert'? That seems like jumping the gun.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Right - you are running Peppermint probably with something like Xfce because Mint would be a little to "heavy." And you know enough not to try and multi-task and have a bunch of Windows open at the same time. I will bet you did not loaded it down with 500 apps with all the accompanying overhead, libraries and dependencies either. I also bet it's not your daily driver.
Right on pretty much all counts here...lol...The desktop is actually a "meld" of xfce/lxde...zero apps...definitely not a daily driver but could be if my main system goes into total meltdown...Still running the original battery which still accepts full charge as well...lol...I also tweaked the hell out of it as well...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”