Really strange errors on a laptop

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Really strange errors on a laptop

Post by Husse »

I have "inherited" my wifes old laptop and installed Cassandra on it.
When I start Update manager I get an error and I can read as a tool tip the following:
An error occured, please run Package Manager from the right click menu or apt-get on a terminal to see what is wrong. The error message was: 'Error opening the cache:(
E: Read error - read (5 input/output error)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.) '

From a terminal:
bettan@bettan-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get check
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Read error - read (5 Input/output error)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
The same for apt-get autoclean and autoremove while just clean does not give any message

And this is also odd:
bettan@bettan-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Password:
Bus error (core dumped)

I'll make a new install, beta 014 worked ok so this is something I've bumped into :)
Just posting to see if someone knows anything about this, another time it may be a crisis with such an error.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The cd is the same I used to install this computer - always check md5 and burn at 2x :)
USB mouse else nothing...
The logs were either to long to look through or did not contain anything of value - a situation that's not too unusual
It is a fairly old laptop that fell on the floor from the bed once when my wife fell asleep and forgot about it - she has another "bedmate" now - a Toshiba that's pretty good.
So I've had to solder the power cord and only one USB connector works....
But I want it so I can sit outdoors and read the forum :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

who gets but 2 hours sleep every 36 to 48 hours
uurrkk!
Even worse than when I worked the most :)
Why, if I may ask?

As for turning off anything in BIOS in a Compaq :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Other topics”