Totem Music Player

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jawkyn

Totem Music Player

Post by jawkyn »

Hello. Although I am not a Linux newbie but that doesn't mean that I know what I'm doing a lot of the time. I have used several versions of Ubuntu in the past but I just cannot settle down with that distro. I have used and really like PCLinuxOS Gnome but I couldn't get it to install on this desktop -- a Dell Pentium 4 that used to have Windows XP on it. So I installed Mint Gloria and I really like it. It seems to be stable and everything works, even YouTube videos and Pidgin. Music CDs play on Rhythmbox and VLC. However, I'm having a problem with the Totem Music Player.

After downloading an email with a video attachment from yahoo mail, I tried to play it with the default player, which is Movie Player. but as soon as I clicked on the download, MP vanished from the desktop. So I went to the package manager and downloaded Ubuntu-restricted extras and tried again. Same thing happened. So after using Search, I found what I hoped was a solution. I opened a terminal and typed sudo apt-get install totem-gstreamer. After I typed 'y', it downloaded and installed some more programs.

This time, after opening Movie Player, clicking on Movie and highlighting the video I wanted, the movie played -- just for a second and then it vanished. After clicking on the highlighted movie again, I get a small 'An error occurred - internal data stream error' box.

I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions? I've tried to follow the forum rules on this but sometimes you just don't know what to look for. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igorzwx

Re: Totem Music Player

Post by igorzwx »

Open Terminal.
Type:

totem

this will start Totem from Terminal.

Play your movie.
When you get error message on Terminal, copy and paste it to Google search.
jawkyn

Post by jawkyn »

I may have found my problem but I need some info from more experienced users. I am a recent convert from Windows (I lost Windows XP on my Dell several weeks ago and decided not to bother with getting it reinstalled. So far, I have found that there IS life afters Windows.). The videos I have been trying to view are WMV (Windows Media Videos). Is there an open source WMV plug-in for GStream available?

I ran across this website: http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/win ... dia-video/

But I don't want to buy something like this if there is anything in the open-source world that will get the job done. Thanks for your help.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QOUTE: "I need some info from more experienced users"

The experts are on Ubuntu Multimedia Production Forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=335

Be polite and exact, and you will surely get an exact answer.

Return to “Sound”