Chase Bank Login Using Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Chase Bank Login Using Linux

Post by Spearmint2 »

Unfortunately, Chase Bank has decided to reject Linux systems, even using an accepted version of Firefox and/or Chromium (Chrome). I first ran into this using a current Firefox ESR which began failing to signin like it did before. For a few months after that I was able to use Chromium browser under linux to sign in to the bank site. This week that also stopped allowing signin. Nothing had changed in either browser with username nor password, it would just shunt me back to the main page with the taunting blue "sign in" button, but never would open the account. I did all their resets, removed all the saved logins, cleared cache, cleared chase specific cookies, all to no avail on either browser. Chase Bank just doesn't want Linux users anymore accessing their site.

https://www.chase.com/digital/resources ... quirements

Scroll to see required OS and browsers levels.

I have found a means to bypass this discrimination against Linux at Chase Bank. All that's required is an extension, a User Agent Switcher, and set it to Windows 10 using Edge, which is reported as the system you are using to Chase Bank. It will all work then at Chase as needed. This is the Switcher I used on Firefox 84 ESR version to accomplish this. ESR versions are unbranded, stand alone browser, so can have on same OS that already has an system installed version. I hope the switcher extension is secure, at least it's "recommended".

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ent=search

So, if someone here has similar problem accessing Chase Bank account, you know what can work for you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Chase Bank Login Using Linux

Post by MrEen »

Hi Spearmint2,

I was getting all ready to say try using a User Agent Switcher before I finished reading the whole post. I'm glad you found that works.

If my bank had done the same thing, I'd be tracking down their IT people and telling them to fix this. Their website is almost certainly sitting on an Linux server, so their staff should have some familiarity with it.

And if such as easy thing as a browser extension is defeating their checks, then their checks aren't very robust, so why are they excluding Linux in the first place? Seems like security theater to me.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I did contact them. Their advice was empty cache, remove current logins for Chase, all of which I did. The next was "use a windows machine with Edge". Uh, NO! I also tried all their password change offers on webpages, but it never changed it, just go back to the default sign-in page. I had my wife check the site using her work computer, not Saving the info, and it signed in OK, so I knew it had to be something with the Linux 18.3 I was running or both Chromium & Firefox browsers. So, it's not exactly Linux that fails, but deliberate blocking by Chase of reporting linux OS in the http/s referrer line to the bank. I've had NO problem with any other site's blocking linux referrer line in a browser, not even my local bank account. This has happened ONLY on a Chase account, nor does it happen with Bank America. ONLY Chase.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

this does happen .. some organizations will only allow an windows / imac experience.
:o
sometimes, you can bypass the issue, as in this case, or use some other alternative,
to the Big Two Solutions .. it also dosn't make sense, as most companies are using Linux on their servers.

my Bank works just fine with an Linux System, as does all of the Utility Companies.
:)

but I've also assisted an chap, who was trying to access some Mining Data,
from the Dept of Mines & that would only work with Windows & Internet Explorer :!:
their IT advice, was you needed that, to sign-up for an account, but after that experience,
you could then use an alternative web browser . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Spearmint2 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:53 pmONLY Chase.
Come to think of it, my wife has had some issues with them in the past, and she uses Windows. And I believe the UA switcher was the fix for her as well. Back then I think she spoofed IE as the workaround.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I don't use Chase Bank but a friend I provide support for does. Was this a recent announcement or something that manifested itself all of a sudden. So far she hasn't complained about any inability to login.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

chiefjim wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 pm I don't use Chase Bank but a friend I provide support for does. Was this a recent announcement or something that manifested itself all of a sudden. So far she hasn't complained about any inability to login.
First happened with Firefox ESR 68 after it had been working OK since install months ago. So, I switched just for chase bank to using Chromium 78* and that worked OK till sometime between end of November when it had worked to when I tried again to pay a CC on Dec 27, 2020. I then updated my Chromium to version 87* and Firefox ESR to version 84, and still didn't work. I've been messing around with it the updated Chromium and finally got it working, but had to block chase.com from using Javascript, which is odd since I turned Javascript off completely and got a nasty message about it from Chase webpage would not work with it disabled. Yet, by turning javascript back on in Chromium, but instead blocking chase.com, it soared right into my account with no problem, so that seems to be the fix with Chromium, if you have also assigned it a user agent string of the following.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2743.116 Safari/537.36 Edge/15.15063

Here's the User Agent line I'm using in Firefox ESR version 84

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/84.0.4147.89 Safari/537.36

With just the change in user agent line, Chase bank still blocked it. So, I went to this site to see what I was showing Chase that could still keep my linux with updated browsers both firefox and chromium.
https://www.whatismybrowser.com/?ref=wh ... rowser.org
You can see what you are showing webpages, it will show you when you visit. However while there I noted Chase could still see my "navigator. platform" when able to use the javascript, which was still tipping it off I was on Linux. When I turned javascript off completely, the message about it being needed for Chase tipped me off I was on the right track. So, I turned the js back on, but individually blocked it from their site, which oddly then let me sign in OK. It seems I managed to block report of my navigator platform revealing the linux backbone behind my spoofed user agent, but I'm still puzzled on why that worked.

Why turning javascript off completely kept me blocked, but turning it back on for all sites, but putting chase.com into being blocked from javascript, did Chase security then allow me to finally sign in?

This is what Chromium I'm using; Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on LinuxMint 18.3 (32-bit)

This is what I now show at http:www.whatismybrowser.org site, and I suppose what Chase Bank now sees too, without realizing Linux is the platform I'm using.
Chromium 87 Using an User Agent Spoof
Chromium 87 Using an User Agent Spoof
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

MrEen wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:35 pm Hi Spearmint2,

I was getting all ready to say try using a User Agent Switcher before I finished reading the whole post. I'm glad you found that works. If my bank had done the same thing, I'd be tracking down their IT people and telling them to fix this. Their website is almost certainly sitting on an Linux server, so their staff should have some familiarity with it. And if such as easy thing as a browser extension is defeating their checks, then their checks aren't very robust, so why are they excluding Linux in the first place? Seems like security theater to me.
Maybe they think only hackers use Linux? Well, give them some credit, they did manage to block me for awhile till I got mad and decided to work on the problem and still do it with Linux!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Pierre wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:02 pm
sometimes, you can bypass the issue, as in this case, or use some other alternative,
to the Big Two Solutions .. it also dosn't make sense, as most companies are using Linux on their servers.
my Bank works just fine with an Linux System, as does all of the Utility Companies.
:)
Yes, all my other sites work fine with both Firefox and Chromium on Linux, ONLY Chase Bank has done this.

Notice what it says about use of javascript to detect the navigator.platform, so they can see if Linux is being used, even in spite of the User Agent string being spoofed to them.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/ ... r-platform
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

I must be lucky. I'm using Mint 20.1 beta and Firefox 84.0.1 (64-bit). I can log in to Chase without a User Agent Switcher. Occasionally get the Captcha challenge, but after getting through the inconvenience of that, my login goes well. Probably jinxed myself.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I would be changing my bank rather than adapt my OS to conform to the bank's ill conceived requirements.
Cliff Coggin
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

tgwilt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am I must be lucky. I'm using Mint 20.1 beta and Firefox 84.0.1 (64-bit). I can log in to Chase without a User Agent Switcher. Occasionally get the Captcha challenge, but after getting through the inconvenience of that, my login goes well. Probably jinxed myself.
I'm running mint 18.3 the 32 bit system. Maybe they don't want 32 bit linux, consider it "outdated" and 64 bit is OK? If things change for you signing in, drop a line here later, let us know. What I do know, as in link above msg, they don't list linux as an approved "required OS".
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I logged into my Chase account about 30 min ago from the machine I'm on now.
LM20 Cinnamon
kernel 5.4.
Thinkpad 550
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Spearmint2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm
tgwilt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am I must be lucky. I'm using Mint 20.1 beta and Firefox 84.0.1 (64-bit). I can log in to Chase without a User Agent Switcher. Occasionally get the Captcha challenge, but after getting through the inconvenience of that, my login goes well. Probably jinxed myself.
I'm running mint 18.3 the 32 bit system. Maybe they don't want 32 bit linux, consider it "outdated" and 64 bit is OK? If things change for you signing in, drop a line here later, let us know. What I do know, as in link above msg, they don't list linux as an approved "required OS".
32-bit vs 64-bit might be part of it. The system I setup for the friend is 64-bit. Have advised her to be on the lookout just in case.

Related thought: If only Windows or Mac platforms how can they justify their own Android apps on tablets?
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
ThrashZone2

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Hi,
Chase bank website is a bloated sad joke.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I've been able to log in to Chase website from Linux every month for a long while now. Just logged in again this afternoon to make sure I still can, and was able to log in without issue. Don't know what the problem is that others are having, but Firefox on Ubuntu still works fine for me. Yay!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

ThrashZone2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:33 pm Hi,
Chase bank website is a bloated sad joke.
It is. Bank of America has much better site.

Glad to hear others didn't have the same problem with login, yet. I'll move to a 64 bit system soon, maybe that is what Chase is rejecting, since I put 64 bit now spoofed in my user agent line.
ThrashZone2

Post by ThrashZone2 »

Hi,
I don't use linux on banking sites to know if it has issues or not
Firefox in general on windows doesn't on chase/...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

19.3 and Firefox works well for me with:
  • Discovery Card
    My two local banks
    Amazon
    American Express
and most other websites...

Occasionally, I have to turn OFF the following:
  • NoTrace
    uBlock Origin
    Bypass Paywalls

this extension causes a LOT of troubles with roughly 50% of the websites I use.
I'm not robot captcha clicker (disabled)

I have to turn it off in order to Continue to the Next Page.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

chiefjim wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:30 pm
Spearmint2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:40 pm
tgwilt wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 am I must be lucky. I'm using Mint 20.1 beta and Firefox 84.0.1 (64-bit). I can log in to Chase without a User Agent Switcher.
Related thought: If only Windows or Mac platforms how can they justify their own Android apps on tablets?
Trite to say but: They have an "app" for that. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”