do you feel mint forum is a bit too plain and looks boring to beginners ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

do you feel linux mint forums look plain and boring infront of its cool website, community and blog

yes
5%
no
67%
kind of partially
8%
don't know never thought
No votes
i don't care
21%

Total votes: 39

GNULinux

do you feel mint forum is a bit too plain and looks boring to beginners ?

Post by GNULinux »

as a beginner when i hadn't joined the forums i used to find it very boring

after joining the forum i really like this place now
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HappyHippo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: do you fell mint forum is a bit too plain and looks boring to beginners ?

Post by HappyHippo »

Bullshit!
Whats next? Request for rapmusic when you enter the forum?
More facebooklooks maybe?
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: (no change)
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: do you feel mint forum is a bit too plain and looks boring to beginners ?

Post by majpooper »

Not to be quite as harsh as Hippo but when LM was recommended to me I was interested in the OS not the "look" of the forum. Kind of like if I had to have major surgery I would be very interested in the skill and experience of the surgeon in deciding who I wanted to operate on me. Now if the surgeon looked like a boring person . . . . . . yeah, no I don't think so - if you follow my drift. :roll:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

NO ... It reminds me of my days running reports from a HP3000 :wink:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

GNU this comes up quite often from new members. The answers are always the same, us older folk don't give a crap and state why interfere with something that isn't broken?

The younger users kick up a stink because they are used to social media and not a bulletin board.

It really doesn't matter to me either way as long as it works properly.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

HappyHippo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:46 am Bullshit!
Why so rude? :(

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Works as-is for me.

Edit: "If I was stranded on a desert island, and the only way to get off was to create a pretty UI, I would die there."
-- Linus Torvalds
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Personally I think it works very well from a functional perspective, but that the colour scheme could possibly be changed to match the blog look and feel (which is what I've done here using FF / userContent.css).
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Moem wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm
I agree - this forum prides itself on being friendly.
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

Friendly is always in style :D I like the function of the board because just like Mint, it works.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

On my other hand, I would say why complain about something that is free and very helpful.
Last edited by Pepi on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

GNULinux wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am as a beginner when i hadn't joined the forums i used to find it very boring

I will say more. Mint itself is a very boring distro. Turn on power and it just works. Nothing to talk about.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm
While being a harsh way to respond, it still echoes the opinion many, if not most, of us share. The frequent appearances of posts, almost always from newbies, complaining about the appearance of this forum is rather tiresome. My first reaction when I saw the title of this thread was on the lines of, "Oh no, not another one!" (the polite version).

I agree with the sentiment many have already expressed the the functionality of a forum is far more important than it's appearance. If anyone wants to criticize a forum, they need to just try to use forums like the ones for LibreOffice or FreeFileSync. Functionally, those are a nightmare to use compared to how easily this one can be used.

The only appearance change I can think of that might improve the functionality of this forum (to some people) is to add an option for a dark screen.
However, it's not important enough to me to nag for it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

BigEasy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:44 pm
GNULinux wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:40 am as a beginner when i hadn't joined the forums i used to find it very boring

I will say more. Mint itself is a very boring distro. Turn on power and it just works. Nothing to talk about.
Mint is only as boring as you let it be. If you don't like something, change it. Granted, that can be easier said than done, especially for newbies to Linux Mint but it's still an option you won't get from Microsoft or Mac OS.

Since I care more about functionality than appearance, my appearance changes were pretty much limited to the wallpaper (and most people would think my choice is boring but I chose it because it is a dark background with more interest than just a black background but still allows my icons to pop and be easily readable. I also changed folder color to blue instead of the original "gangreen".
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

The only appearance change I can think of that might improve the functionality of this forum (to some people) is to add an option for a dark screen.
Hi Jeannie...In your Brave Browser, there is a setting to use "dark" format...i have that enabled and the forum page looks great using it as well as any other web site i go to...DAMIEN
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

Ahh the eternal "If it's not broken don't fix it" vs. "Change for change's sake" argument. How I missed it.

Look, the forum loads quickly, can include images, code snippets and links to other sites and rarely descends into a flame war (the younger readers may need to google that one). It just works.

About the only thing I'd change is an ability to search for tla's, atm you get told they have to be at least four letters long.
Complete World Domination within five years.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

freshminted wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:22 pm About the only thing I'd change is an ability to search for tla's, atm you get told they have to be at least four letters long.
You are right about the search. I, out of habit now, search outside the forum for info on issues which often as not leads me right back to the forum. But the forum search function, even the advanced search, just is not really as useful as any of the typical Internet search engines even when I am trying to find a tread I know exists on the forum to begin with. But that has nothing to do with how the forum looks.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:11 pm
Hi Jeannie...In your Brave Browser, there is a setting to use "dark" format...i have that enabled and the forum page looks great using it as well as any other web site i go to...DAMIEN
Where is that setting? The only one I could find was in Settings - Appearance - Brave Colors. I have had it set to Dark but it only affects Brave itself.
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have had it set to Dark but it only affects Brave itself.
On mine, it affects any web site i go to including this one...To see the difference of what im talking about, change it back temporarily and now view the forums site after a browser refresh or just opening it again...lol...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I should have also mentioned that i use a "dark" theme system wide on my XFCE...That obviously has an effect as well...DAMIEN

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”