Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

(Solved) Seeking Free Appointment Reminder for Home Use

Post by Alvin »

Can anyone recommend a free, home-user, appointment reminder software usable in Linux Mint 19.1 ? The program should present reminders on the desktop. Not for office use. Past appointment should be stored for a year or more. The appointment entries should be editable. Only a few appointments per day at max. I have been using Rainlendar2-lite, free version, but it does not allow editing, even when entering information. Type it and it stays, unless the entire appointment is deleted ! Can you imagine?
Last edited by Alvin on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Seeking Free Appointment Reminder for Home Use

Post by rossdv8 »

Would this be worth looking at?
https://github.com/mikeberger/borg_calendar

It has a .deb available:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/borg-c ... t/download

The website:
https://github.com/mikeberger/borg_calendar

Suggests:
Why BORG?
Hmmm. Why would anyone want to use a home-grown calendar/task tracker when there are so many others out there, freeware and otherwise?

A potential BORG user might agree with the following:

I use a calendar/task tracker to remind me to do everything in life that I have to do.
I do not want to set up a web server just to see my calendar
I do not want to access the internet to see my calendar
Some of my data is private. I don't trust putting it on an internet server.
I work on Linux, Windows and other OS's and would like any of my machines to run my calendar program
I don't want to have to worry about my calendar not working if I upgrade linux, windows, glibc, mySQL, apache, , etc...
I like open source software. Even if the developer(s) die, I can still build and enhance my calendar program.

And:
Features
Month/Week/Day/Year views
To-Do list
Repeating Appointments
Private Appointments that do not show by default (for recording things like "rectal exam 2pm" that you don't need your friends/coworkers to see over your shoulder).
Pop-up reminders
Email reminders
A Project/Task/Subtask Tracking System
A simple address book
XML import/export
Memo book with a strong encryption option (for very private memos, passwords, etc..)
Checklists more ...

I have no idea whether it is as good as the developer suggests, but if I didn't have my own home-made pop-up appointment reminder ( with voice ) I would be having a really good look at this !
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

U P D A T E:

I Installed Borg Calendar, just out of curiosity, and am testing some of its features. It appears very simple, seems to have the facility for saving previous appointments. I'm waiting to see what it does in the way of Pop-Up notifications.

If that works I'll see if it has audible alarms as well. So far though it is simple to use and edit and is tiny.

It also appears to have an option to attach files to an appointment. After the Pop-Up test, I'll look in to this too.

EDIT:
I tried kcal, which happened to be installed in my Mint Xfce (NOT by default) but it refused to let me set basic stuff like the time.
I haven't checked Gnome Calendar yet, but it is in the repos.

Still checking something with borg calendar. waiting to see if it works because it is not specifically part of the settings.
However, I did notice it seems to be a Java app. Which should mean it is portable - depending on the version of Java.
And it 'might' be able to be kept on, and run from a USB stick - which has Pros AND Cons..
Last edited by rossdv8 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
newlyminted7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by newlyminted7 »

I believe Linux Mint comes with a few already installed:

- Calendar (otherwise known as Gnome Calendar, I believe). Simplest of the bunch.

- Thunderbird has a calendar (but the Thunderbird application has to be running in order to see Event reminders pop up, whereas Calendar, above, does not have to be running to see reminder popups).

- Evolution (a lot like old MS Outlook). I don't think it needs to be running to see reminder popups, but I'm not sure.

And there's another one out there called Osmo, I believe.
I think it might be in the Software Manager.

I would imagine most of these applications keep the calendar data for more than one year, but I'm not sure.
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alvin »

Thanks to all! BORG seems to promise much more than I expect. No harm in that! I shall try it and comment in a day or two.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

Depending on your screen, you might like to go into Options > Preferences and set the default font(s) sizes to something more readable - and BOLD. You might have found already you can have different colours for various appointments.

Also, you can have a sound play when the Pop-Up happens, but so far I have not been able to tell it to speak the reminder (something that I can do in my own rather primitive Appointment Reminder script).
The more I explore BORG Calendar, the more interesting it seems for a simple little Java app.

The problem I can see is that sometimes Linux distros change their implementation of Java.
A good thing about it though, is that it allows you to backup your calendar - appointments etc database.
Something that could be either a worry, or a good thing, is that it allows the database and individual appointments / events to be encrypted.

Running ion the background, mine is showing about 260KB memory usage PLUS what appears to be about 170KB of mysql, compared with say korganizer using about 16KB.

I'm sure things like Gnome Calendar do some of this stuff, but there has to be a reason the developer wrote this thing.
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

You probably are just wanting a Work Station Calendar that shows up no where else.

For myself, I need Internet access so that All Devices that I use will show the same Calendar, and despite a lot of hatred towards Google, Google's Calendar has proven to be the most reliable of all that I have tried.

It will Ding my cellphone at the Notification timespan that I choose, same day, previous day, via email, or Dong Dong... Depends on how you configure each Alert.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Alvin »

A key feature for me of an appointment program is the reminder. I need a reminder that presents on the desktop, as does Rainlendar2-lite. The editing problem with the latter may be due to the Java implementation on Linux Mint. I gather that from a comment above. If so, not the fault of Rain's program. A reminder that I have to find by booting the entire program, as in BORG, is not a good reminder; I would need a reminder to boot the program :D
AZgl1500
Level 15
Level 15
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Alvin wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am
A key feature for me of an appointment program is the reminder. I need a reminder that presents on the desktop, as does Rainlendar2-lite. The editing problem with the latter may be due to the Java implementation on Linux Mint. I gather that from a comment above. If so, not the fault of Rain's program. A reminder that I have to find by booting the entire program, as in BORG, is not a good reminder; I would need a reminder to boot the program :D
No, actually all you need do is add BORG to your Startup Applications List

Startup.png

Note down at the bottom there are 3 symbols.
Choose the ( + ) symbol and then choose ( Add Application ), browse thru that list until you find BORG.
Click on "Add Application" and then close out that window.

Now, reboot the PC and BORG should present itself like as if you did it manually.

notice that I have chosen to have Firefox load up everytime. That is the 1st thing I do when the PC boots anyway, so why not have Firefox just load up and be ready to go?

it let's me know the Desktop is ready .... :)
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon / ASUS FX705GM
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (Solved) Seeking Free Appointment Reminder for Home Use

Post by Alvin »

Good suggestions! Thanks, again! I knew about the startup item in hardware choices; just didn't think of doing it. It's a way of using Borg, but the best reminder for me is still an open display on my desktop. I have plenty of room there for Rainlendar's calendar and event notices, especially after having removed the green L M icon from the desktop. I know I have Linux Mint, and I value it. The space is also valuable :D
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (Solved) Seeking Free Appointment Reminder for Home Use

Post by rossdv8 »

Borg should work nicely for you then, if you have set it to open in the Startup settings.
In my Mint 19.3 (Xfce), as soon as Mint starts, Borg calendar opens at the Month View, which shows any appointments, tasks, events and so on, for this month.

Then even though I close the calendar window, if I have set a Pop-Up reminder for something, it will pop a reminder on the screen at whatever time interval before or after the event, that I selected. Except I can't see a way to tell it to remind me a day or two before yet.
As well as displaying the reminder on the Desktop, say ten minutes, or even perhaps 5 hours before an appointment - it plays a sound (which can be changed) and can repeat the reminder.

I see you have marked the thread SOLVED, but this is just to fill in some gaps you sounded unsure of D)

Thanks to your question, I am now using Borg Calendar for mu Hospital Reminders..
Although I still use my own script for a spoken announcement on the day as well as the Borg Pop-Up.

Return to “Software & Applications”