Good Job Linux Mint Team!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mwshook
Level 2
Level 2

Good Job Linux Mint Team!

Post by mwshook »

I would just like to say thank you for your great job on Mint 20. I have had this computer for almost 10 years and have been using Mint for 9. I don't know how you do it, but this thing seems faster with every upgrade. The mintupgrade process went off without a hitch (except a small Chromium-related issue). Keep up the good work!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux newbie since 1997
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Good Job Linux Mint Team!

Post by FinixFighter »

I agree with you. I think that the only thing missing is a graphic upgrade system, which can be used by non expert users to upgrade their system. It would execute the same commands that we write in the terminal, but managed by a graphical utility :D
stallmansupport.org
DarrowAtreides
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarrowAtreides »

I would add my thanks and congrats as well. Mint 20 is fantastic. I'm a lifelong dos/windows user who finally got frustrated. I've dabbled with Linux a few times over the years but Mint 19 (and now 20) makes me think that I can finally make the change.

I'm in the process of either wiping and going mint only or going dual boot on all of my systems.

Have already sent one donation and will be sending several more to support this amazing project.
jave
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jave »

Congrats from me as well. I dumped WIn 10 back in Dec 2019, and installed Mint 19.2 back then, now running Mint 20 and very happy with performance, updates, ease of use etc.
soulstenance
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soulstenance »

I have only been using Mint for about a month now but I have to say I love it more and more every day! After dumping Windows for good I'm sickened by the thought that I ever thought I had to settle for anything less than this. Thanks for your amazing work. I will definitely be making donations once I am financially stable again!
Keetoowah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Keetoowah »

soulstenance wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:36 am I will definitely be making donations once I am financially stable again!
That is the best way to say Thank You :wink:
Ultimarok

Post by Ultimarok »

I personally am using LMDE 4 and like the job they have done on it so far. So I will add on to that "Good Job" praise!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

FinixFighter wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:28 am I agree with you. I think that the only thing missing is a graphic upgrade system, which can be used by non expert users to upgrade their system. It would execute the same commands that we write in the terminal, but managed by a graphical utility :D
Isn't this already a thing? I assume you mean package upgrading, which can be done by a 'store' or by something like the Synaptic Package Manager.

Or do you mean upgrading to a new point-release of Linux Mint? So, for example, from 18.2 to 18.3? I think, because this is a non-standard approach which comes with risk, a graphical interface for this task wouldn't really be a priority. You're better off installing the new Mint, while keeping your `/home` in-tact, assuming you partitioned it so.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
FinixFighter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FinixFighter »

Termy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:29 pm Or do you mean upgrading to a new point-release of Linux Mint? So, for example, from 18.2 to 18.3? I think, because this is a non-standard approach which comes with risk, a graphical interface for this task wouldn't really be a priority. You're better off installing the new Mint, while keeping your `/home` in-tact, assuming you partitioned it so.
Upgrading point-release is already graphical and very user-friendly for non expert users. I mean upgrading, for example, from 19.3 to 20. The check that expert users do via command line could be performed via a graphical utility. This would attract a bunch of users who don't even know what a terminal is.
stallmansupport.org
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

FinixFighter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 am Upgrading point-release is already graphical and very user-friendly for non expert users.
That sounds fair -- I'll take your word for it, as I've never done it that way, myself. However, there is that risk, so I will always recommend a reinstall, provided 'HOME' has its own partition. I suppose it could be that it's just not the risk it used to be, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

In Ubuntu land (not Ubuntu with GNOME3, but Ubuntu in general) I upgrade point-releases using sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, and haven't once, that I remember, had issues. I suppose it's the same sort of thing with Mint. Maybe it really isn't an issue anymore. :roll: Then again, I have a minimalistic, lightweight setup, so there are far fewer things to go wrong than a traditional desktop environment.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”