Remove Mozilla Products

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Legion99
Level 1
Level 1

Remove Mozilla Products

Post by Legion99 »

Mozilla was founded on the idea of protecting internet freedoms and providing universal access to the internet. I have been a user of Firefox since its inception as Phoenix. Mozilla has now become just another big tech company, stifling freedom of speech and thought and, obstructing universal access to the internet. This has all been done under the current banner of prevention of hate speech, a platitude of the intolerant. I appreciate this is a political-esque post but that is not my intention. Whatever the politics of the current situation, censorship and suppression of thought are not the role of the open software community.
They are in fact the exact opposite of what open software and Linux stand for. If Mozilla continue in this manner they are as intolerant and hateful as that which they profess to suppress. A loathsome and intolerant position for those who used to champion freedoms in all manner. I would like to see all Mozilla products removed from any future releases until they return to a neutral position and truly protect internet freedom and access. Flame away.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Remove Mozilla Products

Post by Pjotr »

Yes, the times are dark indeed. And rapidly darkening even more.

That said: this topic might be too political for this forum....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Massive flame in the first post and this indeed probably won't be kept unlocked for long at all.

This nonsense is getting blown way out of proportion including what happened with the evidently widely misinterpreted Whatsapp policy changes recently.

I could care less about Firefox anyhow and Thunderbird is not actually a Mozilla maintained product. The Thunderbird user community maintains it these days, all Mozilla do is give them the infrastructure to communicate between themselves, automatically build and distribute the application with.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 am I could care less
Do I feel angry when someone omits a negative in 'I couldn’t care less'? I'm not 8) And not only because the meaning is the same...
-=t42=-
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I used the modern form of the expression :lol:
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm going to assume that it means that you care somewhat. I'm vintage like that. :wink:

As for the topic at hand:
I've searched and searched but found no proof that Mozilla is actually making any changes in their products. They have taken a political stance in a blogpost, which I will not link to, because it's... political. Those who want to know more, and make up their own minds, can easily find it on the Mozilla blog.

I can understand people wanting to stop using a product because the makers are taking a political stance. There's no need to make stuff up; that alone is a valid reason. You get to choose what you use and what you base your choices on.

But let's stick to the facts here. No actual changes in Firefox have been announced.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I didn't think you were that vintage :wink:

EDIT - Also removing ALL Mozilla products would spell the end of Cinnamon Desktop. It relies on SpiderMonkey which is Mozilla's JavaScript
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:24 am I used the modern form of the expression :lol:
You mean the American form which reverses the meaning.
Cliff Coggin
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yes, but I want (and hope) they stay the heck out of politics, I despise politics. I use Chrome/Chromium since it works pretty much 100% on all websites, and Firefox sometimes has issues.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have read nearly all of the Anti-Firefox posts/threads over the years.

And yet, I see do not real side effects from all of the proposed "bad features" that folks claim for Firefox.
It is, and has been for a couple of decades now, my Default Browser of Choice.

Why? because it is stable, and it is the only Browser that properly handles Bookmarks and provides a 'Library' so that I can arrange my bookmarks the way I want them...

I categorize bookmarks by Topic/Sub-topic/Actual Problem
I do this because I moderate a Technical forum for motorcycle repairs...
No other browser that I have tried allows me to massage Bookmarks like Firefox does.

and down deep, I can use About:Config to exercise some control over how Firefox works.

Possibly others browsers have a way to do that, but as their GUI is useless to me, why bother to find out?

this is an example of how I can keep drilling down to find a Specific Problem by topics
Note that Firefox allows me to SORT TOPICS alphabetically.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:32 am I have read nearly all of the Anti-Firefox posts/threads over the years.

And yet, I see do not real side effects from all of the proposed "bad features" that folks claim for Firefox.
It is, and has been for a couple of decades now, my Default Browser of Choice.

Why? because it is stable, and it is the only Browser that properly handles Bookmarks and provides a 'Library' so that I can arrange my bookmarks the way I want them...

I categorize bookmarks by Topic/Sub-topic/Actual Problem
I do this because I moderate a Technical forum for motorcycle repairs...
No other browser that I have tried allows me to massage Bookmarks like Firefox does.
Waterfox does the exact same. I've told you that before and you would not believe me. Maybe a picture will help. Yes, the sort options are there too.
library.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Not going to flame, too dullard a topic. Use whatever you like.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Legion99 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 amWhatever the politics of the current situation, censorship and suppression of thought are not the role of the open software community.
I suppose the wretched comments made by Mozilla's CEO in Mozilla's official blog could be taken to represent their official stance, so, to sever a relationship with them, I recently dumped firefox and started using vivaldi (which has limited, difficult customization and overall seems a bit kludgy - but it has a bookmark sidebar!).

Wikipedia:
When his brother was jailed for three weeks in 1722 for publishing material unflattering to the governor, young [Ben] Franklin took over the newspaper and had Mrs. Dogood [Franklin's pseudonym] (quoting Cato's Letters) proclaim:

"Without freedom of thought there can be no such thing as wisdom and no such thing as public liberty without freedom of speech."
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Moem wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:08 am Waterfox does the exact same. I've told you that before and you would not believe me. Maybe a picture will help. Yes, the sort options are there too.
So does chromium if you open the Bookmark Manager and use 'Sort by name' :lol:
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

@Legion99

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are talking about in your first post. What is wrong with Mozilla software? Can you explain that more in detail, please? It looks like I missed something important.

Regards, Jože
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

senjoz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am What is wrong with Mozilla software? Can you explain that more in detail, please?
They (Mozilla) have taken a political stance in their blog (look up Mozilla blog and you'll find it) and some people are against that. It's not easy to explain that in detail because that is highly likely to turn political and we don't do that here, as per the forum rules.

Also, there is no definitive information available except for the Mozilla blogpost; people have drawn conclusions from that and believe that there will be changes in Firefox and/or other Mozilla products. But no such changes have been announced as yet. So that may happen, or it may not.

Speaking as a moderator:
Please be mindful of the forum rules in this thread, since it's about a potentially controversial subject. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Legion99 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 amMozilla has now become just another big tech company, stifling freedom of speech and thought and, obstructing universal access to the internet.
Can you provide a single piece of evidence?
How does Mozilla fight against freedom of speech?
How would they be able to control your thoughts or mine? They cannot do so, even if they wanted.
Legion99 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 amThis has all been done under the current banner of prevention of hate speech, a platitude of the intolerant.
It is those who spread disinformation and hate speech, who are intolerant.
Tolerating those who accept precisely one single point of view, their own, will result in the end of any tolerance finally.
Legion99 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:24 amcensorship and suppression of thought are not the role of the open software community.
Where is your verifiable piece of evidence that Mozilla were on the side of censorship?

You are free to make claims. But you should be able to provide pieces of evidence to support your claims. You have provided none.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

I assume we are referring to a recent post by a prominent individual at Mozilla making what is presumably a personal political view about social media which she might wish to be a collective Mozilla view. I find it hard to see this affecting the nature of software (Firefox or Thunderbird) which is all that I am interested in.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

senjoz wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am @Legion99

Sorry, but I do not understand what you are talking about in your first post. What is wrong with Mozilla software? Can you explain that more in detail, please? It looks like I missed something important.

Regards, Jože
+1

BTW. I cannot find any Mozilla software in this Mint 19.

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | grep mozilla
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Why has the starter of this infamous thread nor anybody else managed togive the link to the blog post in question?
Instead we only find vague transcriptions like
- "a recent post by a prominent individual at Mozilla making what is presumably a personal political view about social media"
or
- "the wretched comments made by Mozilla's CEO in Mozilla's official blog"

May I conclude that people base their negative verdicts against Mozilla on a single blog post, which some of them or maybe all of them have not even read carefully?
OK, here is the link, which has triggered furious reactions before: https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/01/08/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/.
Do not just read the title! Read the whole blog post. Read it carefully!
Try to find a single statement in favour of censorship. You will not be able to.

The essence of the blog, as I understand it, is more like this:
Deplatforming cannot be the right answer. Deplatforming happens only after the social damage has been done and hate, disinformation and FUD have already been spread.
It will be necessary to investigate independently how this happens and why this happens in social media and who makes money by letting it happen.
And it will be necessary to reflect on the challenge of preventing such things from happening.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux”