WTD: Recommendation for High End Webcam (not C920)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

WTD: Recommendation for High End Webcam (not C920)

Post by Kendoori »

I have a couple of Logitech C920s that use with Zoom, Slack, Google Meet, etc... I've learned the nuances of controlling these via v4l2-ctl, but the performance and output is nowhere near as one can get with the same camera on Windows.

This is what it is, and I don't expect for Logitech to do much for the Linux community. I spend a lot of time doing video and would like something better that has the most configurability in Linux. Does something exist that's better than the C920? for example, is the Brio much better.

I realize that lighting is an issue, but I find that even when lighting is good, the C920 is not so great.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: WTD: Recommendation for High End Webcam (not C920)

Post by mikeflan »

I recently bought an Aluratek 4K. I like it. Video quality is very good. Sound is OK, but not great. Configurability - I would say it is low, but you might not agree. It's a good webcam.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

mikeflan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:36 pm I recently bought an Aluratek 4K. I like it. Video quality is very good. Sound is OK, but not great. Configurability - I would say it is low, but you might not agree. It's a good webcam.
So have you had to make any adjustments? or are you using the defults. I would be using this atop my 27" desktop monitor. How is the field of view?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

No adjustments. It works good in darkly lighted conditions. Video quality is very good.
Lets see - I am 21 inches from the monitor and left to right is about 36" wide.
Here is a zoom meeting in 1.3 hrs. I'll expect you won't make this one. Set up another one if you want to.

Code: Select all

Time: Jan 14, 2021 09:00 AM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83727042107?pwd=QmpqeWNGUlIxWFlwSnBaWmNMSVJ1UT09

Meeting ID: 837 2704 2107
Passcode: arbUM7

mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

We just held this Zoom meeting and the camera you are using is great on video quality.
The field of view looked pretty good to me also, but I understand you would like a wider field of view.
I learned that 'qtv4l2' software allows for some configuration of the camera settings, but the settings don't stick
So you use shell scripts to reset the settings every time.
'guvcview' also allows configuration of the camera settings. So all it good now.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

mikeflan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 am We just held this Zoom meeting and the camera you are using is great on video quality.
Mike you are very kind to help me test. As I shared, I had two different Logitech C920 cameras, and as part of my troubleshooting, I swapped one that was attached to a Chromebox and put it on my Mint machine. I believe I have a hardware problem with the first camera.

P.S. nice to meet a fellow Minter real time :-)

Return to “Hardware Support”