Best Laptop for Mint

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
khsbenny

Re: Best Laptop for Mint

Post by khsbenny »

I would have a look through the wiki. Theres a huge list of laptops that work out of the box with it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerichoKru

Post by JerichoKru »

rheingold wrote:I'm shopping for a new laptop to install Mint. It will be used for basic emailing, openoffice, pictures, music(iPod). It won't be used for gaming or video editing. Any recommendations?

thanks
Might be a better idea to show us what you have in mind, too see if you have any (rare) hardware comparability errors.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

There are also now more than one company selling new Laptops with a Linux OS pre-installed.
That way you don't even have to mess with M$ . . . maybe, just switch the Linux OS to one you like? :mrgreen: LinuxMint ... ??

Several reliable companies, as the matter, of fact. Do a Google search for them.
And, they seem to be a little cheaper in price, than the ones that have a Windows OS installed.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

Hi rheingold !

Could you please tell me what the soundcard it has?

Could you post the output of this command:

lspci -v

I would be very grateful, indeed.

EDIT: The Acer Aspire 5517 was reported to be problematic with Ubuntu
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8026169
QOUTE: "i've already had some major compatibility problems with an acer aspire 5517 system. got the internet working thanks to some help on this forum, but sound and graphics remained a problem
can anyone recommend a good laptop with little or no compat issues that's still in production?
any help appreciated!"
vie et mort

Post by vie et mort »

I have an Acer Aspire 5517 and I have tried the Linux Mint 7 Live Cd with it and the only problems I have had during was the lack of wireless Internet. The sound, graphics, usb, everything worked except for wireless. I want to install it but I'm scared :oops: . So until theres more info for the Aspire 5517 I'm not sure I would reccomend it, at least if you are planning on running Mint.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

Hi vie et mort!

Have you tried antiX or Mepis on it?
http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Main_Page
vie et mort

Post by vie et mort »

igorzwx wrote:Hi vie et mort!

Have you tried antiX or Mepis on it?
http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Main_Page
Hi,
No I haven't but I'm willing to. I'm looking into them now, and will definitely be trying them sometime today. I have school soon so It might be sometime later tonight when I get a chance to sit down and run them. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm getting desperate here. I strongly dislike Vista (which is the OS I'm running now).
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

I have already installed antiX on the ancient box (2001).
Very interesting. Rolling release!
If you need help, you can send me a message.

Best,
Igor
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

Check out: http://www.system76.com. They sell Ubuntu loaded laptops. If you don't want to buy one of theirs, at least, check out the system specs and see what works.

System76 computers have their own spot in the Ubuntu forums. It don't get no better. :)
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

There is some info here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ly_Laptops

Whether it is reliable, or not, nobody knows.
No info about soundcards.
I would like to install OSS4, by the way.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound
lexon

Post by lexon »

I do not think there is a "best" laptop for Linux, only what works "best" for you. I have a Acer Aspire 5515-5879 that was sold by Walmart back around the beginning of 2009. Not sure it is available anymore though. I installed Mint 7 on it with no issues. Had Vista only Mint 7 now. Wireless works fine also.
System 76 has pre-configured PC's.

lex
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QUOTE: "a laptop is listed as being Ubuntu-friendly"

If it works with Ubuntu 8.04, it does not mean that it will work with Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04
lexon

Post by lexon »

rheingold wrote:Is it safe to assume that if a laptop is listed as being Ubuntu-friendly that it will also work with Mint?
It should, as Mint is based on Ubuntu. I ran Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD on my Acer 5515 and it ran fine. You might be happy with Ubuntu or you can dual boot it with Mint.

lex
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QUOTE: "It should, as Mint is based on Ubuntu."

I have Ubuntu 9.04 and Mint 7 installed on the same old box.
Mint 7 performs definitely better than Ubuntu 9.04 on that particular box.
It is really a matter of trial and error.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

@ vie et mort

[quote="vie et mort"]I have an Acer Aspire 5517 and I have tried the Linux Mint 7 Live Cd with it and the only problems I have had during was the lack of wireless Internet.

On my HP dv6119 laptop I did not have wireless from the live cd from either Felicia or Gloria. Once I partitioned, installed Mint, then selected the Broadcom wireless drivers I had no problems.
vie et mort

Post by vie et mort »

dawgdoc wrote:@ vie et mort
vie et mort wrote:I have an Acer Aspire 5517 and I have tried the Linux Mint 7 Live Cd with it and the only problems I have had during was the lack of wireless Internet.

On my HP dv6119 laptop I did not have wireless from the live cd from either Felicia or Gloria. Once I partitioned, installed Mint, then selected the Broadcom wireless drivers I had no problems.
I'll definitely take this into consideration. And sorry rheingold but I've not had a chance to sit down and partition/install/and tinker with the wireless because I've been so busy with school. But everything does seem fine when running the live CD (except wireless). If I get a chance to do this stuff this weekend I'll let you know the outcome.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Serious reply to your question. Thinkpads - R or T series and possible other series but spend the extra and get an intel wireless card.

I have tried dells and acers and other anonymous laptops and they all have issues with any linux it seems like. all of the thinkpads i have ever used esp. for Mint just work! Period.

I looked at a lot of the heavies in the linux development core group and they all seem to have thinkpads as of a few years ago when i explored this facet. If I had the money I'd get another thinkpad today. The new one I bought for my wife works great! the other 2 that i used to have worked great too. Hope this helps.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QUOTE: "all of the thinkpads i have ever used esp. for Mint just work! "

It is not true, of course.
What is more, Ubuntu 9.10 and Mint 8 are going to be problematic.
Many video drivers seem to be removed, or they are buggy.
And PulseAudio is irremovable.
There are already unlucky users with Ubuntu 9.10 and without sound on Russian forums.
They simply upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 and sound disappeared.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Hardware Support”