Openshot Video Editor

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
kedaly

Openshot Video Editor

Post by kedaly »

Take a look at the OpenShot Video editor!

http://www.openshotvideo.com/

Still in the early stages of development, but way more stable than Kivio and any of the other NLE's i've tried. It's a must for inclusion in the app store.
dawgdoc

Re: Openshot Video Editor

Post by dawgdoc »

@ kedaly

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried any video editing in linux. I have spent some time reading about various editors, but not OpenShot, that is until now. I have installed Kino. After playing w/ it a bit, I will give OpenShot an audition.
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

kedaly wrote:It's a must for inclusion in the app store.
I agree. Finally, a non-linear video editor for Gnome!
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

I would like to give OpenShot a go as at the moment I use Cinellera, which is fine as long as you remember to save after every change.

I downloaded both the .deb installer and the dependencies, in that order. The installer ran and installed on the computer, but I have no idea on how to get the dependencies working. I realize that I have mixed the steps up and I should have installed the dependencies first and then installed the program. I have two questions.

1 how do I uninstall the program, (as I can find no entry for it), even after a re-boot. And then
2 how do I install the dependencies.

Once I have the dependencies installed I will be able to install the program and all should be ready to run. I have both files on my Desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am running a fully updated Mint 5 Elyssa

Best regards Keith
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

I'm curious if anyone is successfully running OpenShot. Looks like it has a lot of potential.

(Edit)
I just installed it. Was easy. Just download and install both files:

You must install both the dependencies and OpenShot.
32 Bit / Ubuntu 9.04
Download Dependencies (DEB Installers)
Download OpenShot (DEB Installer)

I extracted and installed the dependencies first, then openshot.deb and works fine.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Does Openshot have video capture capability?

Well, installation was easy. Instead of using the .debs, I used the PPAs. I edited my sources.list so that I can update from the Ubuntu repositories using Package Manager (Synaptic). I have spent several hours on the Openshot website, their Launchpad site and playing with the program. I have successfully imported files that already exist on my computer. (The help feature in the program does not yet work.)

What I have not discovered is how to capture dv from my camcorder. (I have used this same camcorder to capture video using kino. In fact this is the video I used to create a project in Openshot.) The camera is a Panasonic PV-DV953D, it is MiniDV format camera. I am using iEEE1394 to connect the camcorder to the computer.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

It looks like a promising editor.

I'm intrigued by the comments on the blog though :
A question about Linux Mint, if I may, please...

> Helen McCall
> July 10, 2009 6:37 AM
> I wouldn't recommend Mint for video editing because you would be too restricted with regard to resources.

Would you be able to explain that, please? I like the look of LM much more than vanilla (or muddy orange, rather!) Ubuntu.
What does she mean, I wonder, "restricted with regard to resources"? :?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

dawgdoc wrote: Does Openshot have video capture capability?
Finally found a reference that says they do not at this time.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

Openshot's dependencies conflict with the ones used by Kdenlive 0.7.x. I couldn't add title clips in Kdenlive anymore (the application crashed systematically), and the problem disappeared when I removed the above said dependencies...
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

You can now add Openshot to your Mint 8/Ubuntu 9.10 repositories for easy install:

PPA Instructions
http://www.openshotvideo.com/2008/04/pp ... tions.html
den1m

Post by den1m »

yes it is stable now, i uninstalled Kdenlive instead, since its too unstable here. This one works! Very easy to use also!
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

Being in the suggestions forum and Openshot topic I have the following suggestion: make Openshot the default video editor in Linux Mint 9!
Ubuntu will ship Pitivi as it's default video editor in Lucid and I really think that it's a mistake by them. Openshot has many more features, effects it's really stable now and easy to use. I think you guys did a great job about replacing Evolution with Thunderbird and I encourage you to do the same with Pitivi: replace it with Openshot.

Of course it's just a wish of mine, I know any apps can be easily uninstalled and a new one can be installed. But still, everyone likes to see good apps out of the box. ;)
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Warning about Openshot's build wizard. I used it to download the latest Openshot and it was outputting some crazy stuff in the terminal. It looked like some virus was installing all sorts of crazy stuff. The installation took forever. It installed apps like Kino too for some reason. And to add insult to injury, the installation didn't even work!

I then manually downloaded all the deb packages and it worked fine. Building wizard my ass.
den1m

Post by den1m »

pappfer wrote:Being in the suggestions forum and Openshot topic I have the following suggestion: make Openshot the default video editor in Linux Mint 9!
Ubuntu will ship Pitivi as it's default video editor in Lucid and I really think that it's a mistake by them. Openshot has many more features, effects it's really stable now and easy to use. I think you guys did a great job about replacing Evolution with Thunderbird and I encourage you to do the same with Pitivi: replace it with Openshot.

Of course it's just a wish of mine, I know any apps can be easily uninstalled and a new one can be installed. But still, everyone likes to see good apps out of the box. ;)
Absolutely, there is only 2 good video editors for linux, the rest is useless garbage. These 2 videoeditors is the very unstable kdenlive, which would be great if it actually was so stable you could use it, or openshot. Openshot, now finally stable, is in my opinion the easyest to use. Kdenlive should aim more for professionals while openshot would be more for the masses, like windows movie maker, just much better. Linux miss this, so here you finally have something that linux have really been lacking in linux.

I agree with the thunderbird / firefox choise. I also think gthumb should be default image viewer. Mypaint is a good, lightweight painting program.

I hope they keep gimp too. If they HAVE to remove gimp to fit it to a CD, do a DVD release too with gimp, inkscape, blender, sundbird, scribus, kompozer, pidgin with OTR by default routed trough tor / vidalia, cheese webcam app, google earth, skype, and LMMS. There you have everything you would need of an OS, as complete as it could be. Do a "basic" CD release and a "all in one" DVD release, like windows basic and windows pro :P
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

For all Luddites not using Helena, like me, the Openshot developers have put together deb packages for the Openshot 1.0.0, all of its dependencies, and the help files.

They have deb packages Ubuntu versions 8.04 to 9.10 for 32bit and 64bit CPUs. Since I use Gloria, I downloaded the three packages for Ubuntu 9.04 32bit CPU. I next uninstalled Openshot 0.9.43 using synaptic, I had originally installed it with the PPA for Jaunty which has not been updated as the program was improved. This removed the icon from the Menu automagically. I opened the dependencies archive and installed the 4 deb packages in it by double clicking each in turn. After this, I double clicked the program deb. Finally, I installed the help files by double clicking the 0penshot-docs deb package. The menu icon was automagically created.

As far as I have tested it, it has worked for me. I imported a DV clip and watched the preview. I opened a Openshot project, with titles, I created in Openshot ver 0.9.43 and was able to preview it. The version I was using, 0.9.43, was unstable. I hope this version lives up to its numbering.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Openshot 1.1 is out. I will soon be installing it using the deb files downloaded from the Openshot site, just as I did for ver 1.0 in the previous post.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I had a successful, and working, install of ver 1.1.

Prior to installing this new version you should remove the old version. If you use Synaptic, <Mark for Complete Removal> instead of simply <Mark for Removal>. The new version is not installed with the same path as ver 1.0 and earlier were. Marking for complete removal will remove the old config files. This may save you same time and struggle.

:roll: Initially I used <Mark for Removal> and had errors when trying to start Openshot. This was resolved once I did a complete removal of my first install of ver 1.1 and then reinstalled it. :oops:
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

my Openshot was automatically updated this morning to Openshot ver 1.1.1

Best regards Keith

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”