What software to use for remote connection?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ralco
Level 1
Level 1

What software to use for remote connection?

Post by Ralco »

I'm new to Linux and I'm looking to also install Linux mint on my mom and dad's computer. They are both pretty much computer illiterate so I'm looking for a way to login remotely to their computer to help them if they have problems/questions.
Obviously I'm looking to do this in a secure/safe way which is where I'm reading conflicting information.
Can anyone recommend a free software that will do this securely?
At an old job I had, there was a software I used once but I can't remember what it was called. There was a guy remotely trying to connect to my computer, he sent me an email with basically a user name and password that I had to enter into the software and then he was able to connect to my computer. Something like that, if it's secure would work fine too, I won't need to login to my mom and dad's computer unless they are at home sitting in front of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AidenJames1995

Re: What software to use for remote connection?

Post by AidenJames1995 »

What you're looking for on Linux is a VNC Server. You really need make sure you know what you're doing security-wise though. This can be an open backdoor if configured wrong. I can't speak to any specific incarnation of server, as I haven't used one. SSH is another option if you can work purely by terminal.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is a few of those programs:
- most would suggest using:
Teamviewer for Linux
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

Teamviewer for Windows
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

some folks, do prefer to use other programs, as well.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AidenJames1995

Post by AidenJames1995 »

Pierre wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 am there is a few of those programs:
- most would suggest using:
Teamviewer for Linux
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

Teamviewer for Windows
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

some folks, do prefer to use other programs, as well.
Was totally unaware TeamViewer existed for Linux.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Personally, i prefer No Machine..

https://www.nomachine.com/download
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - that's an good one.

some also like https://anydesk.com/en
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

There is also Zoom. It is cross-platform and has a one-no-one support option. They've done a lot about security and encryption. And it permits an A/V dialogue during the private session. :idea:

Send me a PM if you want to test it sometime.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
Ralco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralco »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I had briefly tried nomachine with two of my laptops and it does what I want easily, but then I started searching to see if it's a secure option and that made me question if it was a good idea to do this or not.
I read that it's perfectly safe and also that it's an open door to anyone on the internet.
Are these all more or less the same in terms of security or is one better than the rest?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

An option to consider for remote work is a VPN. You can then use a combination of tools under one security setup. Like SSH, it is a pain to learn and setup. The benefit for some people is the ease of doing more things after you rip the bandages off.
Ralco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralco »

SSH is a text only control isn't it?
muitotri

Post by muitotri »

AidenJames1995 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:36 am What you're looking for on Linux is a VNC Server. You really need make sure you know what you're doing security-wise though. This can be an open backdoor if configured wrong. I can't speak to any specific incarnation of server, as I haven't used one. SSH is another option if you can work purely by terminal.
Hi!
Perhaps a good idea to use VNC securely would be a packaged combination of VNC + SSH, such as ThinLinc from Cendio (www.thinlinc.com). It is based in open-source and free for up to 5 users.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hi Ralco and welcome.
Everyone has their preferences however all the suggested ones work in exactly the same way so in the end, it's your choice. Many can be invasive in terms of marketing or how long they give you before they terminate your session and expect you to sign up and pay. The good ones allow you free access until they become prosperous (Teamviewer) then start nagging. It's simple to move on to the next one.
I've tried all the suggested ones and am currently with Anydesk. It's simple to set up for both you AND your parents.
As long as you both are behind a VPN almost nothing can hack the computers of either your parents or you. I use and recommend NordVPN.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Ralco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralco »

I installed Mint on their computer a couple of weeks ago and I had to do my first remote session with them tonight. I tried going the Zoom route as we have had some family Zoom calls so I figured they were at least a little familiar with it.
It took over an hour on the phone with them and I was never able to gain control of their mouse, but I was at least able to see their screen which allowed me to guide them.

I currently am using Surfshark VPN, I'm still in the trail period so I can cancel if need be. I can use it on unlimited devices so I could probably install it on their computer, the problem is there is not GUI for Linux and if they get disconnected somehow and need to reconnect they wont be able to use the terminal to do so. I also had trouble trying to setup a kill switch for it, I haven't had time to try to get it working, that would be a necessity on their computer but that also will confuse them greatly if there is a problem with it.

If they had a vpn, would that make it "safe" to leave their computer listening for connections at all times so I could remotely login any time and not require them to do anything on their end?

Does Nord have a GUI for Linux?
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

As far as I know, there is no GUI for any Linux-based vpn however with NordVPN, once you're set up, it's as simple as going to the Terminal and typing in 'nordvpn c us' (us is for USA. Each country has its own.) Each time you want to use it which is usually each time you turn on the computer.
A kill switch is typing in the terminal: 'nordvpn d'.
Oh, and Nord's customer service is excellent.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

At an old job I had, there was a software I used once but I can't remember what it was called. There was a guy remotely trying to connect to my computer, he sent me an email with basically a user name and password that I had to enter into the software and then he was able to connect to my computer. Something like that, if it's secure would work fine too, I won't need to login to my mom and dad's computer unless they are at home sitting in front of it.

From my experience, i've used a few different methods of what you are asking...
The best method I have found was from what Windows 10 had Offered me...

It offered me 2 ways to do this:
- 1) I could Remote Access a Simple Way & Easy To Setup (I Created My Own Pass & Account & My Own Access With Other User)
- 2) Was a way more Secure Remote Access, but much more Complex (It Secured Everything even the use of a Keyboard & Mouse)

These are from Windows 10, though, & I don't seem to think they are available on Linux as they might be from Microsoft's End...
They came Pre-Installed, & most people probably aren't even aware they are there...

As far as Linux goes? I don't see how a VPN is helpful. Isn't a VPN for using the Internet without people knowing your using it?
Where as Team Viewer & Desktop Remote Connect is actually used for showing someone's Desktop on your PC in a Window?
Are they not 2 different things that revolve around Remote Sessions?
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I use PIA for my VPN, couldn't be simpler to setup and use. Another one I intend to look at when my PIA subscription expires is mullvad:
https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/reviews ... structure.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

I've been trying to install NoMachine but keep getting this message
NoMachine.png
Can anyone translate because I haven't a clue. :D
MAlfare

Post by MAlfare »

Ralco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:27 am Can anyone recommend a free software that will do this securely?
vino-server on your moms side
Remmina on your side
and
SSH between
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Bob M wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:44 pm I've been trying to install NoMachine but keep getting this message
Can't help, I've had no issues installing PIA.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Ralco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ralco »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
You guys are giving my parents far too much credit, the terminal will terrify them and they will struggle with it if they need to use it.
I sent my mom an email with the zoom meeting info, she wasn't able to copy and paste it correctly, she had to manually type the info in, and my dad doesn't even know what copy and paste means. They can barely surf the web.

On my laptops, I tried reminna and vino as suggested, I was able to connect with reminna but I couldn't get the display to share.
I also tried thinlinc as was recommended. By the description of it, it sounds like it's what I'm looking for. I can't get the thinlinc server to install though, I get the following errors:

Error: PyGTK not found.
PyGTK is required for ThinLinc's graphical installer.
To install PyGTK, please run this command:
sudo apt install python-gtk2
Would you like to run this command now?
Alternatively, run this program from a terminal without the
DISPLAY environment variable set to get the text mode fallback.

I then try to install pygtk and then get this error:

E: Unable to locate package python-gtk2
Installation failed. Please report this issue to ThinLinc support.
Visit https://www.cendio.com/thinlinc/support for information on how to contact us.
Press Enter to close this terminal...

If I try to run it from the terminal I still get the same errors. I have spent hours trying to figure this out but have been unsuccessful so far. How do I run the program from the terminal without the display environment variable set?

Return to “Software & Applications”