Proton - Steam

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Moth
Level 1
Level 1

Proton - Steam

Post by Moth »

Hi All,

I am aware that linux is not the go to platform for gaming but I have resurrected and old PC that was faulty and it is still a decent spec.
I have installed linux mint on it 20.01 ( I am familiar with mint etc) , but my question is do any of you have any reconsiderations for using proton to run steam games as nothing seems to work and i thought it would be fun to just try it, I am of course following articles on ProtonDB etc but no joy, whilst I expect some pain I just cant help but feel i am doing something wrong it must be better than this ( I have tried over 20 titles that are listed as either gold or platinum on proton db website).

I have tried running each game with different versions of proton too again no joy.

Results from inxi -FZ :-

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: FromBeyond Kernel: 5.4.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A 
  serial: <superuser/root required> 
  Mobo: Gigabyte model: 970A-DS3P serial: <superuser/root required> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: FC date: 06/01/2015 
CPU:
  Topology: 8-Core model: AMD FX-8370 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  Speed: 1405 MHz min/max: 1400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1405 2: 1406 
  3: 1406 4: 1405 5: 2018 6: 1609 7: 1406 8: 1405 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] driver: radeon 
  v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: ati,radeon 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD HAWAII (DRM 2.50.0 5.4.0-65-generic LLVM 11.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 20.2.6 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Device-2: AMD Hawaii HDMI Audio [Radeon R9 290/290X / 390/390X] 
  driver: snd_hda_intel 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-65-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  driver: r8169 
  IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: fc:aa:14:c9:23:44 
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9227 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
  IF: wlp4s7 state: down mac: 60:e3:27:59:31:01 
  IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 6.37 TiB used: 120.59 GiB (1.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000DM003-1ER162 size: 931.51 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST6000DM001-1XY17Z size: 5.46 TiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 91.17 GiB used: 11.75 GiB (12.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
  ID-2: /boot size: 3.75 GiB used: 210.5 MiB (5.5%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sdb1 
  ID-3: /home size: 5.29 TiB used: 108.63 GiB (2.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb4 
  ID-4: swap-1 size: 30.52 GiB used: 2.3 MiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 30.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 42 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 267 Uptime: 1h 55m Memory: 15.67 GiB used: 4.06 GiB (25.9%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to "Gaming on Linx Mint" (from "Software & Applications"). Applied [c] and [code] tags as appropriate to inxi and inxi output
Moth
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Proton - Steam

Post by Moth »

Hi , I am still having issues but I am now at least being able to load some of the games, I ignored the driver manager for Radeon syying you don't need to update and downloaded and installed from the website following the ubuntu instructions. There are two scrips an install and an install pro, the only one that worked was the pro.

So things are slightly better I can at least load some of the games, but they won't start?

Just filling this in for others in case they have problems too.

Anything anyone can add is very much appreciated as well :-)
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

I could be working off of old information. But I think the problem is that you're running the 'radeon' driver. A lot of Proton games rely on Vulkan for DXVK (for DirectX games). If I remember correctly, you need ot be runnign the 'amdgpu' driver.

This should not involve installing any special drivers.

I'd recommend doing a Timeshift backup just in case my advice messes things up more.

But I think you should be able to enable amdgpu by editing grub.

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
You could also do this in another text editor if you can open /etc/default/grub as root.

There should be a line in that file something like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 amdgpu.si_support=1"
Save the file and then from the terminal do:

sudo update-grub
And then restart.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JoeFootball »

Moth wrote: ... do any of you have any reconsiderations for using proton to run steam games ...
Just be aware that Proton leverages Wine to achieve this, and thus all its risks as well.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 1000 »

Moth
1. I don't know what games you are talking about.
In protondb.com users who test the games, they write on what hardware.

2. From the second post it appears that the problem was in the driver, not in the games.
I'm glad that your games are already working :)

3. I don't know what scripts you are writing about :( From where?
There are two scrips an install and an install pro
Because I use only default driver from system or drivers from

pkexec driver-manager
In the past, I also used newer drivers from an external repository, but I can't find it.
But I was doing it on my own responsibility because it's not a very safe road.

4. The Steam website only supports Ubuntu, but
other distributions may report the problem there:

Client for Steam
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues
- They will need error.log from Steam.
Should be in /home/YOUR_USER_NAME/.steam/debian-installation/.error.log
(the folder with the period at the beginning is hidden)
- Test also Steam Beta https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -EIAH-8669
- Give them too inxi -Fxxrzc0 output ( instruction --> viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644 )

inxi -Fxxrzc0

Proton for Steam
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues
You must first create a game log.
https://www.protondb.com/help/troublesh ... ith-proton
If not will work something, write there.
Moth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moth »

I was talking abut the drivers that I downloaded from the Radeon website. Basically there were two install scripts but only one would run.

As you say it was a driver issue, however I have now moved on to Lurtis and am having a blast running lots of games, I thought this would be a headace but was determined to give it a go, to say these games are not written for this OS and I now struggle to find one I cant get to run I would say its amazing.

Hope this thread helps others.!
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Moth wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 am
I was talking abut the drivers that I downloaded from the Radeon website. Basically there were two install scripts but only one would run.
You don't want to do that. Unfortunately, it's a common thing for people who come from Windows to expect that you need to go and download some official drivers from the AMD website. This leads a lot of people down the wrong path.

And it's also unfortunate, that the AMD drivers that are built into the kernel default to radeon, which does not support Vulkan, for some older video cards (older cards that are still sufficient for some gaming).

I suppose if things are working for you, then it is okay. But you might not have optimal performance if you are using drivers you downloaded.

This is a better description of what I mentioned above: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton ... enGL-games
Moth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moth »

Thanks for your reply, I have removed the driver and it has gone back to the old one by default I will see if I can get it working.

I found out last night by accident that the graphics driver update although working just fine for games had broken retro pie.. I have reverted and retro pie is now working again.

So I will attempt to get it working as you suggest as I don't want to be installing and removing the drivers each time I want to switch, as I say this started as a project to see if I can get things to work as I have been using mint on my laptop for some time now, so I have which is great, Ill see if I can get it all working with the provided driver as that will be great also.

I missed out that I specifically installed the driver to get around errors in dead island as that was loading with proton without any need for lutris, somewhere along the troublshooting I dcont remember where the driver install was recommended and it fixed that specific issue.

I can confirm that I am back to games not starting , but I have not yet followed the article you kindly suggested, I will post back to help others once I try it.
Moth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moth »

All, if looking to resolve please review the post by ugly further up the thread, this worked a charm for me the games are now loading and also retropie (emulation station) is still working.

I noticed a few differences , the games were slower to launch ( don't worry they run just fine, if you have been trying like me this is normally a sign it wont load, it did for me).
Also the graphics actually appear to me to be better (on this occasion) than using the radeon driver i know this sounds silly but I noticed some blurring in fallout 4 when aiming down the site, this has now gone.

I have only tested fallout 4 but the fact that this loaded is a really good sign.

Again hopes this helps someone else, thanks ugly now everything appears to be in order.

If you have installed the radeon drivers and want to remove them to try this, there is an uninstall script provided by the vendor and the process is pretty painless.

Note when readibng the article I was unsure which family of card I had and went with the suggestion to add both since the article says this is safe to do so.

Thanks again ugly. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Moth wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:18 pm
I noticed a few differences , the games were slower to launch ( don't worry they run just fine, if you have been trying like me this is normally a sign it wont load, it did for me).
The lower perfromance at launch might be the issue of the shader cache. If I can try to explain it quickly (and probably poorly), with DXVK (which is used to run DirectX Windows games using Vulkan, which is part of the magic of Wine/Proton) the shaders have to be generated on the fly. This can lead to a lot of stuttering. Steam has a shader cache, which helps with this issue. But it has to be rebuilt every time the drivers update and can take a while to process.

Glad it worked out for you. I used to have a HD7850, so I had a similar issue.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”