Moving away from Google,Microsoft, and beyond...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Cole87
Level 1
Level 1

Moving away from Google,Microsoft, and beyond...

Post by Cole87 »

Hi.
First of all i have to say that Ive tried the search function, and i didn't find what i was searching. If this has been discussed before, can i please be pointed to that direction? Thank you.

So i ditched Microsoft Windows, rather promptly,.. i thought i was doing Dual boot,... i wasn't :oops: :P
So Mint all the way now :D

But now to the most important thing. Google.
All the guides just say make an mail from a different Organization and call it a day. Here is where my problem begins...
Ive collected allot of User Accounts.
Example:
I have and Photography And Video acc. That YouTube channel has only photography/video related videos. I watch guides blogs,... The bookmark if filled with Sites related to that.
Then i have Mountain Biking Acc. That YouTube channel has only Mtb videos. Bookmarks filled with sites related to that.
Tech, Books, Personal, Work, Junk,...
And so on and on... To 17 Different Accounts. 17 Emails...

When i get a new interest, Ive created a new Account. So that way everything is in its own little world.
Thank you for the person that created Password Managers!

How do someone try to move away, or try to diminish dependence on it?
Because right now, i have no idea :roll:
Specially YouTube, i want to use it, but for that i need google email, so i cant really delete it :P

Btw, What are some sites that are worth paying attention when it come to Linux world. Or YouTubers?

Thank you for the read, Cole.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Moving away from Google,Microsoft, and beyond...

Post by Moonstone Man »

Cole87 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm ... Re: Moving away from Google,Microsoft
Basically you don't, unless you move to BSD, and even then you're still not 100% free of them. Google and Microsoft are the two biggest contributors to GNU/Linux, period. A very large proportion of your GNU/Linux system is Google and Microsoft.
TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Cole87 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm Tech, Books, Personal, Work, Junk,...
And so on and on... To 17 Different Accounts. 17 Emails...

When i get a new interest, Ive created a new Account. So that way everything is in its own little world.
Thank you for the person that created Password Managers!

How do someone try to move away, or try to diminish dependence on it?
I do not understand you.
Let you have 17 interests. But ebay rules, for example, only allow one account. Paypal, Amazon - one account.
When buying any thing for any interest, you will use one account for all.
This account history will be filled with all interests.

Desktop? Linux Mint can have multiple, but not 17.

Check all 17 mail boxes.

This is not for me.

p.s. I advise you to use Tree Style Tab add-on for Firefox. (I have over 200-300 tabs tree now.) And one mail box with folders for each interest.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... style-tab/
Once you go Tree style tab, you don't go back !
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I use gmail, and the solution is super simple.

I just set up gmail to Forward all emails to my Primary email account.

Once in a while, I go to gmail and delete everything, it is not needed as all of it is forwarded to my 'primary account'.

as you get your new account set up, you can gradually change the email address of things that need to be changed, and leave gmail behind you.

I like Yahoo email, you can set up as many "throw away" email addresses as you want,
and you can filter those into separate inboxes if you wish.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

even though it is commonly bagged . The Yahoo email service is good,
and there is that 50 disposable eMail account thing, that handy, too.
:)

lots of folks want to move away from their ISPs eMail
& the suggestion usually is move to Gmail :!:

lots of folks want to move away from Gmail,
& the suggestion usually is move to an ISPs eMail :!:

there is no real answer to the eternal question . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cole87 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm Specially YouTube, i want to use it, but for that i need google email, so i cant really delete it :P
You can watch videos without logging in. I never ever log in. You can just set a browser bookmark for a channel you want to keep track of.
Now of course, if you also want to post videos of your own, then there's not really a solution. But you can at least do that in an incognito browser window and log out afterwards.

Browser hardening, by using addons: I always use at the very least Decentraleyes, uBlock Origin and Privacy Possum.

You can't really avoid giving information about yourself away when you are using the internet. But you sure as hell can give a lot or a little of it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cole87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cole87 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm unless you move to BSD
For someone that is struggling with basic Linux knowledge, that has to be a hard pass for me :P
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:03 am You can just set a browser bookmark for a channel you want to keep track of.
Now of course, if you also want to post videos of your own,
Browser hardening, by using addons: I always use at the very least Decentraleyes, uBlock Origin and Privacy Possum.
That would be allot of bookmarks :P I dont have a TV or Radio, so youtube is basically the only "noise" in the room for me.
I dont post, just listen and watch.
Yeah i did some of that hardening, i have to say it work allot better than nothing, all tho i break allot of sites :P
Pierre wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:17 pm there is no real answer to the eternal question . . .
Yeah i noticed that :D
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 pm as you get your new account set up, you can gradually change the email address of things that need to be changed, and leave gmail behind you.
Yeah im working on that now, reading up on all the email providers.
TheyLive wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:07 pm I do not understand you.
Let you have 17 interests. But ebay rules, for example, only allow one account. Paypal, Amazon - one account.
When buying any thing for any interest, you will use one account for all.
This account history will be filled with all interests.

Check all 17 mail boxes.
This is not for me.

p.s. I advise you to use Tree Style Tab add-on for Firefox.
Im Sory :lol:
Its easier to pay with 1 specific mail, just meant for shopping, than with all of them... but yeah i understand what you mean...
If you cancel notification for them, its quite easy :P
Thank you for the suggestion, How will that work container tabs? or is the Tree better option?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Cole87 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:03 am You can just set a browser bookmark for a channel you want to keep track of.
That would be allot of bookmarks :P
Yes, and is that a problem?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Youtube has it's own channel subscription management feature, it's easy enough to use and you could just bookmark that page rather than every single channel :lol:

Also if you are so dependent on YouTube you aren't really moving away from Google at all.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:25 pm Youtube has it's own channel subscription management feature, it's easy enough to use and you could just bookmark that page rather than every single channel :lol:
Wouldn't one need to be logged in for that? Also, why is that funny?

antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's funny because they want to move away from Google but must use YouTube apparently. Yes they need to be logged in but also stated having a Google account for logging into YouTube with anyway so it may as well be put to use properly.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cole87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cole87 »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:25 pm Youtube has it's own channel subscription management feature, it's easy enough to use and you could just bookmark that page rather than every single channel :lol:

Also if you are so dependent on YouTube you aren't really moving away from Google at all.
Yeah you can "subscribe" to lets say "music" category, but then you get all the damn artists on the planet. And since my genre is not what most people listen (epic music), i stick to individual subscriptions.
Yes i do understand my dependence on youtube, i just thought, if there is a way to limit google aspect from it :P
I tried searching for other youtube alternatives, but honestly no idea what is good or not...
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:15 pm Yes, and is that a problem?
Well,... honestly i haven't tried that yet. I'm honestly gonna give it a try :D
Cole87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cole87 »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 pm It's funny because they want to move away from Google but must use YouTube apparently.
Because I have problems with just "Text lurning", so audio and video is better for that...
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I subscribe to about 30 different channels, some music artists others industry specific and some comedy and motorsport. The subscription system is more granular than 'music' where you get every artist under the sun. When you find a particular channel you like from a YouTube contributor hit the subscribe button on that and it's added to your subscription list. It really is that easy.
Cole87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cole87 »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm I subscribe to about 30 different channels, some music artists others industry specific and some comedy and motorsport. The subscription system is more granular than 'music' where you get every artist under the sun. When you find a particular channel you like from a YouTube contributor hit the subscribe button on that and it's added to your subscription list. It really is that easy.
Oh you meant that. Sory i misunderstood.
Yeah i dont like that style. Thats why so many Accounts.
When i watch Tech channels, i only get tech channels.
When i listen to music i only get recommended music channels... and so on.
I had all the different "interests" mixed, it was all over the place,... music, tech, guides,... chaos.
So now everything is packed nicely. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cole87 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:12 pm
Its easier to pay with 1 specific mail, just meant for shopping, than with all of them... but yeah i understand what you mean...
If you cancel notification for them, its quite easy :P
Thank you for the suggestion, How will that work container tabs? or is the Tree better option?
IF, the vendor accepts PayPal, that is how I pay for products.

IF, they do NOT, I have a 2nd checking acct with my bank that maintains a very low balance, I use it for buying gas at the gas pumps, if it gets hacked by a scanner, my main ckg acct is not disrupted while I wait for a new card.

I have for a year now, switched to only buying gas with a GasBuddy card, that is linked to my bank acct.

I also have an AMEX and a Discovery Credit card, so those are available to use once in a while, often enough that the card is not closed out for lack of use.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
witzel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by witzel »

Cole87 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm Specially YouTube, i want to use it, but for that i need google email, so i cant really delete it :P
There is a huge misconception around all of this among users...
No, you don't need a Gmail account to use Youtube, you don't even need an account to begin with, but if you want to have an account you can sign-in using a non-Gmail account. Unfortunately, Google tries to hide so much this option, so very few know. I have a Tutanota account linked to a Youtube account. This account has no real info about me and I use it through a VPN connection, you don't need to be like me, but you can create a secure e-mail and still use Youtube.

Here's a direct link https://accounts.google.com/signup/v2/w ... try=SignUp
Just do not forget clicking "Use my current email address instead"
witzel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by witzel »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:00 pm
Cole87 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm ... Re: Moving away from Google,Microsoft
Basically you don't, unless you move to BSD, and even then you're still not 100% free of them. Google and Microsoft are the two biggest contributors to GNU/Linux, period. A very large proportion of your GNU/Linux system is Google and Microsoft.
Some people just don't want to access or use their products, they don't care if Google, Microsoft, Facebook whatever are contributing to Linux, especially if their contribution is in the open source area where you can check.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

witzel wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:52 am ...especially if their contribution is in the open source area where you can check.
Name everyone you know who can read source code.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 am Name everyone you know who can read source code.
That would be violating their privacy. But at least 8 people.

Return to “Open Chat”