[solved] Get my FireFox settings from Windows?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ozzy24

[solved] Get my FireFox settings from Windows?

Post by ozzy24 »

You know, I believe I don't have much of a reason not to find a flavour of Linux. I don't rely on any Windows apps, hardly any Windows games. So why not? I really would like to transfer my Windows Firefox settings/bookmarks to Linux Mint 7. Is there a way? Oh and I got to ask. Is a Linux system really more stable, trouble and virus free? Is Linux Mint a good choice?
xmarks is pretty cool. me like!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dequire

Re: Get my FireFox settings from Windows?

Post by dequire »

This is the best way - install Xmarks plug-in on both your Windows machine and your Linux machine while you are making the transition.

http://www.xmarks.com/

It keeps your bookmarks and toolbars (and optionally stored passwords) across Windows and Linux and Mac, Firefox Safari and IE.

You could also select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export HTML to back up and then import your bookmarks. Though I like the fact that Xmarks syncs everything no matter what OS I am using.

Oh and your other questions -

-Yes
-Yes
-and Yes!
ozzy24

Post by ozzy24 »

dequire wrote:This is the best way - install Xmarks plug-in on both your Windows machine and your Linux machine while you are making the transition.

It keeps your bookmarks and toolbars (and optionally stored passwords) across Windows and Linux and Mac, Firefox Safari and IE.

You could also select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export HTML to back up and then import your bookmarks. Though I like the fact that Xmarks syncs everything no matter what OS I am using.

-Yes
-Yes
-and Yes!
Thanks dequire. You are a good forum user. Though I really expected a little more from the Mint community.
dequire

Post by dequire »

You are welcome! And welcome to Mint.

To be fair to the community, the question of "why Mint" gets asked every day. So I can understand why some people are hesitant to respond. To more thoroughly answer your question, I would recommend starting at Distrowatch.com. There are links to many reviews and a wealth of information. Currently, Mint is ranked 3rd, behind Fedora and Ubuntu. And rising. SO they must be doing something right.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint

As for security, a good place to look is Wikipedia.org's Comparison of Windows and Linux entry. Specifically, go to the "Security" section. 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... _and_Linux

Good luck in your transition!
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

To get all your setting as well, I would suggest getting the FEBE add-on.

atlef.
ozzy24

Post by ozzy24 »

dequire wrote:This is the best way - install Xmarks plug-in on both your Windows machine and your Linux machine while you are making the transition.

-Yes
-Yes
-and Yes!
Ok, I have installed Mint 7 64bit side by side my Vista install. Now about this xmarks. Does it need to be installed on both partitions?
dequire

Post by dequire »

xmarks needs to be installed on each browser, as a plug-in. It doesn't matter if the browsers are on the same PC, partition, OS, whatever. Just install xmarks on your windows browser and your linux one. They will automatically sync bookmarks and passwords between all of your browsers. Hope that helps.

- R
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

ozzy24 wrote:You know, I believe I don't have much of a reason not to find a flavour of Linux. I don't rely on any Windows apps, hardly any Windows games. So why not
Oh and I got to ask. Is a Linux system really more stable, trouble and virus free? Is Linux Mint a good choice?
I don't rely on any Windows apps, hardly any Windows games. So why not
Yup, I guess that negative billing (opt out) always works against Linux..
--you have to choose Linux, you already get windows

Is a Linux system really more stable
If you asked that question on a windows OS forum or an Apple OS-X forum, what would you expect the reply to be
--you can't surely expect any less in this forum..
  • Is a Linux system really more stable
    Yes
    trouble and virus free?
    yes
    Yes
    Is Linux Mint a good choice?
    Yes
Thanks dequire. You are a good forum user. Though I really expected a little more from the Mint community
Though I really expected a little more...
Oh OK: sorry about that

How much more, since I see you were given two answers on the main question, getting settings from the windows version of Firefox to Linux version of Firefox
ozzy24

Post by ozzy24 »

DrHu wrote: Is a Linux system really more stable
Yes
trouble and virus free?
yes
Yes
Is Linux Mint a good choice?
Yes
DrHu wrote: Is a Linux system really more stable
If you asked that question on a windows OS forum or an Apple OS-X forum, what would you expect the reply to be
--you can't surely expect any less in this forum..
I was just looking for a little positive reinforcement, not some smart ass answer.
DrHu wrote:
Thanks dequire. You are a good forum user. Though I really expected a little more from the Mint community
Though I really expected a little more...
Oh OK: sorry about that

How much more, since I see you were given two answers on the main question, getting settings from the windows version of Firefox to Linux version of Firefox
Again another smart ass answer, keep that crap to yourself! There may have been two answers but that doesn't automatically mean it's solved!
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

ozzy24 wrote: Though I really expected a little more from the Mint community.
That sure seemed like a smartass statement to me.

You should have kept that to yourself!
ozzy24

Post by ozzy24 »

markcynt wrote:
ozzy24 wrote: Though I really expected a little more from the Mint community.
That sure seemed like a smartass statement to me.

You should have kept that to yourself!
Kinda was wasn't it? What do you expect when you turn to the community and you can't get the help you need. I know I've gotten some good help now, but in the beginning it seemed hopeless.

Return to “Beginner Questions”