Cinerella

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1GN4Z

Cinerella

Post by 1GN4Z »

Hey guys,

I (as a Linux "half-noob") need someone who can explain to me how I can install Cinerella (here) on my Linux Mint 7 system.
Believe me I googled 'till my fingers bled. But I was just able to find a Ubuntu explanation (Yes, simliar but soooOO different for a newbe ;) ).

This is the last Linux test for me to be completely convicted. Every Software I used on Windows is replaced really good by an "Linux application". But NOT my Adobe Premiere. If Cinerella works and is as good as Adobe Premiere (and it LOOKS better than AP on the screenshots ;) ) I'll never go back to windows anymore.

It is really really important for me cause I earn my allowance with my films.
So please ( and I mean PLEASE) give me a step-by-step (started up from the download) explanation.

Thank you

Bye

Kai K. aka 1GN4Z

P.S.: If it isn't toO much work you can describe what the different console advises mean (I want to learn yet more about Linux) Thank you (but remember if it ISN'T TOO MUCH WORK). Now, really bye ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinerella

Post by atlef »

3.2 COMPILING FROM SCRATCH

It should be noted that the compiler used in building Cinelerra binaries is the free GNU compiler and very conservative optimization flags. Alternative optimization flags and compilers produce varying results. Compiling the source is hard and there's no warranty if the source code fails to compile, but the method for compiling starts by downloading the source code and decompressing.

The compilation is verified on a vanilla Fedora 4 installation, workstation mode. Fedora doesn't install a lot of dependancies like nasm and yasm. Yes, 3 assemblers are now required to assemble x86 code. Compiling the source is hard and there's no warranty if the source code fails to compile, but the method for compiling starts by downloading the source code and decompressing.

tar jxf cinelerra*.tar.bz2

The compilation is verified on a Fedora 4 installation. Fedora 4 doesn't install a lot of the reqiured compilers. Mainly nasm and yasm, 2 of the 3 assemblers. These have to be installed manually for compilation to succeed.

Enter the hvirtual directory

cd cinelerra

Then run

./configure

This checks the build environment for the right tools and should give you an error if a tool is missing. Once that succeeds run

make

The make procedure should run through all the directories and put binaries in the i686 or x86_64 directories. When NFS was a lot faster, we compiled Alpha and i686 binaries in the same filesystem with the objects in different subdirectories, so all the binaries are still put in subdirectories.

A lot of libraries are included to get the version numbers right. Some of the libraries don't compile on SMP systems. One solution is to disable SMP when rebooting and reenable it when compilation is finished. Another solution is to rerun make over and over until it gets through the offending libraries.

Once finished, make sure you are root and run

make install

to install the binaries. If installation fails it means something failed to compile or you weren't root. Run make again and watch for errors.

Sometimes you'll want to run make clean if you're programming something or the system libraries change. In this case, you'll probably need to run configure again because some libraries delete their configuration files in make clean.
Or, add this PPA to your sources.list

atlef.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Funny you should ask... I just ran across this on the Ubuntu Multimedia Production forum. The disclaimer is that I haven't tried it myself.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199390

-DataMan
1GN4Z

Post by 1GN4Z »

Thank you guys.
What is a ms-support if you can get a communtiy support ;)

Thank you very much!
Linux made my day (and the day before and the other day before that day... ;) )
1GN4Z

Post by 1GN4Z »

Ok I made the things you told me to do.

But I can't run cinerella anywhere. This means something failed in the instal.
The only possible failure I can imagin ist the "root". I don't know how I can log on as root. I've heard that Linux Mint don't use this. Instead it takes another system (that's why you always have to write your password).

Is it ok when I run ./configure than make and the sudo make install?

I hope it will work this time...

Kai K.
1GN4Z

Post by 1GN4Z »

Hmmmm...
doesn't work again.

I go in the right directory. Than I run ./configure.
'Till a relatively long time there dash many commands in the console.

Than there is written:
Configure was successful. Type "make" to build me.

So I type "make".

Again the commands in the console.

Then there is no advise like the on before. Everything seems to be normal. So I type "sudo make install". Than I must give my password and than there are again a few commands and everything has finished.
But in my main menu there is no cinerella or something else.
Please help me...
(I said I'm a noob ;) )

Thank you
Kai K.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Kai,

After my posting I went ahead and installed Cinerella. What I did was follow the instructions in the site's download page. The trick is to find the instructions for the Ubuntu-equivalent you are running in Mint. Follow the instructions for upgrading the repository and THEN go into your package manager and search for Cinerella. Once found, then install from there. This will build the app complete with dependencies and build it into the menu structure for Mint.

Now the trick is to figure out how to effectively use it without majoring in Nuclear Fusion... :lol: .

-DAtaMan
1GN4Z

Post by 1GN4Z »

Hi again,

So I should make the following thinks (Just to have a overlook ;))
-go on the cinerella download page and look for the ubuntu instruction. This should be an instruction especially for mint.
-than I follow the steps and cinerella will be in my package downloader.
-i go in my package downloader and install it from there.

Is that right? ;)

Thank you again

Bye
Kai K.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

That's what I did successfully. One note though, you will not find any reference to "Mint" there. You will need to know the equivalent Ubuntu reference that your current Mint installation is based on.

Good Luck,

-DataMan
1GN4Z

Post by 1GN4Z »

Hehe
Thank you for your practical training ;)

I will see if I can solve this quest :D

Return to “Software & Applications”