Odd Imagemagick behaviour.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Odd Imagemagick behaviour.

Post by iironjade »

Usually opening a PDF triggers the Document Viewer but today it set off ImageMagick and would not be persuaded otherwise. If ImageMagick had actually allowed me to view the PDF there wouldn't be a problem but it just froze.
The only way to tame it was to uninstall DeVeDe. Is there any way to prevent ImageMagick from being so pushy if I were to re-install DeVeDe? None of the other DVD creators are anything like as good.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Odd Imagemagick behaviour.

Post by rossdv8 »

Try this ans see if it helps. The instructions will be for Mint Xfce but if you use some strange Mint it will be similar.

Open your File Manager in a folder where there are PDF files.
Right click on a PDF
It should open a Window with the current DEFAULT Application Mint thinks you should use to open the file
At the moment from your post I guess it says Open with Imagemagick
Below that there should be something like 'Open with' >
(and just an arrow pointing out from it that opens another list)
Let it open that other list - it will contain the various Applications that Mint thinks could open that pdf

At this point you can try one of those Applications. Often there are several Apps that can open a pdf.
You might like to see which works for you.

To set the one you want to use as the system Default (You can do this next bit again if you change your mind)
Look at the last item on the list - It should be 'Open With Other Application'
Click on Open With Other Application
A Dialog window will open again. It will also display either a list of Apps that can open a pdf, or something that looks like your main menu.
Either way there will be a [ ] check box at the bottom that says something like:

[ ] use as Default for this kind of file

The words may differ in other versions of MInt but it will be similar.

If you are sure you want a particular App, put a check in the box

[x] use as Default for this kind of file

THEN choose the App you want for opening pdf files.

Hope that helps :)
You can do the same to set your favourite App for opening video, music and other stuff.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I tried to set the PDF viewer as a default but it didn't work. I'll have another go later. Thanks.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Do a Forum search. There have a been a few threads about this problem. Haven't noticed a solution, but maybe I missed it. Unfortunately, I can't replicate the problem, so have no suggestions for how to fix. Good luck.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Thanks. I decided to ditch DeVeDe for now and use Brasero instead.

Return to “Beginner Questions”