Idiosyncratic cries for "help!"

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rich_roast

Idiosyncratic cries for "help!"

Post by rich_roast »

I like this one from the Ubuntu forums:
megouserman wrote: :o omg! my ubuntu updater just stucked!! what should i do O_O :\\\
it just stucked on applying changes mission! omg panic!!
last time i reseted after updater stucked i gained non-working ubuntu omg omg omg
it not continue since 14:00
and now is 20:37!!!
The urgency of the post is probably what gets me. That and calling the process a "mission". I have visions of a panicked user running around the computer in circles, face in hands, crying "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!"

Any others? Judging for the way the problem is worded, not for the problem itself (i.e. no "heh, doesn't know how to Google/use the CLI/compile" on that basis alone).

BTW, at the time of writing it's still unsolved; judging by the screenshot attached apt is stuck setting up python-desktopcouch-records, whatever that is.

I can't help it: kthxbai!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Idiosyncratic cries for "help!"

Post by lagagnon »

...and I hope the poster does not get a response, as that would be pandering to idiocy.

But in all likelihood:

1) English may not be the poster's native language, or the poster is poorly educated or less than 12 years old, or all of these,
2) the poster normally "communicates" via cellphone texting and/or Internet Messenging,
3) ignores standard forum etiquette and punctuation,
4) expects an instant reply (again suggesting normal communication mode = twitter, cellphone text, IM)

Obviously never read or ignores forum rules. But then that seems to be par for the course on many Internet forums, including this one, unfortunately.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Oh, I agree with the assessment, it just that lolcat posts like these pander to something in my sense of humour and there's something precious about them.

I don't see any specifically wrong with this request for help - the poor fellow is having trouble with apt (unless they're trolling), and seems scared to close it in the middle of its "mission", yet is stuck with it going on forever. It's a sad place for a newcomer, or anyone, to be in. I couldn't think of a way out that would satisfy me, but then I'm just inept (inapt? Boom tiss).

It's the expressiveness of the post that caught my attention. I think this post, and others like it, are great for that reason, although I can definitely see how they are an irritant, too, and aren't efficient in actually getting assistance.

[Update] The chap got some help, and the problem was solved by just force quitting Ubuntu updater and updating apt. Then they switched subject to "how to get skype". Reply #9 and counting :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I see posts like that too often and I tend to ignore them or at times I just reply "Please clarify"
(Clarify what? - Everything :))
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

rich_roast wrote:I like this one from the Ubuntu forums:
megouserman wrote: :o omg! my ubuntu updater just stucked!! what should i do O_O :\\\
it just stucked on applying changes mission! omg panic!!
last time i reseted after updater stucked i gained non-working ubuntu omg omg omg
The urgency of the post is probably what gets me. That and calling the process a "mission". I have visions of a panicked user running around the computer in circles, face in hands, crying "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!"
I think you are entirely misreading this rich_roast. :wink: Based on the "mission" terminology, the poster is actually a SOF operative who has just had his rescue mission changed by bureaucrats. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”