Odd and possibly misplaced config files......

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Odd and possibly misplaced config files......

Post by civint »

It appears that I may have stumbked upon a very bizzarre case of trying to find out what xresprobe actually does. The name suggests that it has to do with the resolution.

Me being me, I decided to fiddle, and found out that the 2 xorg.conf files I had were different. :shock:

one was from
/usr/share/xresprobe
the other was from
etc/x11
and while the x11 one was correct, it took me a while to figure out that if I put the correct as a replacement for the incorrect one (usr/share/xresprobe) it would fix it. I have no idea how this worked or why, but I think, since it appears to be the only way to solve a wee bug (after getting the latest nvidia drivers, the resolution gets sucked down to 800x600-Both Myslef and nante have experienced this, but in the thread, which can be found here http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2970 I fixed it by doing what I said above. I am also part of a number of people helping out nante, although my advice which worked for myself appears to be being poo-pooed by people who claim that all conf files can be found in /etc.

This may appear churlish, obstinate and downright upstart-y but I may have found one outside of it, and with changes to it fixed my problem.

Can anyone explain to me why xresprobe is there, and how, if at all it affects the display (in my case, letting me see it in all its 1280x1024 glory.)?

Thankyou.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Xresprobe is a Xorg server "helper" script that probes the monitor's resolution and tries to set it at the best possible for your xorg.conf file at bootup. It is not supposed to matter for VGA connected monitors. If you have a laptop or DDC compliant monitor then it will try to determine your resolution for you and probably bypass the /etc/X11/xorg.conf values. It started in Debian and has trickled down to Mint from Ubuntu. Most people don't even know it is installed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

It should not be using the one in there.
/usr/share/ is a place where doco or default/failsafe/example versions of config files can be found.
eg if you manually install nvidia driver it puts an NVIDIA* directory in there with doco and example xorg.conf files.

It looks like someone has been a bad boy and is using a config file in there. Or the Ubuntu devs missed it or been slack.

I have noticed something that confused me with my xorg.conf file having lots of resolutions but the gnome display resolution applet only showing 2. so this second xorg.conf may explain this.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

It does seem odd. I didn't manually install the nvidia drivers, (i manually selected the driver version I wanted from envy, but that's where it stops...I don't do compiling when possible lol), so they are where they should be.

I don't know what you mean by
It looks like someone has been a bad boy and is using a config file in there
, but that config file was there when I found it...
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I meant they should pay for their sins!!! :twisted:

LOL

they should have put it somewhere like /etc/xresprobe/xorg.conf

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Other topics”