unable to determine the version of kernel sources (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amirhdrz

unable to determine the version of kernel sources (solved)

Post by amirhdrz »

Hi everyone,
Im trying to install the driver for my Geforce 7400 Go graphics card
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -8756.html --> this is the link where i downloaded the driver.
but when i try to install it, it says that it is unable to determine the version of kernel sources located in `/lib/modules/2.6.28-16-generic/build`

before installing this driver i have installed the linux display driver version 185.18.36, according to nivdia website the other driver that im trying to install adds support for my model because my model is not supported in the version 185.18.36. however im currently using 185.18.36 but sometimes like every 30 seconds the screen blinks (becomes black for an instant) thats why i tried to also install the driver which adds support to my model.

from nvnews i found out that the problem might also be that both external vga port and the internal LCD are both on. (my laptop is sony vaio SZ32GP, and i run both win xp and linux mint gloria)
can someone tell me also that how can i switch to LCD only mode. because as i press Fn+F8 (thats the key to switch in win xp) apparently nothing happens.

I have also tried to install the driver from the Hardware Drivers in mint menu but glxgears wont run then.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: unable to determine the version of kernel sources.

Post by Husse »

A new nvidia driver was released yesterday
Try it out - I generally don't recommend "bleeding edge" but it might help you
amirhdrz

Post by amirhdrz »

Thanks Husse, the new driver has worked pretty well so far, I've had no screen blinks since I installed it.
amirhdrz

Post by amirhdrz »

The screen blinks are back again.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll come back to you shortly
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well - here's a solution will put your driver in "Maximum Performance" mode but (hopefully) will stop the blinking

Code: Select all

echo 'options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" ' | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/otions.conf 
This will create the file /etc/modprobe.d/otions.conf
with a content that triggers "Maximum Performance" mode
For a version prior to Gloria the .conf part of the file name is to be removed
amirhdrz

Post by amirhdrz »

Thanks a lot Husse,
I think your solution has solved my problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”