Mint showstoppers

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qbicdesign

Re: Mint showstoppers

Post by qbicdesign »

FedoraRefugee wrote:Listen, while you are standing around waiting on them to fix it for you maybe you will run into qbicdesign...Then again, I doubt he is still around. Meanwhile, I am still here, still using Mint without any problems, and still firm in my position, misunderstood as it is.
Still here ;) and still using Mint most of the time apart from the occasional stray back to XP to use CorelDraw, and being forced to suffer Vista at work (for a few more days at least til my new PC arrives) Mint here i come! lets see how it runs on a quadcore with 4gb ram and 1TB hardrive ;) .... XP will stay in virtualbox...

Installed Mint 6 on my main home PC, and on the whole its very slow by comparison to Mint 5 was - slower I'm afraid to say than XP, so for me Mint 6 is a clear step backwards in performance.
having said that, a few things which I was hoping for have been improved:
- root file editing from GUI is now a lot better
- scanner installation is a little easier than before, tho for some reason i got 2 different scanner utilities in my face on first boot - "xsane" and "scanner utility", anyone know which is better?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

confused.brit wrote:Linux noob/windows poweruser here.

Only one real showstopper to my mint install. The network manager didnt handle my crappy USB dongle very well (based on a Realtek 8187L chip).
You can thank Realtek for that. Very little based on 8187 works as well as we'd like it to, and external USB is probably the worst of all. I'm very disappointed in 8187, but unfortunately it looks like my best hope of getting rid of it from my own personal pocket universe is going to be to scrap my otherwise perfectly functional laptop because my few attempts to swap the internal 8187 card for "anything else" have resulted in failure.

Probably the worst part about 8187 is that it has a linux kernel module in the first place. So linux will actually recognise it, or should, and try to use it. The best function with my 8187 card has always been with Windows drivers. Fortunately, ndiswrapper allows me to use those Windows drivers with linux. Happy day for me.

I find that people are too quick to blame "linux" for their own craptastic hardware, rather than put the blame squarely on the hardware vendors - where the blame belongs.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

confused.brit wrote:ISPs over here in the UK are giving away WIFI routers with the SSID hidden now in order to improve security, so the user needs to learn how to connect to networks that wont show in a scan.
This has to be a sick joke. I don't doubt the veracity of your statement, but do you realize that hidden SSID is actually LESS secure than broadcasting your SSID?

Hidden SSID doesn't keep your radios from broadcasting. It is the fact that network traffic is broadcasting that sniffers zoom in on. Once a sniffer starts recording your network traffic, its easier to crack a hidden network than one that broadcasts. According to the white hats, that is, and not that I'd consider myself one of them. If I'm an anything-hat its a "dunce hat".
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

well it wouldn't surprise me - isn't there a new law in UK that makes you liable if someone else downloads child pr0n on your open Wifi connection?
really... anything stupid seems to go in UK these days...
Fred

Post by Fred »

I am jealous. I don't even own a half decent hat. Just an old beat-up toboggan cap. :-)

Fred
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

The CLI is essential. Period. It's a lot easier to tell a noob to:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install insertprognamehere
than to say (As well, this eliminates a lot of room for error by doing CLI):

Go to Synaptic>Click on Search>Insertprognamehere>Check it>Click Apply

While there are times that I use GUI (Copy videos to a thumb drive), using the CLI is more efficient (Making a backup copy of a root document for example). They both have there places. Heck, Windows still has the command prompt for when things get sticky. It's a part of life.

And I don't even have a hat :( My bad hair day sticks out for the world to see ;)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I wish I still had "hair days." :(
Fred

Post by Fred »

jeff110,

I put in bold the rest of what they actually mean. Linux does work, but it works the Linux way, not the Windows way, the way they know.
New MS converts, people who just want an OS that "works" the way they think it should work.
New users should be in the learning mode, not the "change it to what I think I want mode." How do new users know what to change for the better when they don't even know how what they have works?

That is where the friction occurs. :-)

Fred
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

I agree with you Fred. Take a look at it this way. Somebody switches to OSX and they assume that because they have to do something different, it is magically better (Bearing the APPLE logo seems to help). But put them on a Linux based machine, and they (usually/sometimes) assume automatically that because they can't do their Windows magic on the machine, that it is a failed OS.

Why does it work like that?
rhY

Post by rhY »

Because a lot of these n00bies trying out Linux are greeted with a crap fest of orange and brown delivered from Ubuntu.

This is hugely a bigger deal than the Ubuntu forums is willing to discuss. Ubuntu is UGLY out of the box!
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Not gonna lie, I kind of like the Ubuntu brown. However most people don't, so I could see why it is a problem.
satcowboy

Post by satcowboy »

nice thread ...

1. Firefox dies on some pages with video

I had trouble with Firefox dying on certain web pages. Only pages with videos, but not all such pages. Turned out the Flash installation was old. Problem went away after updating to Flash 10. If the Mint updater can't include updates to Flash due to whatever, maybe it could at least detect that the installation was old.

2. Can't log in to Mint

A few days ago, Mint refused logins on any account I tried. Failsafe login had same problem. And no terminal session option, I think. Error popup said something about GDM authorization, maybe that /home/myself/.gdmrc couldn't be accessed, or something like that. I have Puppy, Mint, and XP on multi-boot, so i booted to Puppy and did filesystem checks of the Linux Mint /home and / partitions. Didn't help. Mint was up-to-date before this happened; Gloria v7 x64. Didn't see anything on the forums. So I've been booting with either Puppy or the live Linux Mint Gloria x64 CD for a few days. Today I decided to debug the problem some more, and booted to Mint without the CD. The problem had gone away! :(

If it comes back I will provide more info.
satcowboy

Post by satcowboy »

If the hardware drivers can detect and identify certain hardware, but can't support it, it would be nice if it reported that fact somewhere visible. Like on a message window on the apps that use that hardware (such as scanners).
satcowboy

Post by satcowboy »

A couple of months ago, needed a scanner to scan some family photos while on a visit. Walmart (at least in that town) doesn't have standalone scanners anymore, only all-in-one scanner/printer/fax machines. Bought a Lexmark. Couldn't get it to scan. Bought a Canon. Couldn't get it to scan. xsane didn't work. Downloading xsane support packs (whatever they're called) and executing them from the command line didn't work: no scan. Took the Lexmark back and gave the Canon to my mom. Who I also installed Mint 7 for after her Windows crashed .... so probably they will wind up hooking the Canon up to my brother's Mac ...
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

satcowboy wrote:Bought a Lexmark. Couldn't get it to scan. Bought a Canon. Couldn't get it to scan. xsane didn't work.
Before purchasing it might have saved you a lot of headache to do a bit of research first to get a recommendation as to which manufacturer's are well supported with Linux drivers.
satcowboy

Post by satcowboy »

lagagnon wrote:
satcowboy wrote:Bought a Lexmark. Couldn't get it to scan. Bought a Canon. Couldn't get it to scan. xsane didn't work.
Before purchasing it might have saved you a lot of headache to do a bit of research first to get a recommendation as to which manufacturer's are well supported with Linux drivers.
Yeah, the Lexmark said on the box it supported Linux, and the Canon model showed up in between two other models with "good" supoort on xsane's list, but that was the one the store had. Foresight rather than hindsight would've had me writing down ALL the models available in the store, and taking the list back to my computer.

Anyway, I was stuck in a hotel out-of-state and needed to get home more than I needed to be sitting around messing with it. So i just took pictures of the pictures with a camcorder.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

satcowboy wrote:A couple of months ago, needed a scanner to scan some family photos while on a visit. Walmart (at least in that town) doesn't have standalone scanners anymore, only all-in-one scanner/printer/fax machines. Bought a Lexmark. Couldn't get it to scan. Bought a Canon. Couldn't get it to scan. xsane didn't work. Downloading xsane support packs (whatever they're called) and executing them from the command line didn't work: no scan. Took the Lexmark back and gave the Canon to my mom. Who I also installed Mint 7 for after her Windows crashed .... so probably they will wind up hooking the Canon up to my brother's Mac ...
Brother printers work really well too...
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

62 posts later and thread still going strong - showstoppers still being posted
I call that vindicated.

here's another:

Mint 7 won't run at all on many of my laptops or PCs. It just sits on the splash screen with the green line zipping back and forth...
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

qbicdesign wrote:62 posts later and thread still going strong - showstoppers still being posted
I call that vindicated.

here's another:

Mint 7 won't run at all on many of my laptops or PCs. It just sits on the splash screen with the green line zipping back and forth...
ROTFL! I am surprised to see you are actually still around. I would have figured you going back to Windows months ago! :lol:

You are vindicated because you can find a few people having problems with Linux? Oh my, someone needs to clue you in that nothing is ever perfect. Maybe we should give them refunds? :roll:
satcowboy

Post by satcowboy »

qbicdesign wrote:62 posts later and thread still going strong - showstoppers still being posted
I call that vindicated.

here's another:

check that you have 1GB RAM or more.

Return to “Other topics”