Is there an upper limit on "activities"?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Is there an upper limit on "activities"?

Post by eco2geek »

Linux Mint Gloria KDE CE + KDE 4.3.1. Very nice. The only thing that didn't work "out of the box" was hibernation (maybe because my swap space isn't big enough?).

Anyway, if you unlock widgets, click the "cashew", and zoom out, you can create numerous "activities" (desktops with their own wallpaper, icon settings, virtual desktops, etc.) and switch between them. My question is, does anyone know exactly how "big" this "activities" space is, and if there's an upper limit to the number of activities you can create? Or is it just limited by the amount of memory you've got?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Is there an upper limit on "activities"?

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint
I made a quick search but could not find anything
I think you have to go through the KDE 4 documentation to find out
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=782
  • Combine Virtual Desktops With Plasma Activities
    The way that KDE sets up activities is clumsy and weird. An “activity” is a group of plasma widgets that you can switch to by “zooming out” of your current desktop and “zooming in” to another.
  • Probably depends on how many plasma objects > you can have running at once
The upper limit will always be RAM (system resources)
--as soon as the number of instances exceeds the amount of RAM (+swap) available to that application, it will hang

If you know how much RAM is being used by the application while running for one instance, you can guesstimate how many instances that you will be able to run, that will be your theoretical maximum

No point in searching unless the Kde developers have limited it in the application settings or you have applied quotas against your users (also limiting access to system resources, storage space or RAM )
dequire

Post by dequire »

DrHu wrote:The way that KDE sets up activities is clumsy and weird.
It's only maybe non-intuitive when you first set it up. After that, it's easy to use key combinations to move between them. You can also just add the "activities switcher" widget and click though your different desktops.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

I think that "clumsy and weird" is referring to the way that KDE handles and stores those activities in memory, as opposed to it's look and feel, since DrHu starts talking about how the activities function

Return to “Software & Applications”