home partition and Mint 7 XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xanin

home partition and Mint 7 XFCE

Post by xanin »

I just can't access my files in the home partition after installing Mint 7 XFCE. The files are there because the space in the partition is still taken, and I obviously didn't format my home partition when installing, but after opening home as root they are nowhere to be seen. I also tried using the live CD, but no success either.

Could someone help me with this?

cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: home partition and Mint 7 XFCE

Post by vrkalak »

I'm having kinda the same problem, but not in LinuxMint.

I am creating a new Debian 6.0 Squeeze - Xfce Edition from the basic Debian Core, and I have a separate /home partition,
as well as, partitions for the other Linux OS distros. (LinuxMint included) (I'm still a n00b with Xfce)

I can find the various Partitions in gparted, but I can't mount them in Xfce?
They show up in Lilo (boot manager) ... I can open them, but not 'mount' them on the Xfce desktop?

Is this an Xfce specific 'bug' ? How can we get around it? Is there a 'work-around'?
How can we 'mount'/'unmount' the other OS and /home in Xfce?
xanin

Post by xanin »

I decided to reinstall Mint xfce7 without using that partition as home, but now I can't even mount it. I can see it in GParted, but I get an error message "Failed to mount "partition", the enclosing drive for the volume is locked".

I can actually open it from Windows using Ext2 IFS, but just cannot see any of my old files, only the newly home files and folders from the previous Mint xfce7 install. The thing is, in GParted I still see the partition with 46GB used while the accessible files add up tu only 4GB. I tried using PhotoRec, but all that it did recover were files even older than the ones I'm missing and I did do delete them.

Very confusing for me, but I can only think that all my old files must be still there within those 46GB of used space.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers!
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

When you install a Linux distro with a datta partition monted on /home , your UserName account will have read and write access ONLY to the /home/UserName directory , and NOT to the rest of the /homne directory.
To fix that you have to re-set the permissions to /home by selecting a GROUP name and making your UserName account a member of that SROUP.
The group could be the same as your UserName , or it could be another group word such as ' users ' .

drwxrwxr-x root users xxxxxx xxxxxx /home

Here the /home directory has read and write to Root , read and write to the group users , read and execture to others. Your UserName set as a member of the grouup=users allows you to read and write to the whole mounted /home partition.

Return to “Beginner Questions”