Win 10 is EOL Oct. 14th, 2025...LOL.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Win 10 is EOL Oct. 14th, 2025...LOL.

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

For all of you who still have to have Windows 10 for one reason or another, This should make your day...Its funny how this is announced on a Sunday, not a regular business day...Guess Microsoft didn't really want to announce this before announcing there upcoming new Windows release.

So much for their "hoopla" about Win 10 being the last Windows and just building constant upgrades to the existing 10...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... er-14-2025

https://web.archive.org/web/20201108125 ... me-and-pro
Last edited by xenopeek on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not a support request or about Linux; moved to chat
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Win 10 is EOL Oct. 14th, 2025...LOL.

Post by RollyShed »

Will the replacement be a subscription type?

Money, money, money..... Ooops, that's the name of a song.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecy ... me-and-pro
does give that Date as Eol
:o

this media hype, that this may literally mean that the “Next Generation Windows” that Microsoft will reveal next week is, in fact,
& is not Windows 10, at least from a marketing/branding perspective.

its may also Finally be an Subscription Model, like MSO 365 is based upon,
but Not for the Domestic Home Market, as such, more likely for the Business sector instead.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

The hype started after the last update of this page on 2021-06-11:
Windows 10 release information | Microsoft Docs
2021-06-14 13-36-50.png
-=t42=-
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:55 am Will the replacement be a subscription type?

Money, money, money..... Ooops, that's the name of a song.
Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

An interesting question is: will the next Windows have a Linux kernel? Will probably happen someday anyhow, so might as well be then.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

An interesting question is: will the next Windows have a Linux kernel? Will probably happen someday anyhow, so might as well be then.... :mrgreen:
Hi Pjotr, do you remember it was about three or four years ago that i said the very same thing and was told that this would never happen ???...lol...I also had said back then that MS would eventually go to a subscriber based OS and was told the same thing...lol...Its not sounding so impossible these days, now is it...lol...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Obviously it's not an insignificant thing, but Microsoft is only dominant on desktop systems. Most "hardware" sold doesn't run a Microsoft-produced OS, and likely doesn't even run any of their other crown jewels (i.e. Microsoft Office, etc.) and this means their mindshare has already drastically shrunk from what it once was. They're desperate, and they'll do whatever they think is going to bring them money and keep them in the game. Obviously, I am ignoring Azure as well as Xbox in that statement, but even when we include that, we're already talking about the subscription model.

Microsoft knows the future is not with NT Kernel; rather, its Linux. That's the future. One way or another, all modern OSs are going to run the Linux kernel or some type of UNIX kernel.

In my opinion, the future for Microsoft is (not that I like all of this, but...) a subscription-based model for their platform, which will be Linux kernel-based, and probably running on ARM in addition to — and eventually in lieu of — x86.

For these reasons and others which are much more personal, I really need to get off, as the British would say, "me bum", and dive head first back into technology. I really think this is one of those times where there's an opportunity to start on the ground floor of something.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

The Microsoft Linux is available from November 2003:
Microsoft Linux - the premier linux distro 8)
2021-06-15 09-48-59.png
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Portreve wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:39 pm Microsoft knows the future is not with NT Kernel; rather, its Linux. That's the future. One way or another, all modern OSs are going to run the Linux kernel or some type of UNIX kernel.
No need to go there, Microsoft may have made half of their profit from Azure Linux installations already. How huge would be a cost of creating the compatibility layer needed to make sure that all the functionality of tenths of millions lines of Windows code will be translated to Linux? There was interesting Hayden Barnes' article last year No, Microsoft is not rebasing Windows to Linux
-=t42=-
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Microsoft will end support for ‘the last version of Windows’ in October 2025
https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/micro ... 12832.html

Microsoft is ending its support for Windows 10 in 2025,
- indicating that the company is moving towards a new operating system.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 43775.html

All of this is part of a greater trend to modernise the Windows experience,
- both with regards to the operating system and Microsoft’s iconic Office products.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:46 pm For all of you who still have to have Windows 10 for one reason or another, This should make your day...Its funny how this is announced on a Sunday, not a regular business day...Guess Microsoft didn't really want to announce this before announcing there upcoming new Windows release.

So much for their "hoopla" about Win 10 being the last Windows and just building constant upgrades to the existing 10...lol...DAMIEN

Microsoft knew we were all in Church :mrgreen:
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

All of this is part of a greater trend to modernise the Windows experience,
- both with regards to the operating system and Microsoft’s iconic Office products.
Hi Pierre,
The way you just worded that was absolutely perfect...That phrase could have come directly from Redmond...lol...So how long have you been a "secret" MS board member...lol...lol...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Microsoft knew we were all in Church :mrgreen:
Yeah they did...lol...They really tried to duck the usual "news cycles" with this one...Not very ususal for MS when they want to make major announcements...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

This seems like they have been forced into action, sort of like when they switched from Windows 8 to 8.1.

If they get Windows 11 wrong, combined with other OS making gains, could Microsoft be on a steady downward spiral? Surely not, but I do get the sense that they aren't the dominant power they used to be. I think anything they've done to make people go elsewhere has been self inflicted, like with the Windows store updates when you log into Windows, totally intrusive and unnecessary. It's as if they think people won't notice.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:46 pm For all of you who still have to have Windows 10 for one reason or another, This should make your day...Its funny how this is announced on a Sunday, not a regular business day...Guess Microsoft didn't really want to announce this before announcing there upcoming new Windows release.

Care to summarize the articles you posted?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Nope...They speak for themselves...The articles surely do not need nor require a surmisation from me, especially to those of us who have good to excellent reading and comprehension skills and abilities...Plus the fact that it would make me more akin to what passes for journalism and journalists in this day and age, when they figure that the viewing audience needs to be Pontificated to after they tell you the news, and then believe you need it explained to you because the "unwashed masses" could not possibly understand it all without their interpretation of what they just read from their teleprompters...DAMIEN
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:32 pm
Nope...They speak for themselves...The articles surely do not need nor require a surmisation from me, especially to those of us who have good to excellent reading and comprehension skills and abilities...Plus the fact that it would make me more akin to what passes for journalism and journalists in this day and age, when they figure that the viewing audience needs to be Pontificated to after they tell you the news, and then believe you need it explained to you because the "unwashed masses" could not possibly understand it all without their interpretation of what they just read from their teleprompters...DAMIEN
Haha. Ok, thanks.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Info about 'Windows 11' starting to surface following some leaks: https://bit.ly/3cMtNbF
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't like the look of the Windows 11 menu and file manager. Almost half the menu filled with "recommendations". Ads will go there I guess. And the file manager's toolbar with a mix of large and small buttons looks cluttered and confusing.

But I do like the window snap button:

Return to “Open Chat”