OStoopid question resolution!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raven_Stands_Alone
Level 1
Level 1

OStoopid question resolution!

Post by Raven_Stands_Alone »

:? Are there any Linux versions that run on Mac PowerPC G4 :?: :?: or is this a hardware question :?: :?:

Just a teensy bit stoopid... :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: OS question

Post by xenopeek »

No, Linux Mint doesn't run on computers with a PowerPC processor. It's made for computers with processors from Intel and AMD.

There are several Linux distros that have a PowerPC edition, like Debian, though the number has reduced a lot over the past few years.
Raven_Stands_Alone
Level 1
Level 1

OS question

Are there any versions of Linux that will run on a Mac PowerPC G4 :?:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Raven_Stands_Alone wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:37 pm Are there any versions of Linux that will run on a Mac PowerPC G4 :?:
https://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/
https://voidlinux-ppc.org

As far as I know, the last providers of current Linux for the PPC processor.
Raven_Stands_Alone
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you, I will take a look. No Mint flavors huh :?:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Two identical topics moved, please do not double post.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:24 pm No, Linux Mint doesn't run on computers with a PowerPC processor. It's made for computers with processors from Intel and AMD.

There are several Linux distros that have a PowerPC edition, like Debian, though the number has reduced a lot over the past few years.

The OP never asked about Mint, he just wants a Linux distro.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: OStoopid question resolution!

Post by xenopeek »

Then it doesn't belong the Linux Mint support section. I'm moving the topic.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

You could maybe compile the kernel with PowerPC support, but that's a much more advanced topic; if you're up for experimenting, learning, and getting your hands dirty (preferably in virtual machines, to begin with), then you could research that. A really quick search got me this:

https://how-to.fandom.com/wiki/How_to_c ... ch/powerpc

I don't know if that is exactly the approach needed and the solution to your problem, and the page mentions an out-of-date 2.6 kernel — the process would probably be quite different, now — but it does maybe demonstrate it being doable. The page just seems to just list options, which isn't really all that helpful, though. Those options are parameters to change how the kernel is compiled and the kernel's functionality.

It's not something a complete newbie to Linux typically wants to be doing, however.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The biggest problem with trying to put Linux on a PPC-based system is that series of CPUs is basically obsolete. You also need to be pretty specific about what you mean by PPC, because (for example) Debian supports 64 bit PPC CPUs, but not 32 bit ones. (They used to, but that support was deprecated a while ago.)

Also, what exactly do you intend to use it for? Linux for PPC (which basically means Linux for PPC-based Macs since non-Mac PPC hardware is pretty rare) has troubles supporting things properly. For example, back when you could still get a current version of Linux for a 32 bit G4, when I tried to use a Bluetooth audio device, it pushed the CPU usage to 100% and kept it there.

On the other hand, when I set up a Mac mini G4 with it as a headless server, that worked beautifully.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I would like to ask the OP a question because I am curious. What does this thread have to do with resolution? I do not understand.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:39 am What does this thread have to do with resolution? I do not understand.
I assumed that they meant their question was resolved, but I may be wildly wrong here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”