[solved]Xubuntu to mint Fluxbox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mizh

[solved]Xubuntu to mint Fluxbox

Post by Mizh »

I have a small laptop [800mhz, 1gb RAM, 80gbHD], on which I have installed Xubuntu long time ago...
Its been a while since I've used the laptop and I have mostly used it for web surfing with my mobile phone as modem, because I have better computers with windows on for gaming and music making... So I haven't really developed any Linux skills yet...
That specified my knowledge about linux, now to my problem:

I have downloaded and burned the iso image for Fluxbox on a cd, but was not able to install it. It seemed to load the mint instalation, but then some error occurred:

"BusyBox v1.10.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-1ubuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) [ 78.378094] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1255808
[ 78.378163] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 156976"

I ran the memtest without any errors (so that means my hardware ain't broken?)

My guess is that I have to format my HD, but honestly don't know if that would solve the problem...
I have tried to search for ways to format a HD with linux on, but have not found anything I could understand and use...

So if anyone knows if formating the HD wont solve my problem, and can direct me to install it correct....
Or if anyone can tell me how to format my HD..
I would be very pleased :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Xubuntu to mint Fluxbox

Post by lagagnon »

Mizh wrote:(initramfs) [ 78.378094] end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1255808
[ 78.378163] Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 156976"
"sr0" is your CDROM drive so there is one of two possibilities with that error:

1) you burned the ISO image incorrectly, at too high a speed, on crappy media, and/or you did not check the md5sum before and after burning, or
2) your CDROM drive is faulty.

I suggest you reburn, at a lower speed, but make sure you check the md5sum first. If that still fails with the same error then you have a hardware fault with the CDROM drive in that laptop (a common fault in older laptops BTW....)
Mizh

Re: Xubuntu to mint Fluxbox

Post by Mizh »

Hmmm the CDROM drive I'm using for that laptop is an USB unit, because it doesn't have a build-in one. But it seems to work fine, on both my linux and windows laptops...

I burned the CD on my windows laptop, along with a copy of mint 7 x64 on another CD, which I managed to install on my windows laptop with no problems, so I don't think anything is wrong with the burned CD, unless I have been unlucky with the media.
can you recommend any program for comparing md5sum files under windows? and is it just the md5sum on the CD and the one from the image file that is to be compared?

I also have an USB key with 8gb memory, that I've tried to install mint with without succes. I have tried to just unzip the files to the key (after deleting everything on it ofc.), that didn't work, then I tried to rename every file containing 'iso' in the file name by replacing 'iso' with 'sys', that didn't work either. Would be nice if I could just use that instead of burning all those CDs :)
Mizh

Re: [solved]Xubuntu to mint Fluxbox

Post by Mizh »

Solved by making a new cd with Mint Fluxbox...
Tested all my cd-drives without finding any errors, then I made a new mintfb disc and then it worked! So I'm now one happy mint fluxbox user :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”