BIN file

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: BIN file

Post by scorp123 »

gerj wrote:How do I move a bin file from my desktop to the '/BIN' directory?
What are you trying to do ?? /bin is usually reserved for programs that belong to the OS and need to be executed during boot time ... It's not something you should mess around with unless you know what you do.

You probably meant /usr/bin ... that's where end-user programs should go. But still: you shouldn't move files into this location if you don't know precisely what you do. As for installing programs: That's why we have package managers such as "Synaptic" here on Linux that will handle these things for us. You're not supposed to install stuff manually (ewwww, how barbaric :D ...)

Can you please tell us more what you are trying to do here?

As for your question:

1. You can have your own "bin" directory inside your home, e.g. /home/youraccount/bin and install scripts etc. into this location (programs installed there would only be accessible to you and not to other users on the same machine ... )

2. The command to move things around is mv .... see the man page: man mv

So what you need is a combination such as ...

Code: Select all

sudo mv /path/to/file/that/shouldnt/need/2/be/installed/this/way /usr/bin
If you destroy your system you will not blame anyone else, OK? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Why not just use the Linux Software Portal? Clem added Real Player today. See post:

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0332#20332
Husse

Post by Husse »

I agree with newW2
Scorp123 wrote
/bin is usually reserved for programs that belong to the OS and need to be executed during boot time ...
So why do you assume "it goes in the /bin directory"?
Depending of what kind of bin file it is you have some options but use the software portal if you have Cassandra. If you have Bianca post back (and give us the name of your file) and I (or someone else will help you get it installed)
Or if you have Bianca find a .deb file for Real Player and double click on it...
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ahhhh

Post by scorp123 »

gerj wrote: What I did was download Real Player for Linux
In the future: Please add such info right away, OK? :wink:
gerj wrote: and it downloads as a bin
You mean a filename such as RealPlayer-Basic-Linux-v4.bin ...?

That *.bin extension is only there for information purposes, e.g. to tell you the user "Hi! I'm a binary. Please execute me!"

Moving this into /bin doesn't do anything :D It just places a file somewhere it doesn't belong :D
gerj wrote: and goes to my desktop.
Because you probably configured your browser to download everything automatically onto your desktop? This can be configured in the "Preferences" menu :wink:
gerj wrote: So, where does it go? How do I run it?
I imagine there are pretty clear installation instructions on the real.com web site? And I am sure there was a README file somewhere somehow? :wink:
gerj wrote: I'm assuming it goes in the /bin directory.
Your assumptions are wrong. You should at least read this before touching your filesystem manually: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fhs
gerj wrote: Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong.
Done. :wink:

Return to “Other topics”