Possible Future Mint Browser???

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JahBless

Possible Future Mint Browser???

Post by JahBless »

Has anyone seen this theme for chromium? They are putting a suite together which is in the making atm, but when I saw this I just thought it had LinuxMint all over it!
http://832062192569656875-a-18027447737 ... n_view.png

More info @ http://sites.google.com/site/chromiumthemes/

Chromium Theme Tools
posted ‎‎Sep 7, 2008 9:15 AM‎‎ by Marc King [ updated ‎‎Sep 9, 2008 4:50 PM‎‎ ]
Our open source Chromium Theme Tools suite is nearing completion of the alpha testing phase, relatively stable betas to follow soon.

nice :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Possible Future Mint Browser???

Post by DrHu »

What are they doing, just popping in a new Logo, and having everything else the same: is that even a theme.
Last edited by DrHu on Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JahBless

Post by JahBless »

Sounds like someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning! :P :lol:

I was referring to the colour theme :idea: ;)

You don't think it would suit mint? Maybe a couple shade tweaks, but also the possibility to customise it as you wish is pretty cool and would integrate the browser more into mint imo.

Edit: On second thoughts, I don't even think it needs shade tweaks :|
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Looks good.

I'm not really for Google Chrome being the main default browser of any OS but I think Chrome is a better "adware-daddy" to support Mint than Firefox just because I think less people would be offended by it outside of having Chrome pre-installed for those who don't want to.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Actually, I've been fairly satisfied with the unstable release of the Google Chrome for Linux (.deb file for 32-bit systems) browser. I use it as my secondary. The pros and cons with it, for me, are:

PROS:
Set-up is easy, and imported all my /.mozilla data with one click and no errors.
Loads pages very fast.
Uses, on my system anyway, maybe a fourth the resources that Firefox uses.
By the same token, this allows you to keep your browser open while running resource-heavy apps.

CONS:
Has few extensions. If, like me, you have five or more extensions running on your browser, you'll have to make workarounds. Which, to be fair, could also be seen as a pro, if you're the type that likes to make workarounds.
It does have an ad-blocking feature, but it's Privoxy, which a lot of users might find unwieldy compared to the ease of Right-click>AdBlock Image.

I do use it as a secondary browser, for the occasions when I want a browser open while doing something resource-heavy like playing Fallout 3 in WINE, for example. Plus, they seem to be updating it on a weekly basis, so they are actively developing it, too. I recommend it. With time, it could become a primary browser, but I don't think it's quite there yet.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I suggest SeaMonkey 2.
It allows removal of both Firefox and Thunderbird.
I runs well with a dozen or so tabs open without overloading my AA1.
Firefox/Iceweasel always pegged the needle on CPU usage after a short while.

from http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
"... Containing an Internet browser, email & newsgroup client with an included web feed reader, HTML editor, IRC chat and web development tools, SeaMonkey is sure to appeal to advanced users, web developers and corporate users.

Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox, Thunderbird, Camino, Sunbird and Miro....."

regards.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

WinXpNewb wrote:... but I think Chrome is a better "adware-daddy" to support Mint than Firefox just because I think less people would be offended by it outside of having Chrome pre-installed for those who don't want to.

What does that mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

lagagnon wrote:
WinXpNewb wrote:... but I think Chrome is a better "adware-daddy" to support Mint than Firefox just because I think less people would be offended by it outside of having Chrome pre-installed for those who don't want to.

What does that mean? I do not understand what you are trying to say.
It means Chrome is much more associated with data-mining and privacy concerns that if you add stuff like Mint Search or ads on the browser, you are much less likely to offend FOSS fanatics than doing anything to their favorite browser, Firefox.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

RichardH: SeaMonkey is a Mozilla Corporation browser, and I love Firefox. But for me Firefox can hover anywhere between 80 to 140MB, depending on what I'm doing, e.g., browsing a few forums, YouTube, Photobucket, etc. What's the difference in CPU usage that you've seen, exactly, between Firefox and SeaMonkey?
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

red-e-made, I can't speak for RichardH and I've never tried SeaMonkey 2 but as a quick reply SeaMonkey is always lighter in memory than Firefox.

I'd probably treat it as an official version of SwiftFox minus the add-ons. Of course that could be part of what makes it lighter.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I first downloaded Googles Chrome Browser back when I was still using Windows. I liked the concept and the ease and quickness of the package Google was building.
Recently, I have used Googles Chromium browser for Linux, since it first became available as the "for Devs only" version and I have seen it grow into a formidable browser over the past few months.

While I really like the Chrome browser and have fun playing with it, I fell that Google has not yet 'come-of-age'. While the Chrome browser package is pretty, simple and fast; Chrome lacks the maturity that FireFox has on the internet with the customization and the selection of apps available for the browser. However, with the financial backing and the many expert FOSS developers Google has on staff, I do believe the Google Chrome browser and the new Google OS will become giants in the computer/internet world very soon. As if Google wasn't already.

It will be interesting to watch. And, perhaps, after the Chrome browser 'grows up' a little more will the many popular Linux Distros include it in the Repositories.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Yeah, I hope that extensions adding lag doesn't end up being the case for the stable release of Google Chrome for Linux, whenever that may be (current version I have installed - from an update a couple hours ago - is 4.0.237.0). They can be resources-heavy, depending on what you use. There are a number of easy workarounds for them, though, such as replacing DownloadHelper with simply opening /tmp while the video is playing. These can make life easier in Firefox.

But as for Chrome, Privoxy's adblocking kinda bugs me, to be honest - many blocked ads are, by default, replaced with either error messages or gray boxes, .gifs are disabled, and inexplicably, video and images from Japanese websites are blocked. But yeah, for doing basic browsing it works perfectly well, and is faster and lighter. I don't see it replacing Firefox for me, though. If SeaMonkey has all the add-ons I like in Firefox, but uses less memory, I can see it becoming my primary browser.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Well my new /old favorite browser is opera 10
It has some features, I like, some I don't

I like (and use; sometimes)
.mht for saving web pages (no Firefox addon needed)
web server, integrated into browser
http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Opera_Uni ... eb_Browser

I don't like or use
Notes, I sent them to /tmp as I don't want them to be retained indefinably
Turbo mode
Speed dial
Edit site preferences
--like adware/noscript, and while in Firefox I am happy to see noscript manage site preferences, I somehow find it more annoying when I can see them directly myself, in Opera Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Content>Manage site preferences
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

@red-e-made,

Currently, while TDY I'm using an Acer Aspire One, 150 GB HD and 1 GB RAM connected to LCD monitor, keyboard & mouse. My problem with Firefox was that it was great at the start but kept on taking more and more resources. V2.x was worse than 3.5.x but neither was without problems for me. My main problem was not so much memory as cpu cycles, and the eventual need to reboot LM7Gloria. Sometimes just shutting down Firefox didn't get things back to normal. The problem was similar on my Core2duo real desktop, just took longer to appear. Both systems running LM7Gloria up-to-date.

Running SeaMonkey instead of Firefox & Thunderbird since 20-Oct-2009.

On the AA1:
SeaMonkey2 currently with 12 tabs open is using 105 MB of memory.
seamonkey-bin cpu 8 - 12%, 105 MB
seamonkey cpu 0%, 76 Kb

sunbird-bin cpu 0%, 13.4 MB (Calendar, pim: not actually a part of seamonkey)
sunbird cpu 0%, 80 Kb,

I have removed both Firefox and Thunderbird since they are no longer needed.
I haven't missed them or the problems they caused since then.

I can now work on OOo documents without delays since Firefox is no longer hogging all the resources.
The SM2 has most of the goodies from FF3.5 so there is really not much missing. Perhaps, that not all extensions are ported. I got mouse gestures working but had to google it; the Gestures Redoux is not working yet. NoScript works fine.
You'll just have to see if yours are supported. If not visit the Seamonkey forum and request the extension update. It might help to get someone interested in updating it sooner.

Regards.
JahBless

Post by JahBless »

Apparently the big difference between Chrome and "Chromium" is that Chrome (when finished) is considered the stable version whereas "Chromium" is the bleeding edge version (latest advancements but with the added strain of bugs n crashes).
For a similar alternative, SRWare Iron for Linux is also underway (Alpha & Beta). I liked it "when ;) " I was running windows.

More about it here: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/06/02 ... -to-linux/
here: http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_news.php
and... here!: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=382

If you are thinking about downloading and installing, I would definitely recommend reading all 3 pages.

@Dr Hu, How do you find Opera 10 on resources? I have read that it is a bit hungry, I felt the same way about it when I was using it(just a hunch as it is so much more than just a browser), but never checked the sysres to find out. The one thing I really liked about it though was the .mht format it saved in.

Edit: Downloaded Seamonkey 2.0. Going to check it out later, if its as good as you say it is (RichardH), it could possibly be my browser/suite of choice (at least until the chrome family become more stabilised).
Last edited by JahBless on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Thanks, RichardH. That actually looks pretty similar to how Firefox runs for me. This is mostly because I run it in sooper-sneekie mode, i.e., no history, no saved passwords, no cache, etc.

There are some extensions I cannot do without. Compact Menu, Add to Search Bar, Adblock and Customize Google spring to mind. Seamonkey didn't have Add to Search Bar, so far as I could see, anyway.

But Thunderbird isn't really an issue for me, because I'd never use that bloaty thing. I delete it first thing, after every fresh install.
JahBless

Post by JahBless »

Just reporting on Seamonkey2. It's nice, I like the way it incorporates 5 different apps in 1. I think it is generally slightly easier on the cpu than firefox, but ram is up at 13% of 1.72Gb (2Gb) with 10 tabs open. Few small niggles here and there but overall its pretty sweet. I think I'll be using it until chromium is finished or until I can find a better alternative.

Tried downloading and installing swiftfox but too many walls to climb before i even get the deb package installed :( (folder is locked, then cant be locked. then it depends on libgtk2.0.0 and i have 2.16.1-0ubuntu2 and i dont know if i can put 2.0.0 on the system without affecting the 2.16.1) sigh... c'mon chromium! :P
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Return to “Software & Applications”