new install and no images

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

new install and no images

Post by twodogs »

i am a new linux and mint user and just installed mint. everything looks great and i really like mint linux. Unfortunately, most of my jpg and png images dont show up. Instead, they show up as plain text files. Does anyone know of this problem and how to fix? thanks for your help.

this is what the message says when I try to open an image....

Cannot open cubecap.png

the filename 'cubecap.png' indicates that this file is of type 'PNG image'. The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type 'plain text document'. If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the correct extension for 'plain text document', then open the file normally.

thanks again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

if you are brave enough already you could use a terminal and some commands.

right click the desktop --> open terminal

the terminal starts in your home directory.
we can use the "file" command to find out what type of file that cubecap.png really is.
lets say the picture is in your "Pictures" directory of your home directory. the command would be.

file ./Pictures/cubecap.png

this will tell you what the file is really. eg asci text, image, elf,...

the file might well be a text file with the wrong extension.

good luck.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

thanks for your help, boo

i did a complet re-install and somehow fixed problem.

Return to “Other topics”