[SOLVED] Linux Mint Update Manager set level of updates and preferences?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Linux Mint Update Manager set level of updates and preferences?

Post by SyncroScales »

Hi,

When using Linux Mint 18.x in the Update Manager, a user is able to set the level of updates to download. E.G.: level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Level 3 and less was considered safe. Level 4 and 5 were experimental and usually broke someones system.

I cannot find that information in Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2. How do I not update everything?

What are? What is this for the system? I understand the automatically option.
1. Update Cinnamon spices automatically?
2. Update flatpaks automatically?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint Update Manager set level of updates and preferences?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, SyncroScales.

The so called Safety Levels have disappeared in Linux Mint 19. No quite sure whether they disappeared in 19.0 or 19.1; but they have been removed.
Instead it is recommended to create a Timeshift snapshot before applying software updates.
In case a software update should really bork your system, then you can return to the functional state before the update by restoring a Timeshift snapshot.
It is recommended not to be picky and install all available software updates. Reason: A lot of software updates fix security vulnerabilities.

So the answer to your question:
How do I not update everything?
is: that approach is no longer recommended, explicity not recommended.
Though I am pretty pestimistic that some "wise guys" will chime in and tell you precisely how to take the wrong turn and block updates.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 840 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

karlchen wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:55 am ... The so called Safety Levels have disappeared in Linux Mint 19. No quite sure whether they disappeared in 19.0 or 19.1; but they have been removed....
Stupid idea IMHO, that was one of the best things about Mint for beginners. Now they NEED Timeshift. Between that and dropping KDE I'm much less of a Mint fan nowadays.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SyncroScales wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:37 am I cannot find that information in Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.2. How do I not update everything?
I would recommend you to, in fact, update everything. The developers do not send us updates because they're bored; they update their packages because they see good reasons to improve the features or the security. If you want to know more about why the level system was deprecated, see this post: viewtopic.php?p=1733133#p1733133

And if you are worried that updates might break your system (which has never happened to me in more than five years, but your mileage may vary), then the answer is Timeshift.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:20 am Stupid idea IMHO, that was one of the best things about Mint for beginners.
No it wasn't. And part of the reason was something said by the OP in their first post
Level 4 and 5 were experimental and usually broke someones system.
This is just wrong but was exactly the thinking that the level system created. Those updates were not experimental. They did not "usually" break your system. The entire idea was to bring attention to updates in those levels. So users would be more cautious about those updates and update them one at a time because they had more potential to cause an issue that newer users might find more difficult to solve. The idea was not that you shouldn't do those updates at all. But that is what it turned into. This idea that these updates were somehow dangerous and should be avoided.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

I tried installing Mint 18.x and accepted everything. That required an install.
Again with only level 4. Re-install.
Again with doing level 4's one at a time and shut-downs to restart. It worked for a short term. Re-install.
Went with Level 3 (there were two checkboxes, I think A and B). At first time only the A or fist choice. Then updates and other installs stopped. Then highlighted B (or the second choice for level 3) and got security and a few kernel updates. That seemed to be a good choice.

When the higher level updates worked, it was great, or slower and then it worked normally.

When I tried to get advice on the forum, I was told don't do level 4 or level 5. Most did it to test or in virtual machines. So it wasn't usually the main system. I was also told to do re-installs after things did not work because the system was corrupted somewhere. I did the commands that were asked.

I'm looking at Timeshift and think disk image or disk clone is good.

Thanks.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.

Return to “Beginner Questions”