Finding Printer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Angelaki

Finding Printer

Post by Angelaki »

Who know which packet is installed in Mint KDE version and can find all the printers in a network? I want to install it in another machine with Kubuntu. The printers are in different networks (192.168.1.xxx, 169.72.xxx.xxx, 10.15.xxx.xxx). I can see them only with Mint!!!

Thanks for your time !!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Finding Printer

Post by DrHu »

More context needed:network, hardware
In terminal, check
  • inxi -F
    --short list of all OS detected hardware
    ifconfig
    --is the network running
    netstat -rn
    Is the network connecting UP
Possibly the printer support is not being installed in KDE for printing (Cups), since there is no particular reason that networking doesn't work in Mint Kde vs Mint Gnome desktop
--unless the network manager application is not working correctly

I believe that Mint 7 (and Ubuntu) both switched out the Kde network manager for the Gnome Network manager, as there had been some problems with the Kde version.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Do I understand you correctly?

Your Mint machine can see all the printers on the network but your Kubuntu machine cannot?

And you want to know what package in Mint makes that possible so you can install it in Kubuntu?

I'm no expert on Kubuntu ( or Mint either :wink: ) but I would think that at that level they are identical.
Maybe it's not a missing package in Kubuntu maybe it's the Kubuntu firewall - just guessing.

Open a terminal ( konsole ? ) in Kubuntu and type smbtree.

What you should get is something that looks like this:
WORKGROUP
\\MACH1 mach1 server (Samba, Ubuntu)
\\MACH1\data
\\MACH1\macbook
\\MACH1\winj
\\MACH1\HP970 HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 970C
\\MACH1\HP970F HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 970C
\\MACH1\Print_to_PDF Print to a PDF File

\\MACH1\IPC$ IPC Service (mach1 server (Samba, Ubuntu))
\\MACH1\print$ Printer Drivers

It should show you all of your shares and all of the printers on your network. If not it should show error messages.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Angelaki

Post by Angelaki »

Printers are stand alone not connected to pc. smbtree show me only the shares from computer in network. I have install VMWare 7 and Mint as guest. Use the same settings as my pc (ip,subnet,proxy) and Mint can find all the network printers but Kubuntu not. Is there any way to find the right configuration to setup my Kubuntu? Two distros play the same time !!!

Thank you very much!!!!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm not running Kubuntu and I'm not a KDE user so I can't help you with how to configure it using Kubuntu's tools but if you absolutely have to get access to the printer there is an "old school" method that works regardless of what distro you're using:

From Kubuntu:

If the printers are configured as Windows Printers:

Open your favorite browser
Type localhost:631
Select Add Printer

In the Device combo box select "Windows Printer via Samba"
Type in the location of the printer,
for example:
Device URI: smb://192.168.0.100/PrinterName

If the Printers are configured as Unix Printers:

Open your favorite browser
Type localhost:631
Select Add Printer

In the Device combo box select: Internet Printing Protocol

Type in the location of the printer, for example: ipp://192.168.0.100:631/printers/PrinterName

In both cases replace 192.168.0.100 with the actual IP Address of the printer.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”