when to use mintInstall and synaptic

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agreif

when to use mintInstall and synaptic

Post by agreif »

Hi,

as a new user to mint gloriaI am confused about the usage of mintInstall and synaptic
1) do they both use apt under the hood?
2) can I install an app with one tool and deinstall it with the other?
3) when do I have to use mintInstall and not synaptic?
4) when do I have to use synaptic and not mintInstall?
5) which tool should I try first if I want to install an app (eg. emacs)?

thanks in advance, and sorry for my basic questions.

Alex.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: when to use mintInstall and synaptic

Post by richyrich »

Hi Alex,
1) Yes.
2) Not until Mint 8
3, 4 & 5) IMO, if I can't find it in mintInstall, I'll go to Synaptic. If I've added other software repositories, I'll go to Synaptic.

The Software Manager (mintInstall) is more user/newb friendly (without having to look under the hood), with the Package Manager (Synaptic) you can get right under the hood, install specific libraries, desktop environments, codecs, etc. (and break things easier!). The sorting features in Synaptic (bottom left buttons) are real nice too.

But it's your choice, as both work great! . . . :)

regards, richy

Return to “Beginner Questions”