No Internet Connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DruKe

Re: No Internet Connection

Post by DruKe »

It sounds like a radio problem.
If you get closer to the AP does the signal get any stronger?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

Can you from a terminal type:

Code: Select all

lspci
and paste the output here please.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

227duke wrote:I am after a solution, in the simplest terms possible, to my problem. I have installed Mint onto my laptop. The 5 graduated bars are showing, but are not coloured in (should they be green?)
...The physical (MAC) address of my laptop is listed in the MAC adress filter of my router settings.

More context is needed: hardware, software
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 61&start=0

Absolutely sure about that
  • Are you using a static (manual, fixed IP) or dynamic (DHCP) setting from the route, for your client connection
Next question
Is the network really running

In terminal, check
  • inxi -F
    --short list of all OS detected hardware
  • inxi -N
    --network card only
  • ifconfig
    --is the nic (network Interface Card) UP
  • iwconfig
    --same as ifconfig for wireless
  • ping -c 4 127.0.0.1
    --is TCP/IP running correctly
  • Ping router's IP address
    --is it available to you: on the same network as your IP address for that workstation
    It is usually 192.168.xxx.xxx or similar; if it is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx then it is not a valid dhcp connection IP address
    http://forums.techguy.org/networking/21 ... dress.html
    (computer)
  • Netstat -rn
    --is the network associated with any AP(Access Point), router/dhcp server
Thirdly, a final question..
Are you behind a proxy IP address on your network, or are you not connected directly to the router, but instead are connecting via ICS (Internet connection Sharing) a la windows host mode support for people who don't use use Ethernet switches/routers (with built-in Ethernet LAN switching) or have more computers than ports and don't mind having a single host computer powered on to forward/manage their Internet connections in shared mode.

Return to “Beginner Questions”