A bring tidings of fancy wallpapers...

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maxsideburn

A bring tidings of fancy wallpapers...

Post by maxsideburn »

Greetings to all, here is my first contribution. More to come
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Egorama
Level 2
Level 2

Re: A bring tidings of fancy wallpapers...

Post by Egorama »

I really like that! very nice.
Dont Believe half of what you see and none of what you here -- Lou Reed
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

arashi wrote:great!
maybe you can put shadows or some other effects to make the mint logo go into the leather(?) background, bringing them together as a whole.
don't know if you can understand my poor english xD
This can be done quite easily with Gimp. See screenshot:
example-screenshot.png
You just need the "bevel and emboss" plug-in. check here

Once installed in Gimp it should be listed under "filters > layer effects". Using "inner bevel" usually has great results. After running the script remove the original layer then adjust with a little hand tweaking of the resulting layers and thats all thats required to create this effect. You will probably need to experiment a bit to get the look that you are after.

Sorry for not posting this sooner, but I dont get to this part of the forum much anymore.
8)
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
fwc

Post by fwc »

This is cool but can someone please post a link to the embossed version in high-res widescreen. Thanks very much.
slider wrote:
arashi wrote:great!
maybe you can put shadows or some other effects to make the mint logo go into the leather(?) background, bringing them together as a whole.
don't know if you can understand my poor english xD
This can be done quite easily with Gimp. See screenshot:
example-screenshot.png
You just need the "bevel and emboss" plug-in. check here

Once installed in Gimp it should be listed under "filters > layer effects". Using "inner bevel" usually has great results. After running the script remove the original layer then adjust with a little hand tweaking of the resulting layers and thats all thats required to create this effect. You will probably need to experiment a bit to get the look that you are after.

Sorry for not posting this sooner, but I dont get to this part of the forum much anymore.
8)
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

This is cool but can someone please post a link to the embossed version in high-res widescreen. Thanks very much.
Im not sure fwc. I dont believe that anyone has posted an embossed version as of yet??? Perhaps someone will. I made the example image from just the screenshot that I posted.

I thought that it might help someone, like the user who asked about doing that type of modification. I would be glad to do this mod if the OP gave me permission and access to a copy without the green logo. :)

In my last post I forgot to mention that this and a whole lot of nice effects are included in gimp-plugin-registry, which may already be installed on some systems. Use your package manager to check or terminal search. If not installed, hopefully there is a version available for whatever Gimp your using or you can try the file from the first post above.

Terminal Info:
Package: gimp-plugin-registry
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 0.5.1-4
Priority: optional
Section: universe/graphics
Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>
Uncompressed Size: 2441k
Depends: gimp (>= 2.2.0 ), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.20.0), libblas3gf | libblas.so.3gf | libatlas3gf-base, libc6 (>= 2.7-1),
libcairo2 (>= 1.5.8 ), libcv1, libcvaux1, libfftw3-3, libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-21), libgimp2.0 (>= 2.4.0), libgl1-mesa-glx
| libgl1, libglew1.5 (>= 1.5.0dfsg1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.15.5), libglu1-mesa | libglu1, libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0),
libgtkglext1, libhighgui1, libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), liblapack3gf | liblapack.so.3gf | libatlas3gf-base, libpango1.0-0
(>= 1.19.3), libsm6, libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1-4), libxmu6, libxt6
Conflicts: gimp-refocus (< 0.9.0-2)
Replaces: gimp-refocus (< 0.9.0-2)
Description: A repository of optional extensions for The GIMP
The package contains the following plugins:

* Black and White Film Simulation (1.1): Converts the selected layer into Black and White using the channel mixer. Tries to
produce results resembling tonal qualities of film.
* David's Batch Processor (1.1.7): A simple batch processing plugin for The Gimp - it allows the user to automatically
perform operations (such as resize) on a collection of image files.
* Dustcleaner (0.1.5a): Plugin to detect and remove dust spots in digital images.
* Exposure Blend (1.3b): Prompt for 3 images in a bracketed exposure series (e.g. 0,-2,+2 EV) and blend these into a
contrast enhanced image.
* Fix-CA (3.0.1): Corrects chromatic aberration in photos
* Focus-Blur (3.1.5): This plugin tries to simulate an out-of-focus blur
* GREYCstoration (2.5.2.1): A tool to denoise, inpaint and resize images
* Layer-Effects (2.4): This script implements the following effects: add border, bevel and emboss, color overlay, drop
shadow, gradient overlay, inner glow, inner shadow, outer glow, pattern overlay, satin.
* Liquid Rescale (0.3.0-2): Content-aware rescaling. Keeps the features of the image while rescaling along a single
direction.
* Normalmap (1.2.1): Allows you to convert images into RGB normal maps for use in per-pixel lighting applications.
* Planet Render (1-2): Creates a planet. Color, size and sun orientation can be set.
* Refocus (0.9.1): The GIMP plugin to refocus images using FIR Wiener filtering. During image processing operations such as
scanning and scaling, images tend to get blurry. The blurred impression of these images is due to the fact that image
pixels are averaged with their neighbors. Blurred images don't have sharp boundaries and look as though they have been
taken with an unfocussed camera.
* Smart Sharpen (redux) (2.4): This script implements the redux version of smart sharpening. It utilizes the Unsharp Mask or
Refocus plugin to sharpen the image.
* Streak-Camera simulation (0.6): A streak camera images an object through a slit - thus getting a "one dimensional image".
This image is propagated along the second dimension of the image plane at a constant speed. The result is a picture of the
time dependency of the object.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I like the original wallpaper and the official logo gives it a little bit of color. Very nice work!
CrimsonBizarre

Post by CrimsonBizarre »

fwc wrote:This is cool but can someone please post a link to the embossed version in high-res widescreen. Thanks very much.
Don't bother asking, I just made one, doesn't look too good. Better off with the logo.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

CrimsonBizarre wrote:
fwc wrote:This is cool but can someone please post a link to the embossed version in high-res widescreen. Thanks very much.
Don't bother asking, I just made one, doesn't look too good. Better off with the logo.
Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One persons junk is another persons treasure! :wink:

This image of the OP is a perfect candidate for the "bevel and emboss" effect IMHO. Also "adding color" is no problem at all. I think that he did an excellent job on it and it is just fine as it is, however, there is nothing wrong with adding your own dreams and visions to something and taking it in a different direction. Look at Linux. We are all standing on the shoulders of giants! This applies in all things I believe.

Please allow me to humbly offer the following as a tiny tutorial, after all we are here to try and help.

The following images were made to the image with the original logo removed.

*Note: The effect has a tendency to look differently on different monitors.
screenshot198.png
screenshot199.png
First notice the image with the red X. This was created using a standard Mint logo. As you can see it's just an indention with no inside shape or form.

When using this effect you must use a "cutout" image having an "alpha layer" in order for the inside area to have any form. Adding text font works the same way.

Adding color is easy by just enabling the original image you used the effect on. You can also change its color at this time as well to whatever you like.

Depending on the shape of the image sometimes adding to much color can cause the effect to look raised instead of inset, so you must adjust it carefully.

The "bevel light" and "bevel shadow" must be adjusted as per image shape, color, background placement, etc, as there is no one setting that can make things look good in all usages. Opacity is key.

Notice the images that the color has been cut-away for you to see underneath that layer. If you stare long enough sometimes the images seem to reverse their effect. (or pehaps I spend too much time in Gimp and it's just me :shock: ) This is an optical illusion, which is basically what the effect is in the first place. WE know that the image is not really beveled right?! Or do we? :D

Can you see the limitless possibilities that exist with this effect alone, not to mention adding color to it as well?

A very interesting crisp inset image is achieved when color is added with just these simple shapes. Imagine what you can do with other things! I've seen a lot of talent here in this forum and at the art site. Gimp through Mint gives all of you the tools. Please don't limit yourselves to whats been done or "thinking inside of the box".

Granted that the "gears" on the Mint logo do not look as well as they should (this could be fixed easy enough), but this image was made just for a demo. Also I figured that it might be left in order to show that effects do not work the same on all images. This is where you must adjust things by hand and eye as I call it. Everyone has their own special little tricks and ways of doing things. I am always open to share mine if asked.

So with that in mind, if anyone would like a copy of the .xcf file of this help tutorial image with all layers intact and labeled, where you can turn them on or off, or adjust them, please just ask. You can pm me if you want.

Again, this is NOT being offered as an wallpaper (I don't feel that would be right), but as a device to help users see, learn and how to use this effect, as the OP's image is such a great candidate for this.

This is humbly presented in hopes that it may help someone in their endeavors with Gimp. :)
Mark Twain
fwc

Post by fwc »

slider wrote:
CrimsonBizarre wrote:
Again, this is NOT being offered as an wallpaper (I don't feel that would be right), but as a device to help users see, learn and how to use this effect, as the OP's image is such a great candidate for this.
This is a very good post and thanks for explaining in more detail the process of your work. I was going to post my slightly edited wall paper but I saw your message above and stopped. Can I post the slightly edited one or should I wait?
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

This is a very good post and thanks for explaining in more detail the process of your work. I was going to post my slightly edited wall paper but I saw your message above and stopped. Can I post the slightly edited one or should I wait?
Your welcome.... I'm glad to be of help! And yes! Please post your wallpaper. No need to ask or wait. :wink: I'm sure that the users will appreciate all of your ideas, help and input on this! :)
Mark Twain
fwc

Post by fwc »

Here it is. If someone wants to do the same with the embossed "Linux Mint" letters next to it, that would be cool.

http://imgur.com/x61ay.jpg
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

This looks fantastic. I'd really like to get the following:

- the wallpaper with no logo on it.
- a version similar to what fwc did, but using the main logo.
- a version similar to what fwc did, using embossing and all, but with colors inside, as detailed by slider.

If we get this fast enough, we're looking at a possible Mint 9 wallpaper here. This is top-class!

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, I found the original background, it's here:

http://www.artofadambetts.com/images/po ... -Plain.png

Clem.
fwc

Post by fwc »

Hey Clem,
Thanks for the compliments and I like this wallpaper so much I am still using it. I will try and do the art soon but I don't have too much time these days so I hope Zwopper can come in. Thanks again.
fwc

Post by fwc »

I think its too late but I have uploaded a Leather Seat wallpaper with the green logo:

Normal: http://imgur.com/sViHc.jpg
Wide: http://imgur.com/c987N.jpg
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Thought I'd join in the fun with this theme :)

jpg follows: Source at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37713389/Leathe ... nt.xcf.bz2
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Love this wallpaper, Excellent work :D

Return to “Your Artwork”