Dual monitor problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ctrl_

Dual monitor problem

Post by ctrl_ »

I got a problem with my dual monitor setup, I don't know if this feature exists but I sure hope it does. Now I cant drag a program from monitor1 directly over to monitor2. I can't find any other way to get the app over to monitor2. I have also tried opening the apps on the second monitor, but some(not all) the just opens in monitor1. I just wonder if there is any way around this.

I'am using Gloria, here: http://pastebin.com/f79a690bb is my xorg.conf and I got a NVidia GeForce 9800 GX2.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Dual monitor problem

Post by kwisher »

Did you install the nVidia restricted drivers? If so, open a terminal a type "sudo nvidia-settings". This should start the nvidia x server settings application as a superuser. Click on the "x server display configuration" tab. Here you can configure your two monitors. I think you need to enable "TwinView" mode and then set one monitor as the primary display and then set the other monitor to left or right to your main display. Hit "Apply" to test your settings. When you are happy make sure you write your click on "Save to X Configuration File".

Hope this helps.
ctrl_

Post by ctrl_ »

Yeah I think I got the NVIDIA restricted drivers, if thats the one you get by the Hardware Drivers app. In the NVIDIA X Server settings TwinView is "greyed" out so I can't enable it for some reason, maybe I don't got the right drivers? I got the ones recommended from the Hardware Drivers app. Named: NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version 180).
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

You have to run the nvidia settings app as root/sudo in order for your settings to be written to xorg.conf. Are both of your monitors on and showing graphics? This should be a very straight forward procedure. Twinview is what will enable your Desktop to span across both monitors and allow you to drag windows and icons from one monitor to another.

Try selecting with your mouse the monitor "icons" in the nvidia app.
ctrl_

Post by ctrl_ »

Yeah I have run the nvidia settings app as sudo. Both screens is on and working but as I said, the twinview option is greyed out so I can't enable it for some reason. Both the other options work and can be enabled.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Your only other option is to uninstall the nvidia driver that came with Gloria and then go to nvidia's site and download the latest driver. There are instructions in this forum for manually installing nvidia drivers. This may or may not fix your problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”