(Solved) Suddenly no sound.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

(Solved) Suddenly no sound.

Post by rdh61 »

Hi,

I've come back to this computer, running Gloria, after 2 weeks absence. On leaving it it had no problem. Nobody else has used it since. On turning on there is no sound - no signature sound, no music, no sound on Skype, nothing. Speaker is not muted. I have sound if I boot into Windows.

What should I be looking at to get my sound back?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
efflandt

Re: Suddenly no sound.

Post by efflandt »

I assume you checked your speaker wires and power.

Did you do any updates that might influence that or use a different kernel, maybe without all the necessary modules? I had been playing around with different Linux distros before hitting Mint and when I updated Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, I lost sound when I booted to the alternate old kernel, but it returned when I booted the new kernel.

One thing that inadvertently knocked out X sound was changing the hostname of mint by just changing /etc/hostname. I thought all I had to do for that to take effect was reboot, but it did not dawn on me immediately why I lost sound, because I still had the little sound before login. X uses network sockets and I also had to make sure that hostnames matched in /etc/hosts. Then sound in X started working again.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Suddenly no sound.

Post by rdh61 »

Hi efflandt
efflandt wrote:I assume you checked your speaker wires and power.
It's a laptop so no wires. Power OK.
efflandt wrote:Did you do any updates that might influence that or use a different kernel, maybe without all the necessary modules? I had been playing around with different Linux distros before hitting Mint and when I updated Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, I lost sound when I booted to the alternate old kernel, but it returned when I booted the new kernel.
No updates since have noticed problem. Don't really know what a kernel is(!)
efflandt wrote:One thing that inadvertently knocked out X sound was changing the hostname of mint by just changing /etc/hostname. I thought all I had to do for that to take effect was reboot, but it did not dawn on me immediately why I lost sound, because I still had the little sound before login. X uses network sockets and I also had to make sure that hostnames matched in /etc/hosts. Then sound in X started working again.
Don't know what "X" is. Haven't changed hostname or tampered with the etc directory.

Is there a way I can get sound back by restoring Mint, and if so, how do I do it?

Again thanks.
rdh61
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (Solved) Suddenly no sound.

Post by rdh61 »

Solved by referring to the "comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide" at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449/

In my case typing "alsamixer" in a terminal I saw that all my audio channels except "Master" were muted. Unmuting them solved the problem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”