viruses?!?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flukee

viruses?!?

Post by flukee »

hello people! iv been searching around the net and have heard that there are quite a lot of viruses for Linux(though no were near as much as for ms!) soo i have a question, have any of you ever been infected by a virus on your linux boxes and also could some one please tell me which linux viruses are the most dangerous and abundant. thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: viruses?!?

Post by ibm450 »

ok, this is cool, cant wait to hear what they are...
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Where exactly did you hear that?

Yes, there are Linux virii, but they were created as a proof of concept and totally failed to spread outside of /home
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Which exactly why you have to enter a password before you do anything with a remote possibility of being dangerous...
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

flukee wrote:hello people! iv been searching around the net and have heard that there are quite a lot of viruses for Linux(though no were near as much as for ms!) soo i have a question, have any of you ever been infected by a virus on your linux boxes and also could some one please tell me which linux viruses are the most dangerous and abundant. thanks in advance.
FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, FUD, and yet more FUD.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
Dean

Post by Dean »

been running Linux for a couple years now with no virus protection, and no virus infections. There are a little more then 40 known viruses for Linux, most of which where developed in testing environments, and none of which have caused wide spread damage. That is compared to Microsoft's 100,000 plus viruses, 100's of which have caused wide spread damage. Simply put, Linux is way more secure and chances are if you ever did get affected, its because you gave a virus permission to do so.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

flukee wrote:hello people! iv been searching around the net and have heard that there are quite a lot of viruses for Linux(though no were near as much as for ms!)
That statement is blatantly false. Please tell us what websites you were visiting.

Methinks I smell a troll....
Amos

Post by Amos »

I too posted a thread about virus but was more about best way to do things and I know my best way of not contracting a virus, at first I felt a bit vulnerable because so many years sitting behind a AV scanner and linux you dont need 1, maybe a few people feel this way too
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Image Image
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Good read on Linux Malware. From the Wikipedia page:
The Linux operating system, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as well-protected, though not immune, from computer viruses, compared to Microsoft Windows.

There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces; this is commonly attributed to the malware's lack of root access and fast updates to most Linux vulnerabilities.

The number of malicious programs—including viruses, Trojans, and other threats—specifically written for Linux has been on the increase in recent years and more than doubled during 2005 from 422 to 863.
flukee

Post by flukee »

thanks peeps! i feel alot safer now--linux all da way!lol
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

Image Image
rob2uk

Post by rob2uk »

Interesting, yes, but it's no more a 'malware package for Linux/UNIX' than Java exploits are.

Return to “Software & Applications”