Helena KDE CE update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Helena KDE CE update

Post by Boo »

So where is Mint 8 KDE CE upto I hear you ask.
I have been spending alot of time testing and hoping Ubuntu would fix some of the installer problems of 9.10.
I have not been all that impressed with the installation of 9.10, I can not install any 9.10 release above the beta on my development system, it would not also install on my mythtvbox
The install problems are to do with dmraid and ubiquity and multiple disks an even single disks.
I expected Ubuntu to respin a 9.10.1 due to these problems but that has not happened yet.

Appart from the install problems, KDE is great, the list of apps is final.
There is a new Mint KDE logo so I have to swap that in a few places, icons and wallpapers, but this is harder than it sounds and im no gimp/inkscape master, or apprentice even.
Generally all artwork changes have to be done, usplash, kdm etc.

Im also changing the method of some changes to use the new mintSystem changes system instead of packages and hacks.

Cheers
Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
dequire

Re: Helena KDE CE update

Post by dequire »

Thanks for the update!

Sorry to hear about your install problems. I have installed Kubuntu 9.10 on 3 PC's and a notebook with no issues so far. But I do not use raid or have multiple internal drives (though I do have multiple external drives).

Since upgrading to KDE 4.3.3 I have no issues so far except KPackageKit. And a burning desire / wish that Mint KDE and Kubuntu used wicd instead of NetworkManager or KNetworkManager. It works better and has no Gnome dependencies.

Looking forward to the RC. Will 4.3.3 be available at the time of releas?

[edit] to mean 4.3.4 =)
Last edited by dequire on Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrender

Post by wrender »

Are you going to ship kde 4.3.4 with the final release?
wrender

Post by wrender »

4.3.4 comes out in 3 days.... I think it is worth the wait to ship a KDE product that has been fully patched up for release.... but that's just my 2 cents.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

KDE 4.3.4 just has to hit the ppa repos in time.
I may just wait for that since it makes the live iso more stable.

artwork related stuff is what is slowing me up the most now: Usplash, icons, backgrounds, kdm theme...
so plenty of time for 4.3.4 I guess.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Sheepeh

Post by Sheepeh »

I can't wait to see the next version, I'm actually satisfied enough with the current one that I've not even bothered trying out Main 8 yet. As I'm sure most people would agree, one of the reasons Mint is better than Ubuntu is that it isn't released to a "hard" deadline even if it's not ready - I'd much prefer it a few weeks later and have a smooth experience than have something half-baked.

@Boo - Is there a Twitter/Identi.ca feed to follow for updates, in the same fashion as the Main one? No bother if not, I'm just incredibly nosey, really!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

@Boo - Is there a Twitter/Identi.ca feed to follow for updates, in the same fashion as the Main one? No bother if not, I'm just incredibly nosey, really!
Boo gives occasional reports on his progress here. The new release will be worth the wait. :D
Sheepeh

Post by Sheepeh »

exploder wrote:
Boo gives occasional reports on his progress here. The new release will be worth the wait. :D
Oh, aye, I'm certainly not complaining about any lack of a feed. I just like to have everything pushed to the desktop these days rather than check a forum on the off chance - but I'm sure I'll find out about it as soon as it happens through other people I follow regardless - quite a few people I follow are interested in checking it out.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Boo wrote:KDE 4.3.4 just has to hit the ppa repos in time.
I may just wait for that since it makes the live iso more stable.

artwork related stuff is what is slowing me up the most now: Usplash, icons, backgrounds, kdm theme...
so plenty of time for 4.3.4 I guess.

Boo
Boo,

I don't know which KDE version was shipped by openSUSE 11.2 or Fedora 12 because i am not
an iso hunter anymore. (Debian/Mint) are enough for me. I think every new KDE version may improve
the system. Some enhancements and small bugs fixed. Just a thought.

Well, just wait for it (KDE 4.3.4) if you want to and see the results
Meanwhile i am quite satisfied with Mint KDE 7 "Gloria" 8)

Cheers
Roberto
wrender

Post by wrender »

I was so impressed with the Mint KDE 7 that assuming all is good with Mint KDE 8 I'm going to wipe all my family's computers of Windows Xp finally and just install Mint KDE 8.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

I've been all over the place as some folks have told me. FWIW: Linux Mint 8 running KDE 4.3.3 works. Don't know anything about KDE 4.3.4 or 4.4 I was of the opinion that Ubuntu was great, then Kubuntu, nope. Always those nagging little bugs and you could not understand half the stuff on the forums. For awhile I had Linux Mint 7 x86_64, Gloria using a Kubuntu desktop, big mistake. The added things Ubuntu puts into Kubuntu makes getting something installed and compatible very difficult to say the least. I finally settled on Linux Mint 8 adding KDE on the HD in my laptop and Fedora 12 with KDE 4.3.3 running from a USB HD. Both work fine, but, different. The spice of life, something else to learn. Who knows next year I may tackle Arch, well, I did say maybe. LOL Keep up the good work, and don't rush into anything, you guys are GREAT.
Sheepeh

Post by Sheepeh »

bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

phaedrusgbe wrote:Hey guys,

I burned MInt Gloria KDE about a week ago and installed it. Heard about the release of Helena so I decided to do a dist upgrade, but noticed it won't let me install mint-meta-kde (I read an upgrade howto which included installing mint-meta-main and mint-info-main, so i figured i'd try mint-info-kde (which worked) ajnd mint-meta-kde)

So...having not read that these packages were waiting for a KDE release (today, i think), I started installing mint-meta-main, which included a lot of gnome stuff (not desired). I haven't run apt dist-upgrade yet, so do you imagine i'll run into conflicts, or just have some gnome stuff on top if I run dist-upgrade? Or, is mint-meta-kde coming out soon?

Sorry if the answer was clear from the context above, I didn't see it.

Love Mint and the KDE4 is finally working well! =)
I'm not running the original Mint KDE or any variety of that version. I know they had it in Mint 7. I installed Mint 8 Helena, the original Gnome version, then added KDE on top of that, so, yes I have both. There are no conflicts with the two sets of packages. I can change to Gnome at login. It is simply a matter of getting all of your updates done in Gnome then typing "sudo aptitude install kde" (without the quotes) after the second restart. Hope this clarifies it.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

phaedrusgbe wrote:Right on,

I figure I'll just install the gnome version too, then make sure the new kde's installed. I'd just prefer to keep the gnome off since I don't use it.

Thanks
After installing the KDE restart and make sure you check KDE in the choice button, bottom left at login screen, from then on it logs you into what ever you were in when you logged out or shut down.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

KDE 4.3.4 has just become available in the ppa repo. I just installed the new KDE packages in kubuntu with no problems.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Me too...everything is running fine :wink:
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
hunkirdowne

Post by hunkirdowne »

Will there be a Live CD? I have a couple old laptops I'm using and neither one has DVD capability. I guess it should go without saying that USB-boot is also not an option.

If the Live ISO is a DVD I would like an alternative installation method and am open to suggestions. Installed on at least one system is Kubuntu 9.10 and Linux Mint Gloria XFCE CE. The Gnome variants do not run well on these boxes and I have a couple issues with Kubuntu in the graphics department (often have 'blanks' form in the GUI; sometimes will not load the GUI at all) but Debian 5.0.3 with KDE runs well. I'm guessing/hoping that Helena KDE will run better than Kubuntu. I would settle for Gloria KDE but that Live ISO is DVD-sized as well.

-HD.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

hunkirdowne wrote:Will there be a Live CD? I have a couple old laptops I'm using and neither one has DVD capability. I guess it should go without saying that USB-boot is also not an option.

If the Live ISO is a DVD I would like an alternative installation method and am open to suggestions. Installed on at least one system is Kubuntu 9.10 and Linux Mint Gloria XFCE CE. The Gnome variants do not run well on these boxes and I have a couple issues with Kubuntu in the graphics department (often have 'blanks' form in the GUI; sometimes will not load the GUI at all) but Debian 5.0.3 with KDE runs well. I'm guessing/hoping that Helena KDE will run better than Kubuntu. I would settle for Gloria KDE but that Live ISO is DVD-sized as well.

-HD.
Linux Mint 8 Final is a Live CD, not a DVD. If you install the disk and add KDE to it you should have no problems.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

The kernel version 2.6.32 has just been released. Any chance that's going to be included in the upcoming Mint 8 KDE?
olligod

Post by olligod »

KDE 64-bit

When will you switch Mint-KDE to 64 bit?
THIS TIME ??

Please consider it seriuosly, at least for Mint-9.
32-bit is SOOO nineties (or more seriously, to do 64-bit today is just state-of-the art).

There are more and more strong conputers that require it (when RAM gets even bigger).
I understand manpower may be limited - I doubt that you will lose may a user when shifting to 64 bit.
Possibly fewer than you may win.

I thank you very much for your past work, especially exploder and boo, great work.
But once again: Please consider...

Thanks a bunch.

Return to “Software & Applications”