Why Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: Why Mint

Post by lagagnon »

Some say better artwork and also of course the codecs are pre-installed. An easier to navigate and friendlier forum perhaps?
There are 3 video players because many people prefer one over the other....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

For me the GUI was the main selling point for me.

I never liked panels at both the top and bottom and I never liked fly out menus.

Plus Mint in general has a more polished look and feel.

Just my opinion of course.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

There are only three video players, because you wouldn't want them all......

Why Mint?

I switched from Ubuntu to Mint because I am disatisfied with Ubuntu's move towards embedding retail facilities in the default installation.
Matt3223
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matt3223 »

I am relatively new to linux and have moved from ubuntu to Mint mainly because the distribution feels a bit more focused on the everyday end user. Yeah, Ubuntu is working towards that too, but Mint seems to take it one step further.

A bit more polished feel to things as well, xChat opening straight to help...that's cool, I like mintUpdate being selective based on safety risks to kernel updates etc. Easily select codecs if desired. Actually the pdf manual made a big impression on me! Very nice for a new user. All the mintApps are nice additions that add to the experience.
Bit Mad

Post by Bit Mad »

Mint has 4 workspaces (use ctrl-alt-left/right arrow keys) - Ubuntu has only 2.

Mint allows ctrl-alt-Backspace to log out - Ubuntu doesn't.

Mint has a file browser option "Open as Root" which gives you a folder view with privileges (and red background) - Ubuntu doesn't.

Mint looks way cooler, I'm a big fan of the colour green, the fonts in Firefox look better, I prefer the menu and having no Gnomey-bar at the top (but I don't fancy KDE).

Nice community feel to the support forum here, although Ubuntu's is fine, just so much busier it can be a bit much.

Just some of my observations so far :)
gn2

Post by gn2 »

Bit Mad wrote:Mint has 4 workspaces (use ctrl-alt-left/right arrow keys) - Ubuntu has only 2.
Both Ubuntu and Mint can be customised to have as many workspaces as you want, so long as you don't want more than 36.
Bit Mad wrote:Mint allows ctrl-alt-Backspace to log out - Ubuntu doesn't.
That can be changed by the user.
Bit Mad wrote:Mint has a file browser option "Open as Root" which gives you a folder view with privileges (and red background) - Ubuntu doesn't.
Very simple to achieve similar in Ubuntu and for the number of times you'll need it, there's little point cluttering up the right-click actions list imo.
Bit Mad wrote:Mint looks way cooler, I'm a big fan of the colour green, the fonts in Firefox look better, I prefer the menu and having no Gnomey-bar at the top (but I don't fancy KDE).
Looks are a matter of opinion, fortunately it's possible to customise just about everything to your own preference.
http://gnome-look.org/
For example, I like having two panels in Mint and I don't like or use Mint menu.
That's the joy of Linux, you can make it what you want.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

gn2 wrote:That's the joy of Linux, you can make it what you want.
Exactly. And that is why I really cannot understand the distro fan-boys. In essence Linux distros of the same vintage are all much the same. They probably have exactly the same kernel and all the same applications related to their desktop environment. The only big differences might be the package manager (DEB, RPM, TGZ, whatever), the system configuration utilities and the eye candy/themes. The latter can be easily changed.

We tend to make a big song and dance about the small stuff - which can easily be changed anyways. It tells me that many of us are superficial computer users.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I would have to say though I like Ubuntu the Mint Forum users drew me in, the way they help the end user and just the friendliness of the group overall is 2nd to none. So why not Mint! :D
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

lagagnon wrote:
gn2 wrote:That's the joy of Linux, you can make it what you want.
Exactly. And that is why I really cannot understand the distro fan-boys. In essence Linux distros of the same vintage are all much the same. They probably have exactly the same kernel and all the same applications related to their desktop environment. The only big differences might be the package manager (DEB, RPM, TGZ, whatever), the system configuration utilities and the eye candy/themes. The latter can be easily changed.

We tend to make a big song and dance about the small stuff - which can easily be changed anyways. It tells me that many of us are superficial computer users.
Yes. But Mint is the distro that will attract this type of user, after all, that is the main goal, to make an easy, trouble free Linux where you don't have to tinker with it.

I am with you, sometimes it is hard to restrain myself from posting smart-arsed answers to some of the comments in here. Like how Ubuntu 9.10 sucks but Mint 8 is the bomb for instance :roll: For real...But I try to be understanding as to where others are coming from.

My wife used to use my desktop before we bought her a laptop. I was running Fedora 100% back then. I would play with other distros in vmware. One day as I was making the change between versions of Fedora with a clean install I decided to try the latest Ubuntu on a whim. I installed it on the HD and tweaked it with my personal theme and wallpaper. I set things up just like i do in Fedora. My wife used Ubuntu for a couple weeks and never even knew the difference. Of course she never installed packages or tinkered under the hood. But just from using OO.o and FF and the few other apps she used, it was all the same to her.

To the OP, why Mint? Because it is set up to be trouble free, it is easily installed and you do not have to tinker with 3rd party repos or proprietary codecs. I can install Mint on almost any computer with 15 minutes and be totally, 100% tweaked and finished in that time. It is rock stable and requires no upkeep other than an occasional update. Everything just works. It also happens to be the best default implementation of Xfce, my DE of choice. But other than all that, Linux is Linux and if you become moderately proficient you will be able to make any distro behave as you wish.
Seventh Reign

Post by Seventh Reign »

Bit Mad wrote:Mint has a file browser option "Open as Root" which gives you a folder view with privileges (and red background) - Ubuntu doesn't.
"Very simple to achieve similar in Ubuntu and for the number of times you'll need it, there's little point cluttering up the right-click actions list imo."
--------------------------------------------

I use it a few hundred times a week.
Kestrel1

Post by Kestrel1 »

I have been using Ubuntu for a couple of years & then tried Mint 7. I can't say that I like one over the other. I currently have both Ubuntu 9.10 & Mint 8 installed. Mint 8 is a great improvement on 7, but then again Ubuntu 9.10 is a great improvement over 9.04. I have tried other Linux distro's, but normally come back the the debian based ones. I think Mint is a bit more polished than Ubuntu, but I love both.

Return to “Beginner Questions”