live CD works fine, installed on HDD gives a blue screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sonics
Level 1
Level 1

live CD works fine, installed on HDD gives a blue screen

Post by sonics »

After I installed mint 3.0 on my harddisk I boot via HDD for the first time.

During the first boot my HDD is checked and it gives a failed error after the check is completed :s

I reboot again and I see the mint linux splash screen, but when the time is there that the GUI is being loaded a blue screen appears. I can still hear the HDD working.

I don't have this problem when I install a different distro like pclinuxos 2007.

My hardware is:

Asus p5b deluxe, E6400 core 2, 2GB mem, nvidia 7600GT, 2x SATA HDD 250GB, 2x SATAS HDD seagate 500GB (i installed it on one of the 500GB).
I have winxp on a different HDD.

I use two 17"LCD screens.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint sonics
A couple of questions
Do you have two RAID configurations?
If so which RAID (0 1 5 ...)?
But you write
(i installed it on noe of the 500GB).
I suppose noe is a typo for one and that doesn't indicate RAID.
You could possibly overcome the blue screen by using the "vesa trick" described in the howto:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
Not that I understand why the video driver could be a problem in the one but not the other case, but it's worth a try.
It could also be that there is a nasty error on your harddisk and the install is corrupted. If you changed a partition in any way on the disk you installed on the partition table may have gotten screwed up - that happens.
What else do you have on the disk you installed Mint on?
sonics
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonics »

But you write
(i installed it on noe of the 500GB).
I suppose noe is a typo for one and that doesn't indicate RAID.
You could possibly overcome the blue screen by using the "vesa trick" described in the howto:
Not that I understand why the video driver could be a problem in the one but not the other case, but it's worth a try.
It could also be that there is a nasty error on your harddisk and the install is corrupted. If you changed a partition in any way on the disk you installed on the partition table may have gotten screwed up - that happens.
What else do you have on the disk you installed Mint on?
It was a typo indeed ;) corrected it. I dont use raid.
I tried the install on an empty disk and with a smaller partition (150gb) while the rest was NTFS, ending with the same result.

I kinda ruled out a possible disk error, due to the fact that the pclinuxos 2007 install worked fine. But I want to use mint, and not pclinuxos 2007 :p

Could it be mint is trying to push a resolution by default my LCD display can't handle?

I will try the VESA way, and then try to install it on one of the 250 GB drives... when my gf is from my main pc that is.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Hummmm This may be totally nOOb, but isn't the PCLOS boot menu a blue background? I wonder if the menu list in grub is calling the PCLOS boot menu background? Perhaps after the menu is written?
sonics
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonics »

well PCLOS works on my pc. and yes, it is blueish.\

Mint hangs halfway the bootup. :(

Im going to try to switch SATA ports as well.. when my girlfriend is gone from that PC.
sonics
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonics »

Husse wrote: You could possibly overcome the blue screen by using the "vesa trick" described in the howto:
You were very right. The vesa trick did the job. Though i Dont understand why the live CD did work with the nv driver and the HDD install didnt.

Once booted i had my 2nd challenge to get my wireless running. I have a ralink RT2561 WPA encrypted

I had to do configure it manually the terminal box way, tnx to the ubuntu forums.

I hope they make this easier in the future :s
Husse

Post by Husse »

Though i Dont understand why the live CD did work with the nv driver and the HDD install didnt.
Neither do I - computers....
Don't forget to get the nvidia driver installed - use envy -t if you like the terminal or -g if you want to go the GUI way
Vesa is rather horrible...
sonics
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonics »

Husse wrote:
Though i Dont understand why the live CD did work with the nv driver and the HDD install didnt.
Neither do I - computers....
Don't forget to get the nvidia driver installed - use envy -t if you like the terminal or -g if you want to go the GUI way
Vesa is rather horrible...
I had already installed the nvidia driver via admin -> restricted driver manager

I guess it installed the same driver as via envy.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I guess it installed the same driver as via envy.
Yes

Return to “Installation & Boot”