LMDE4 Clean Install with BTRFS @ and @home subvols on same partition

Write tutorials for LMDE here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read forum rules
griffintwosix
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE4 Clean Install with BTRFS @ and @home subvols on same partition

Post by griffintwosix »

Finally found a workaround to get @ and @home sub volumes on same partition. I list out all the steps I did but unsure as to get screenshots, so if you can follow a list of commands you should be fine.

<note> This tutorial is for LMDE4 only! The LMDE5 installer will automatically create the subvolumes. </note>

1. First boot up LMDE4
2. at the desktop open installer in text editor. Change Exec= from live-installer to live-installer-expert-mode. Save
3. Run installer
4. At Partition screen. Choose Manual Partitioning. Create new gpt partition. partition like you like just make sure you assign your boot, and root to /@.
5. let installer finish
6. ((( DO NOT REBOOT ))). Hit the NO to exit installer back to live.
7. Open terminal
8. lsblk command to list out your drive. ( mine were on nvme0n1p3 for root, yours maybe sda3 )
9. sudo mount /dev/XXX# /mnt (XXX# is your Drive set for root)
10. ls command. you should see @ listed
11. sudo btrfs su cr @home. run ls again you should now see @home listed too.
12. Copy your user folder from @ to the new @home. ((( I used sudo mc to copy from one @ to @home )))
13. sudo chroot /mnt/@ you should get a root prompt
14. find @etc/fstab file and copy UUID=###---## / defaults rw,subvol=@ 0 0. on another line and change the / to /home and subvol=@home. save
15. for recovery I passwd root and gave it a password to open up root user for recovery.
16. exit exit
17. Reboot and good luck

This is the steps I did to get @ and @home subvols to work on my drive with out having to put on separate partitions.

Good Luck :D
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added note, see below post by monsta
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LMDE4 Clean Install with BTRFS @ and @home subvols on same partition

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: itarill's questions about issues with their specific install can now be found here Questions about EFI install on LMDE4 with BTRFS.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: LMDE4 Clean Install with BTRFS @ and @home subvols on same partition

Post by Monsta »

Note: in LMDE 5 this isn't necessary anymore. You just assign the / partition, and the installer will automatically create both subvolumes on it.

Return to “Tutorials”