Install Software from Source Code

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dexter23
Level 1
Level 1

Install Software from Source Code

Post by Dexter23 »

Hi guys

I want to install Wireshark and from the official page i've download the source code.

I extract the archive in a folder and now what command i need to do for install?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Install Software from Source Code

Post by spamegg »

Hello Dexter23
Would it be OK for you to install Wireshark from the repositories? It's available in Software Manager
wireshark.jpg
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Dexter23 wrote: I want to install Wireshark and from the official page i've download the source code.
Be aware that Wireshark is available for installation via the Software Manager, which is far easier than building from source. That said, if you'd still like to do so, the Wireshark documentation details how ...

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_htm ... hSetupUNIX

Also review Section Two, Part 4 here ...

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158

... and ...

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=230142
Dexter23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dexter23 »

Hi

I have install via :

sudo apt install wireshark

Anyway in the case i need install a software then provide only source code, i need to check the "INSTALL" file and then run:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Dexter23 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:48 am Hi

I have install via :

Anyway in the case i need install a software then provide only source code, i need to check the "INSTALL" file and then run:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Right?
You don't have to click/open "INSTALL" (but you probably should), and, if you're lucky, those three commands are what you need to install most software from source. "most"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
spamegg
Level 15
Level 15

Post by spamegg »

Dexter23 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:48 am Hi

I have install via :

./configure
make
sudo make install

Right?
Generally that is true, however there are a lot of different kinds of projects, programming languages and build structures that can require different instructions and build tools, like git, meson or ninja etc... They also have different requirements that you have to install, in different ways.

In addition, often the build instructions will be lacking some crucial info, or might be out of date!

In each individual case, you have to read the instructions provided by the developers. For example I had to compile Mint's Xreader app from source one time, and I had to hunt down some dependencies that were not listed, and I also had to install and use git, meson and ninja.

In general it is best to avoid building from source as much as possible, and use it only as a very last resort if you are desperate.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing from source code doesn't usually involve anything that simple. It's usually a lot more complex and it's easy to break the OS if you don't really know what you're doing. There's a reason that beginners are usually advised to stick to the default repos.

The last time I installed anything from a tar.gz file was a backported wireless driver. That was probably 8 or 9 years ago since I think it was for Ubuntu 13.10. But I really NEEDED that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

If you are building from source, then do not forget build-essential . - Big surprise: you need a compiler and linker in order to build software from source code. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been desperately fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 840 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”